Maine Riders

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by PWRCRZR, Oct 17, 2008.

1. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Good to see you two again!

[​IMG]
  2. AndyCap

AndyCap Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer:
    A picture of Tin Man smiling? Can't be.

j/k. It was a pleasure to meet you Tin.
  3. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting, Lance had not posted anything for awhile so I assumed things were not going well. He told me of his many fights with cancer. He certainly put up a good fight so I guess it only fitting that his time for rest had come. His last trip out west was his victory lap
    RIP Lance glad we had a chance to meet
  4. scottbed

scottbed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have some questions for you guys. I hope you can help if you don't mind.

I want to do a 5 day DS ride starting at Moosehead Lake, ME next year. I was going to follow this ride starting from Moosehead. I did the Puppy Dog to Pittsburgh, NH to Moosehead portion last year and that was a lot of fun.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530858

Because I can only do 5 days I was going to follow their route to Van Buren, ME. That takes me to Houlton the first night and Van Buren the second night (but maybe further, I think that leg seems short). We were doing 250 miles/day last year but I feel like 200 miles/day is more comfortable and fun.

My plan is to turn west and hit the western border of Maine and then turn south back to Moosehead.

Can anyone help me plan a route after Houlton and back to Moosehead where we hit Moosehead on the end of the 5th day? I would be really, really psyched for the help. Maybe we could even jump into Canada and rip West above the Maine border. I don't know, maybe there is a better idea for the entire trip.

One huge question I have is timing. We will be camping or hitting lodges (not sure) but I don't want to get eaten alive by insects (maybe I'm over thinking that and should just tough it). I was hoping maybe early next year, like May/June time frame. Another concern is mud...I would rather things dried out a bit but have no idea how northern Maine will be.

Another major concern is road access, I've seen some posts in this forum about restrictions and don't want to get up there and having to back track big chunks of mileage all the time.

All thoughts and advice is welcome...gpx tracks would be even sweeter. Thanks!!!! (oh, and my condolences to OhBoy and family, may TheMobb rest in peace)
  5. BKMLWR

Oddometer:

read and understand the following link....check the maps for the area covered by the NMW
    http://www.northmainewoods.org/information/thingtoknow.html
  6. scottbed

scottbed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that.

Ok, that puts a dagger in the turn west strategy from the northeast part of Maine. Maybe I could do the NB ride if I do 250 miles/day....some of their legs are very short, like 100 miles. Another thought is to go west through Canada and come back south on the western side of Maine through Canada.

Fargggh! Not sure what do do now, I'll have to rethink this.
  7. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bugger. I wish I was going to be around to ride, would love to make another ADV connection. Trails are in good shape up here, you should have a good time.
  8. 2twisted

2twisted NRTHJSTNRTH

Oddometer:
    Sorry man, thoughts and prayers to family/friends.
  9. Tslapper

Tslapper #!/usr/bin/perl -wT -I.

Oddometer:

Can't say I knew him but still sorry to hear. Will do.
  10. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. BKMLWR

Oddometer:
    had a great ride around downeast Maine for 2012 "Last Ride"
    8 bikes, +1 one more later in the ride. Big thanks to inmate Mainerunner from East Machias who did a little pre run scouting and added to the ride with great break stop.

left Brewer at 8 in a little drizzle, clouds broke in Machias, a little supper at Nicatous Lodge and home at 8pm...
    a good day's ride..279 miles

end of day marred by idiot pulling out in front of me into my lane and forcing me into the other lane...I mean really....can't see a headlight within 200 feet of ya????? at 8pm????
  12. Tslapper

Oddometer:
    After 797 miles this weekend and 3000 miles last weekend, lets just say tommy boy is all tuckered out. Might be time to pursue the other hobbies for awhile. :lol3

What an incredible ride I had yesterday taking the slow way home!

Thanks again goodole!

[​IMG]

Slabfest to Cromag...

[​IMG]

Slow way back to Maine...

[​IMG]
  13. TinMan207

TinMan207 Most often a lurker... Supporter

Oddometer:
    If anyone EVER says anything bad about the "performance" of a KLR (I Know, who would EVER say such a thing)... I will tell them to ride behind Dave for a little while! Great trip over Guys!

<iframe src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/2106804047_xTJ5ZRf?albumId=25548200&albumKey=XwSSdV&width=480&height=320" frameborder="0" height="320" scrolling="no" width="480"></iframe>

I offer great accolades to my riding partner Jenn for sitting behind me and actually TAKING this vid and other pics while WE were all playing.

[​IMG]
    Her USUAL view...

[​IMG]
    She definitely got into the ADVrider spirit!

Thanks to all the Maine riders (and others) who made it a great couple of days for us, and I'm sorry to have missed most of you because of my need to return early....
  14. mikewillsmith

mikewillsmith Not the f'g fresh prince!

Oddometer:
    Happy Mainer's on the way back from Cromag. :D:D

[​IMG]
  15. Tslapper

Oddometer:

The unnamed:
    "I need to be home by dinner".
    "I want to be home by 5".
    "I should get home soon".
    "I really got to get home before bed time"

Goodol: "Hey, you guys want to take the long way home?"

The unnamed:

OK! :lol3
  16. PWRCRZR

PWRCRZR Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    Being one of the above unnamed, I can honestly say I am glad I did not say no to a chance to go on one of Goodol's Magical Mustery Tours :super

And damn I have a good wife she said she expected me to be that late, had the garage open with the light on and supper on the stove when I walked in :raania :clap:clap
  17. Tslapper

Oddometer:

Yup, hard to turn down more riding.

What a fantastic ride back to Maine that was!
  18. goodolguzzi

goodolguzzi Guzzen around the hood

Oddometer:
    :D :lol3 :D

It was way2nice and we where way2close not to!!!
    Glad y'all hadAtime...340ish miles when i got home :eek1
    We even found some new goods to add to the track files
  19. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm totally bummed I missed Cromag now that I see the route you guys took home. Anyone have a track of that ride home they would like to share?

Also, maybe this request was mistimed, but a couple days ago I was posted the following and wondered if anyone had any beta for me?

I have some friends from NH that I want to meet in the Bethel area to trail ride next Saturday. However, I don't know anything about trails in that area. I'm looking for 5-6 hours of riding, and want trails, not dirt roads. Any thoughts?
  20. 2twisted

2twisted NRTHJSTNRTH

Oddometer:
    Another great ride in the books, Goodoles gps madskillz. :clap

Rolled in about 7:30 last night, beat/tired and hungry. :freaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]