2013 Vancouver Island Ride

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Fishnbiker, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    Gunnerbuck, I just got off looking at your DSBC photos. We live in a tough neighbourhood don't we? After the ride OurBC & I did in June out to Mahatta River & Gooding Cove, I'm more determined to get the rest of this island. Check out my pix from that ride

https://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/motorcycles/
  2. Cody1771

Cody1771 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i'm in if i'm not working whatever weekend you choose!
  3. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:

Hi Ken, you got some great shots from your Mahatta trip, nice country if you can pick your weather... I spend quite a bit of time down in your neck of the woods, maybe we can get together for a coffee the next time I'm in town...
  4. OurBC

OurBC Live to Travel

Oddometer:
    Good photos of a great ride.
  5. roglsa

roglsa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nice photos fishn I need to get up island more often
  6. yatman

yatman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome-Vancouver Island, British Columbia
    I hope it works out schedule-wise that an Island dual sport ride can fit in for me too.
    My fingers are crossed and shall keep checking this thread for any dates, routes, etc.
    Sounds like a GREAT idea.
    Happy riding

yatman
  7. Tropic-Of-Canada

Tropic-Of-Canada Guru of Shoe Goo

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking a gathering of Islanders for some kind for a north to south by backroads plus fishing would be great fun!:wink:

I've ridden backroads as far north as Cumberland, and am pretty sure from there, you can get as far south as Shawnigan with only touching maybe 20 or 30K of pavement, mostly in Port Alberni.
  8. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    I'm interested too, but need to watch my scheduling, as I already conned my wife out of 2 months to visit China & India in the fall. Extra time off is coming at a huge price right now. How long were you thinking? Day trip? ... 2~3 days ???
  9. Cody1771

Oddometer:
    maybe start thinking about some dates for this?
  10. Tropic-Of-Canada

Oddometer:
    All I know, is I want to ride to the northern tip this year with as little pavement as possible.

I'd be happy to show you guys some south island routes and sights - keep in mind, there are a lot of gates on the south island, we may have to go under one at some point!:deal

What are people doing on May-long?
  11. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would like to do a week of riding on the island in September. I am on a KTM 990 Adv and what I have seen from your collective posts on this and other threads tells me I should probably focus mostly on the Nanaimo and points north part of the island. Any route advice would be appreciated.
    BTW, Fishnbiker, nice photos. It is your and Gunnerbuck's photos that have got me cranked to spend some time in your backyard. You should post a few on the "Favourite Western Canadian Photos" thread to share the wealth.
    Cheers, David
  12. Cody1771

Oddometer:
    2-3 days spending riding the VI part of the TCAT up to Hardy then out to the west coast? that would be EPIC
  13. Tropic-Of-Canada

Oddometer:
    In my experience the south island TCAT is iffy as far as people waving your finger at you or worse.... I had a guy on a horse go all cowboy on me and block my way once, even though I went way wide, and slowed down to 4 kph for him....He was less than polite, though I will say his wife looked rather embarrassed at the whole affair... it wasn't very pleasant for me either! Some people just don't learn share.......

That being said, there are a few areas of the TCAT that I will ride no problem, but as a route, I'm not sure it flys here... I hope it gets better further north! It's beyond me why they did not designate the TCAT as multi-use...
  14. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I think you might be confusing the TCAT {Trans Canada Adventure Trail} with the Trans Canada Trail ... The TCAT was put together for motorized users, it follows industry roads and not horse or walking trails... Here is the route description: http://www.graveltravel.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=83:tcat-the-island&catid=1

Some video from last summers ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPkWGV-Ddk8