Attempted murder charges filed...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by firebug24k, May 20, 2013.

1. firebug24k

firebug24k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.10news.com/news/2-injure...dge-police-say-driver-hit-motorcycle-05192013

This is incredible. I know these things happen out there, but this just scares the crap out of me.

For those that don't know, the Coronado Bay Bridge is a very tall bridge connecting San Diego with Coronado "island". It's a few hundred feet high and pretty long (maybe half a mile?), with concrete barriers in the middle and on the sides, and usually a lot of traffic (especially at 5PM). So the normal techniques of just plain avoiding bad drivers are a lot harder to execute (but of course not impossible) in a situation like this where you're quite restricted in where you can go to get away.

I live about 5 minutes away from there, so this is right in my backyard. Scary.
  2. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Dang. :eek1

Doh. :huh

In my younger days I was a bit more assertive/aggressive, but no more. Against a car, a motorbike brings nothing to the picnic.

--Bill
  3. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice work by the copper!
  4. psychopompos

psychopompos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think of all the times when shit like this happens and there isn't a an off-duty cop there to witness it...

On the bright side, this quote is pure gold: When asked about her side of the story, the woman said, "Honestly, I have pneumonia. I have no idea what's going on."
  5. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Further proof that starting a sentence with "Honestly," means "I'm about to say some lying shit." <!-- / message -->
  6. mneblett

mneblett Professional Lurker

Oddometer:
    Followed by something like "I was on my phone, I didn't see what was happening."

My question is why didn't the reporter respond with: "Do you really think anyone is going to believe you were in a road-rage incident that stretched over a mile with verbal exchanges, wild lane changes and a collision, and you don't know what happened??"
  7. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Riding up 5 over the cause way the other day on the BMW and I was thinking..."That rail sure is awfully low.", those two are lucky to be alive. :huh
  8. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably... Or, and this is really scary, she sat through the whole incident and really didn't see or understand anything. She sure doesn't sound like someone who's suffering from pneumonia, pretty hale and hearty with a clear voice. Probably just covering for her husband/boyfriend and his maniacal driving. How cool is it that this asshole was caught??? I wonder what his sorry road-raging ass felt when he looked into the barrel of a gun in the hand of an apparent OTHER road-rager before he realized he was a policeman? I hope that gave him pause, maybe scared him shitless. And bravo to the prosecutor for filing attempted murder charges! Damn right...

I am happy the rider and his passenger weren't killed, and thrilled that the jerkoff car driver was caught. I completely agree with the poster above who said you can't win against a car. I watch like a hawk for erratic behavior and just try to stay out of it's way.

Doug
  9. PT Rider

PT Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great way to raise a child.:eek1
  10. red450

red450 Stuff

Oddometer:
    Mental note. Buy GoPro/Contour and record every commute.
  11. D R

D R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While in principle this sounds like a good idea be careful what you ask for. If you produce as evidence a segment of video which shows one particular traffic incident, be prepared for every second of every video you have ever recorded while riding your motorcycle to be subpoenaed and scrutinized for any and all traffic infractions you may have made.

If you're going to record your commutes as a means of legal protection/evidence, be certain you stick rigidly to ALL traffic laws, to include the speed limit.
  12. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    just delete the videos after each non-eventful commute.
  13. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

Most people who record their commutes for this purpose delete each day where nothing significant happens.

It's what I would do...what's the point of having thousands of hours of video lying around that is all boring commuting?

That said, if something noteworthy DID happen in a video, you had better hope you weren't being an ass 15 minutes prior doing something stupid because it will look really suspicious if you edit the video to only include the part you need :lol3
  14. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    talk about lucky that off duty cop was there ... otherwise that road rage driver would probably gotten away with attempted murder.
  15. firebug24k

firebug24k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's the bridge - I agree they're lucky they didn't get knocked over the side. It's not a real high rail.

[​IMG]
  16. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    This story confirms one of my biggest fears on a bike. There are just too many angry, frustrated drivers who lack self-control/morals. I never, ever get into it with car drivers when I'm on my bike.

Since I'm local, I'm going to follow this story closely. I wonder if I know either party involved since I'm involved with both the BMW car club and the motorcycle club...

Btw, does anyone else see the irony of one BMW inline 6 hitting another?
  17. SamRus

SamRus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having Pnemonia has absolutely no effect on the memory whatsoever! Cough, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain are the common symptoms. Her explanation is pathetic. She's definitely trying to cover up for the driver.
  18. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Try being on a bicycle with those kinds of people on the road.

Not only are you vulnerable, you can't get out of the danger area with a twist of the wrist!

:eek1

I have driven AND ridden across that stretch of freeway, as well as up and down the 5/805 corridor many, many times. 99% of the people out there are just trying to get home. ...but... there's that last 1%. :rolleyes

I hesitate to think what would have happened if the off-duty cop hadn't been around.

Westbound at 1745? I guess the eastbound traffic is much higher than the westbound, huh? Otherwise, HowTF could a car have kept up with a MC in traffic?!

M
  19. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that didn't quite work for TrickyDick, eh?

20. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had the lucky opportunity to spend 3 weeks on Coronado during the winter. That bridge is spooky to ride and no shoulder. :uhoh You can see how narrow it is in the corner.

It's a 5 lane bridge with a moveable center divider. In the morning it's 3 lanes one way, 2 the other. In the afternoon it's opposite.

I'm really glad the officer was there to nab this a$$hole. :clap

I found this:
    "The San Diego-Coronado Bridge, locally referred to as the Coronado Bridge, is crossing over San Diego Bay in the United States, linking San Diego, California with Coronado, California. It is the third deadliest suicide bridge in the USA. Between 1972 and 2000, more than 200 suicides were committed on the bridge. Hard to believe when you look at this romantic shot below."

[​IMG]

No shoulders, nowhere to pull off.
    [​IMG]