Kiwi DR650 forum

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by talbertnz, Mar 2, 2008.

1. driftinglobo

driftinglobo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I forgot to ask for future reference is anybody wrecking DRs in NZ?
    Thanks
  2. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    I just wreck KLRs, but lend me your DR and I can give it a go.
  3. bart-nz

bart-nz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think soft luggage if riding difficult terrain. Keep it low and forward. Even a small amount of weight high and way back on the bike can upset the handling. Hard luggage is just another thing to break your bones when the bike lands on you.
  4. dirtbikeslob

dirtbikeslob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey Drift,have you looked at the 8lt fuel bladder,strap it anywhere on your bike and when empty,just roll it up and stash it.
    made out of some tuff curtain sider type material,has eyelets at each corner for easy mounting.
    used one on the cape york couple of years ago.
    i think liquid containment in AU makes them @about $160:thumb
  5. driftinglobo

driftinglobo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

Thank you for the suggestion!
    Are you using these?or just for one trip? How do you find it?
    I have looked them up on the net. They look ok ,but can call me old fashioned but I still not trust these bladder types.They should be ok for road use but probably need a decent support for dirt. therefore defeating the purpose of being store able. hence a 5lt plactic petrol can will do the same job for the cost of $5. ( El Cheapo!!!) Well I m thinking having a petrol can as a semi permanent fixtures to my bike to extend the range until i have $$$$$$$ to fit a larger tank.Most likely it is tiresome mucking about with petrol cans but I just want to get out and ride not to wait until the bike is all set up. so the cost of these would cover about a 1/3 of a 18.5 or 20lt tank.Which I think should be the the long term goal.
    Thanks.
  6. driftinglobo

driftinglobo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Yes for starters differently soft luggage.supported by home made racks. As I m new to dirt I need to experiment to figure out what do I really need and what works for me. And I do not know if I will do enough long rides to justify the investment of hard luggage. But I must say the water and dust proof ness and relative easy access to the luggage is very appealing!
  7. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Your riding desires may evolve over time, too, so don't get too hung up on planning rigidly for the future.
  8. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Did someone mention my name?

:ear
  9. driftinglobo

driftinglobo Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hi There,

I m new to adventure riding,slowly setting my bike up for gravel. I been lurking in here for a while and then I came across this thread.
    Your name came up as the person who knows DR's well.
    I m new ish to forum ing. Is this a good place to ask about the mighty DR or there is a better one? The reason I ask as this thread had no traffic for a bit. Or the DR owners just too busy riding?
    Anyway nice to meet you.
  10. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    This thread is as good a place as any and info won't get as swamped as in the big DR thread.
  11. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Where are you in NZ?
  12. driftinglobo

driftinglobo Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hi

I m in Ch-Ch for two more weeks. Then moving to Dn.
  13. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
  14. driftinglobo

driftinglobo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Thanks, I just bought a bash plate off trade me yesterday. If it does not work out I will look for one of these.They look solid! .
  15. 1Waipukbiker

1Waipukbiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gday mate, just cottoned on to this thread, My Dr came with a B+B bash plate also a B+B carrier on the back which is bloody solid and has many holes and slots already in it. My tank is stock and I was reluctant to spend the big bucks on an aftermarket tank so Ive mounted an Army ammo box on the front of the rear carrier in which the 5ltr fuel container from Mitre 10 is an exact fit. I made up a little bracket which fits under the handle of the fuel container which both holds it in and padlocks to the side of the box. If im not using the fuel container, the standard lid just slides back on and is designed to padlocked on if need be. On the rear of the carrier Ive mounted a smaller Ammo box on its side as a tool box which also can be padlocked shut. I also have a standard Ventura pack frame on the back which had to be lifted slightly so the rear carrier part of it fitted over the tool box. I need to learn how to post pics on here then I could show you what it looks like.
  16. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Click me...................................
    https://www.adventuremoto.com.au/images/dr650bashplateresize.jpg

from these fella's
    https://www.adventuremoto.com.au/index.php?osCsid=4007e76ddb8b1935717796aa958e93f5

........................................................................................................