1. sciaticnve

sciaticnve zzzzzzzzzzzz

Oddometer:
    Anyone been out on the 395 lately? Will be moving and am planning on riding the GS from San Diego to Carson City. Any info appreciated, looking on leaving late next week.

Thanks
  2. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    The high Sierra passes are closed for the winter, but 395 itself is usually OK. You can get updates here:
    http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/Hourly

Oh, and I see you're from San Diego, so I should add: bundle up!! :D:vardy
  3. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Current temperature in Lee Vining: 16°F. Wear electrics.

Fortunately we're in the midst of a dry spell now, but some of the passes along 395 can and do close (or require chains) in foul weather. The highest ones are at 8000+ feet.
  4. sciaticnve

sciaticnve zzzzzzzzzzzz

Oddometer:
    Gents!
    Thanks! I have heated gear ready to go! Accuweather shows some nicer temps for the end of the week.

Elliott
  5. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Us 395 is usually dry up to Mammoth Lakes... Assuming no recent storms.

My experience is once you get past Mammoth you can have ICE anywhere until you get to the Carson Valley.

Good weather is melting snow, which of course can run across the road. We just lost a good ADV inmate in this situation in the Sierra's.. Let's not have this happen again..

Highway US 95 through Tonopah is in the dry part of Nevada and may be a better option.. In Bishop head east on the the 6 and 360 cut offs to get to 95 without actually going to Tonopah though. We ride to Tonopah every January and never have ice unless it just snowed, then it sublimates quickly because it never gets over 32 degrees.

I'd only do this with electric clothing and survival clothing just in case the electrics fail... Not to mention other survival gear.

Good Luck. (I'm trying to get to Truckee on the bike myself :lol3 negative 15 last night!)

6. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went to Bridgeport today. Going through the canyon from Walker to the Pickle Meadows turn-off had a lot of icy spots from the recent snows and sub-zero temps, especially the turns in shade all day. Caltrans is keeping it sanded and slurried (well sanded)! Four of the trucks loading with me came from the south. They said Conway Summit also had some crappy spots. Be careful and if you are hitting Bishop late, I recommend drive the extra miles and go over US 6 to 95 and up to 50. Shady spots will start icing up around 3 from the day melt.
  7. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you start up and the weather turns bad. You can turn into Nevada and go up 95, then 50 to Carson. I have had to do that a couple of times. The highest point on 95 is thousands of feet lower than 395. Dave
  8. chrisBTSC

chrisBTSC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I drove down 395 from Minden to Death Valley on January 2nd and just outside Bridgeport I was seeing -12 on my trucks thermometer. It was damn cold and very icy from Minden to Bishop.
  9. sciaticnve

sciaticnve zzzzzzzzzzzz

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the updates. I think I'll stick to the 95 route, a bit longer but safe!

Elliott
  10. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a 3-4 day trip up the 395 to Mammoth. Does anyone have favorite side trips that branch off the 395? I've been travelling up and down the 395 for 20 years and I rarely deviate since I'm always "going skiing." Time to explore some beautiful windy roads in the Sierras and the range east of 395 (Whites?). I'm open to dirt roads that are easy on the GSA. Thanks!
  11. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely the Whites. I rode my V-Strom to Patriarch Grove a couple of years ago with a buddy who was on an Aprilia Falco -- if he could make it, so can you.

Sherman Pass is fun too.
  12. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    Make your final decision in Bishop. If 395 is iffy, take 6 north and work thru the Nevada ranch country to 50 into Carson.Just be sure you check your map. Living in Bishop, I use this route all the time.:deal