Broncos Country

Discussion in 'Sports' started by spanky, Sep 18, 2009.

1. spanky

spanky Well, maybe....

Oddometer:
    What a fitting way to open up the season! A new coach and (mostly) a new team ready, willing, and capable of putting another spankin' on the Cleveland Brownies.

I'm thinking it'll be Broncos 24-13.:deal
  2. Greco

Greco Braap!

Oddometer:
    So, one miracle pass and your ready to believe? I'm still not convinced. The defense should hold the Brownies to 10 points, but can the offense improve enough in one week to score more than 10 points? Don't know. Looks like a 10-9 loss to me.
  3. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    I just watched the Earnest Byner fumble again. God, what a painful loss.
  4. spanky

spanky Well, maybe....

Oddometer:
    Byner's fumble was aided by Jeremiah Castille. I remember Carl Mecklenberg jumping up and pointing in the other direction immediately after the fumble and then the TV picture started to shake so bad that it was hard to focus on the images. Good 'ol Mile High.....damn if we didn't lose the magic when they replaced it with Invesco Field.
  5. spanky

spanky Well, maybe....

Oddometer:
    Absolutely not! Just wanted to throw out some semi-inflammatory material out there to torment the few Brown's fans on the site (where's Rider?).

Here's what I saw last week; Denver has yet to jell as a team and isn't fully immersed in the offensive scheme. The Denver defense is coming along but I'm not sure if they have the right players in the right spot, time will tell. Orton's a journeyman QB and nothing more than a stop gap until we get someone else. I'd like to see Brandstater, their third stringer play sooner than later.

Oh, and Brandon Marshall won't be as rusty as he looked last week.

As for the Browns I see Quinn continuing to struggle. He'll be facing a Denver D that abused Carson Palmer and he's no Carson Palmer. Mr. Quinn, meet the turf of Invesco Field!

The Browns D will have some success against Denver so I'm seeing a less then impressive running effort from them.

Overall I see Denver as being somewhere between 8-8 and 6-10 in their first year under Babyface McDaniel.:baby
  6. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    I'm a Bronco's fan but think they will choke this week. They did not look good at all last week except on defense. We have essentially no offense until we get a real QB.

T.
  7. spanky

spanky Well, maybe....

Oddometer:

...but I'll take 27-6 any day.:clap
  8. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    1. Mr. Quinn-- meet Elvis, Elvis is in da house. :thumb

2. :nod-- Jurgen predicts 5-11.

Jurgen
  9. Norhasken

Norhasken Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer:
    The more the Broncos win early in the season, the more painful it will be when reality raises it's ugly head later in the season.
  10. Jurgen

Oddometer:

Ah, The Steelers, Giants, Colts, Cowboys-- all push overs. :patch
  11. Norhasken

Oddometer:
    It makes me think of the students marching off to war in "All Quiet on the Western Front". There is another reality yet to be revealed.

I can't wait for Brandon to do an Uno Cinco act after a couple losses. :lol3
  12. spanky

spanky Well, maybe....

Oddometer:

Ya think? I dunno, I think most Denver fans are more realistic this time around and pretty much feel that Orton's nothing more than a temporary replacement until something better comes around. Jurgen's prediting 5-11 but I say they do no worse than 7-9 and who knows, maybe they'll surprise/upset a few teams.
  13. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    "I feel the whirl of the vortex sucking me slowly, irresistibly, inescapably into itself."
    - Erich Maria Remarque, All Quiet On The Western Front, Ch. 4
  14. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    I will be estatic if they go 8-8 this year.
    Of my pre-season five wins, we've done two. A sweep of KC and a split with Oakland.

Jurgen
    (That is the benefit of lowered expectations)
  15. PaleRider

PaleRider gelande/strasse

Oddometer:
    they have two QBs who are better than Orton sitting on the bench. :deal

Did you see the first half of yesterday's game? Who, exactly, was Orton throwing to? We're lucky they were playing the Browns and at home :deal

These "easy" wins are all we are going to get if the offense doesn't gel, soon! Orton doesn't have the skills (field vision) or arm strength and accuracy to lead Denver much of anywhere except to disappointment.

McDaniels and Cutler both fugg'd up :nod
  16. Norhasken

Oddometer:
    You just wiped out realism with the expectation of a few upsets. :lol3

I for one would like to see McDaniels fail utterly, for the Cutler disaster. This is like going back to the John Ralston days.
    Maybe it's time to blow the whole thing up and take a longer term view of rebuilding.
  17. spanky

spanky Well, maybe....

Oddometer:
    I agree but the scary scenario is what it will take to give either of them a shot at starting.:eek1

Yes, I saw it and Orton's play had me rethinking my vow to NOT drink before 5 p.m. I'm no football guru but halftime seemed to give them a chance to catch on to what the Browns were doing defensively and adjust accordingly. Now, where was Hillis when they needed <3 yeards for a first down? On the bench. Mickey D's play calling seems to be rather suspect but hey, I'm all for giving everyone the benefit of a doubt and just want to see things get better.

Don't think of Cincy and Cleveland as "easy" wins, think of 'em as the extended preseason! Or, look at it this way; Denver's 2-0 against the state of Ohio!! Regardless, they will get better and it's nice to see them out of the rut Shanahan drove them into. And won't it be nice to see them play Oakland without the rancor of Shanny's pissing match with Al Davis?

There isn't any doubt that both Mickey D and Cutler screwed up but as I watch JC play in Chicago I'm reminded of how he used to play here: One week we wanted to enshrine him in the HOF, the next week we were ready to lynch him. His record speaks for itself: 17-20 as a starter for Denver whereas Orton's something like 23-2. Stats don't lie.
  18. spanky

spanky Well, maybe....

Oddometer:

It's better than Lou Saban's "half a loaf" strategy.:nod
  19. Norhasken

Oddometer:
    As a Bronco lover, I could never reference Lou in an appropriate comment. :lol3
  20. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    I was just looking at thread titles here in Sports. I thought, "God it must suck to live in Ohio."--

Cleveland Browns, Cinci Bengals, The Tribe, The Reds, Pete Rose, Ohio State (that can't win the important games) Long Cold Gray Wet Cold Gray Winters.

Jurgen