Lane Splitting

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by MrBob, Oct 3, 2012.

1. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm about to visit the great state of California and I've never ridden where lane splitting is allowed. What do I need to be aware of to be a successful lane-splitter?
    Mind you, I'll be on a fat-assed Concours so I don't plan to be squirting in and out of narrow spaces.
  2. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:
    Start slow, only do it at stop lights to filter to the front. Slowly work on reading traffic, work up to slow moving traffic.

you have to learn to read minds and look for subtle clues. Stay away from splitting the carpool lane, that requires esp. that only comes with time.
  3. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Watch the side mirrors on cars (from a distance) and as you get closer, watch the drivers' hands on the wheel. This will give you clues as to what they're about to do before their car starts to move. Keep your speed differential at the 10-15 mph range, no more. Not enough time to react, especially on a big Connie.

Run your high beams.. helps you be more visible, especially since so many cars now-a-days have their lights on during the day.

When you're done with your trip, go home and get ready to start harassing the hell out of local politicians to legalize lane splitting in your state. We need it legalized everywhere (IMO)!

Rob
  4. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pin it.... Only the good die young:freaky
  5. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    a few different schools of though on this. I deploy the they don't see me and want to kill me version for the commute to and from work, splitting between a gap is a no-no for me, opportunistic cages will try and squeeze in. Some folks will see you and let you by no issue, some hate you. better to be in high radar mode the whole time. The filter approach first is good so you get comfortable with the big squeezing between the cars. Been doing it for 20 years now and you get a sixth sense about it, but you cannot rely on that alone. It is a battle field :D

ride within your limits and the law is safe and prudent so don't push your luck :ricky
  6. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Too late for that!
  7. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    You're gonna be slow as hell, watch your six and don't hold up other bikes...you get about a five count and we're gonna find a way around you, you might not like some of them.:evil

Leave your high beams and head light modulators at home, it's bugs the hell outta everybody.:deal
  8. MrBob

Oddometer:
    No worries, when I can't hold my own with punks on two or four wheels it'll be time to park the bike.
  9. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

So, you're not coming?

Seriously, get out of the way...CHP will split faster than you'd think was possible...don't get in the way.
  10. MrBob

Oddometer:

I'll work on the ESP thing. Living just down the road from Boulder was a good start. :D
  11. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Not evern close dood. Traffic in CO moves at a snails pace, and a fraction of the volume.

AS had the best advice. Just take it easy with that boat. We don't need a sig alert for a so-Cal noob. :rofl
  12. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    Back in the 70s 80s and part of the early 90s we all did it. Motorcycle commuters were abundant and cars expected them. There were trains of 3 to 6 bikes several times in an hour commute splitting the No1 & No2 lanes. Even the Cops were in it. Not so any more. Bike commuters now are few and not expected. The imaginary motorcycle fast line does NOT exist anymore and it would be foolish to try it in moving traffic. Enjoy the freedom at traffic lights when cars are stopped. But the days of safe lane splitting in moving traffic are over.
  13. Shunka

Shunka Supervision Required

Oddometer:
    Good advice for you already. Seriously take it easy.

If traffic out here isn't crawling along bumper to bumper it's moving at 80+ bumper to bumper. I'm seriously surprised we don't have more accidents than we already do.

Watch yourself out there.
  14. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Some good cautionary advice here. Based on my limited experience, I'll try to give you a little of what to expect from drivers of cars:

The Good:
    20% of cars will actually attempt to make space for you, and the rest are not really paying attention. In heavy traffic, drivers will often switch lanes without signaling, trying to find the better flowing lane. This happens mostly at around 10-15 mph, so I avoid too much splitting in moving traffic. Above that is illegal anyway.

I agree about not going more than 10 mph faster than the rest of traffic. If the cars are stopped, and you are doing 10 mph, you can't get hurt too badly.

The Bad:
    When it comes to really fast lane splitters, it is easy enough to pull into a lane to let them by. This means you will have to be watching your mirrors while also remaining focussed on the cars ahead. The bigger the city, the more of these you will see.

The Ugly:
    Aggressive lane splitting will encourage about 5% of drivers to attempt to block you. If you experience that, don't fight it, just drop into traffic and find another way around. Watch for people opening their windows to throw something or spit at you. It hasn't happened to me, but it does happen. I have seen videos where riders got mad and kicked at cars. That will trigger full road rage from those 5%ers, and possibly get you killed. Let them think they won, and they will go back to their smug, caged existence.
  15. Tragic Image

Tragic Image Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're kinda out of touch I think. When was the last time you commuted on a bike in LA?

I routinely see other riders, in groups on the 60, 91, 5 and 405.
  16. K. L. Rocket

K. L. Rocket Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer:
    "Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner."
    http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

"The OTS survey showed that only 53 percent of vehicle drivers knew that lane splitting is legal in California."
    http://www.ots.ca.gov/Media_and_Research/Press_Room/2012/doc/2012_Motorcycle_Survey_and_Safety_Month.pdf

"–7.3 percent of drivers say they’ve tried to prevent a motorcyclist from lane splitting. Of them, 43.6 percent said they did it because lane splitting is unsafe and 23.1 percent said it was because “it is unfair they get ahead of me.”
    –67.2 percent of motorcyclists said a driver has tried to prevent them from lane splitting."
    http://roadwarrior.blogs.pressdemoc...lane-splitting-controversial-and-legal/?tc=ar
  17. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
    Same thing in San Diego on the 8, 5, 805, 15 and 163.
  18. linksIT

linksIT nOObie

Oddometer:
    The worst thing I see is when there are bikes splitting in multiple lanes, like on both sides of a car.

The car hopefully sees one and moves over into the other.

Keep a eye out for this scenario as is can USUALLY be avoided by letting the faster bikes by you.

:1drink
  19. tijuana

tijuana Farkling Around

Oddometer:
    Easy enough, but I beleive in offensive awareness and the biggest threat i have found is a motorcycle splitting a lane and rushing up on me and almost getting t boned by the bike splitting lanes at a hooligans pace. not me... i mean...:evil
  20. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    If you weren't in diapers while I spent decades on those highways both on bikes and in cars then at best you have an opposing opinion to share about the comparison between THEN and NOW.

Let's save the insults for something important.