Need help with heated grip fuse

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Deepc, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Deepc

Deepc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    05.5 950A. I installed my heated grips to acc2 and they worked for awhile then stopped. I tried plugging them into acc1 and they work great. My phone charges on acc2 just fine. Put a multimeter on both. Acc1 puts out slightly more power than acc2. What at Im I missing here. All fuses look good. Where is this 5 amp fuse? Is there a hidden switch? Good t the bike ripped apart and I'm leaving on a 1600 mile ride tomorrow. I know I could just leave it on acc1 but that would almost guarentee a dead battery
  2. Deepc

Deepc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are the kimpex grip set draws 2 amp on low, 3 on high. Awesome option, if i could just get them to work on acc2. I also have a brand new shorai that works awesome, so its not battery related acc1 puts out 13v and accs puts out 12.5v on the multimeter
  3. Frog uk

Frog uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Acc2 fuse in the fuse box in the glove compartment.

On my 950 the carb heaters are in the Acc2 circuit as well, grips work fine unless the temperature drops enough for the carb heaters come on, and the fuse blows.

Changed fuse to a 7.5 amp, no problems for 2 years now.
  4. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Acc 1 and 2 fuses are both 10 amp stock.. 06 950 Adventure.

Hard to say if it is ok to put a 10 amp fuse in without knowing the wire gauge used in your harness.
  5. Deepc

Deepc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. Ripped everything apart, cleaned, and made sure it went back together correctly. Now it works on acc2 but we'll see for how long.
  6. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Put a relay under the headlight mask that is connected straight to the battery.

Connect your grips to that, have the relay trigger by acc2 ( that is the switched one IIRC, only powered when the bike is running).

This will eliminate the load from the stock harness, your grips will perform better since they will draw straight from the batt. I used a 12ga wire for the relay so there is as little resistance as possible. I also power my LED driving lights off the same circuit.

You can see it on the left side in the picture with the blue wires. The bundle is bulky due to the connectors for the LED's

[​IMG]