Rear Brake Lever Install Help

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by murdock84, Jun 1, 2012.

1. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered a Tourtech rear brake lever with the folding tip. I got the stock lever off and found that the Tourtech one needed the rear hole where the pin goes drilled out a little to get the pin back in. Anyway when I went to put the pin back and then install the brake lever the part that the pin attaches to came out of the little rubber boot. It doesn't appear to want to go back into the rubber boot and stay in place now. It looks like there is grease in there. How do I get this back in there properly?

Hell installing the GPS mount and wiring it up was easier then taking a bolt off the brake pedal and trying to get it back together.

Thanks!
  2. JRP

JRP Old guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing really holds that rod in except friction with the rubber boot if it is not attached to the brake lever. Just put it back in place and install the connecting pin.
  3. Angryrican

Angryrican Beer lover

Oddometer:
    put it all together and step on it and it will go right back in, had the same thing happen when I installed mine including having to enlarge the hole a bit
  4. murdock84

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. The bolt that holds the lever on won't go the whole way on now either. I think the threads are screwed up. Everytime I take something off, I have trouble getting it back on for some reason.
  5. murdock84

Oddometer:
    Got it all back together, hopefully correctly. Went out and bought a tap and die kit and that was the trick. I tightened it up to the specified tourque but had to loosen it up so the brake lever would return. Will ride it on Sunday to see if everything is fine. There is a little left and right play in the lever, is that normal?
  6. Makalu

Makalu Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m getting ready to switch over to the TT rear brake lever also. After a quick look at the stock lever, how do you get that spring off to remove the lever?
  7. murdock84

Oddometer:
    I think it will come off when you unbolt it. I just went out and looked at mine and I don't recall anything giving me a problem except the threads in the bolt hole.
  8. JGoody

JGoody Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you mean up and down play -- like the lever doesn't fit quite as precisely in the perch? If so I noticed that when I put in the Touratech clutch lever. Bothers me but seems to work fine.
  9. murdock84

Oddometer:
    No, the play is from bike side to away from the bike. Haven't had any issues since the install and it has gotten bounced around some off road, so I'm guessing it isn't going anywhere soon!
  10. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last night I wanted to install my Touratech folding rear brake lever (which had been on backorder for weeks with my dealer) and it just didn't look like it was going to be right...

My bike if a 2013 (if that makes a difference) F800GS and the stock foot brake lever curves above the foot peg and down to where you step on it. The Touratech appears (unless I've REALLY screwed up) to curve BELOW the foot peg and then back up to where you step on it.

This doesn't look right and it seems that the foot brake arm would now be the lowest part on that side of the bike and the most likely to touch the ground first when heeled over in a tight turn.

Is this the way it's supposed to be? Or did I end up with the wrong part or something?
  11. cchoc

cchoc Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer:
    Thr picture on the Touratech site looks like it goes over the peg:

[​IMG]
  12. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. cchoc

cchoc Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer:
    Ah, I see. The picture I posted was the folding adjustable one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  14. Nacho911

Nacho911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the cost is should come with a high definition video for the install.
  15. Angryrican

Angryrican Beer lover

Oddometer:
    It is the right brake lever, it threw me off when I got mine since it curves under the foot peg but it fits and works fine.
  16. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    My dealer changed the brake lever to the adjustable one (which I thought was the one I ordered originally) and this one fits ABOVE the foot peg. Even if the other one does fit, I didn't like it because it would be the lowest point on that side of the bike and the first spot to scrape ground in tight leaned over corning.

Tried to install it last night and couldn't get the original bolt open. Ended up rounding the head of the bolt and now it's going to have to be drilled out. SIGH I don't know if it was over-torqued at the factory or if they used Red Loctite or what, but even with a properly fitting torx bit I just couldn't get it off.

Luckily I've got my first service on the bike in the morning and I'll get the dealer to fix it for me.

17. murdock84

Oddometer: