Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i needed higher but mostly forward but it would have required lengthened lines for the higher and forward there was fairing contact. The sweep of the bars is too much for standing but using straighter bend just bashes the screen
  2. Dudley

Dudley Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who was riding the tasty 1989 Transalp in St. Paul this afternoon? On Plato Blvd just South of Wabasha. I was teaching a MSF beginners class. Stop in and say hello.
    Dudley
  3. radguzzi

radguzzi The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer:
  4. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Probably not relevant to all applications because I'm only 6 ft tall. I used 2" Rox risers. They make several sizes and types. Fore and aft adjustment is a +. I also reshaped (bent) the stock bars to take out the end drop and level out the end of the bars. Standing is much better now. :D

[​IMG]
  5. AppFan

AppFan Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the wife and kids out of town I finally got motivated enough to install the Intiminators. Plus a local shop quoted 4.5 hours to put them in and I really didn't want to pay that much. It took me about half that much time while watching football in the garage. Can't wait to see how these feel combined with my Ohlins rear. Hopefully I'm done with suspension stuff now.
    Now I just need to quit reading this thread and getting ideas for other stuff to add....
  6. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    3m dual locks

[​IMG]

3m dual locks covered with 3m carbon film
    [​IMG]
  7. TransAfrika

TransAfrika Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice looking risers, i use one from SW-Motech, and the Handlebar from the AT, here in Germany you can get a handlebar from Louis manufactor is a company called Fehling. It is a bit higher and thing of 8cm longer than the AT one. For me thats to much , i dont want to longer the cabels and brakelines.
    Next optimizationis the foot pegs from SW-Motech, they are adjustable in highs, I see them on a 96 TA from a friend and the look nice.
  8. ravelv

ravelv from Baltic side of river

Oddometer:
    Would be very interesting to see light beam patterns on road for this headlight and stock side by side.

still, if no E markings on these, we here in europe, cannot use this one legally. :cry

9. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'll be curious to hear how well they work for you - please keep us (me) updated! :evil
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    For higher bars look at ATV models to get the correct sweep so it doesn't hit your cowl on full lock. If you have Bark Busters fitted there is even less room on lock to lock to play with, makes it pretty difficult.

Will be interesting to see how the led headlight works for spread and vision and if you get flashed by oncoming vehicles, especially on low beam. :ear
  11. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:
    I ordered some ATV high bends and bark busters. See how it works next week.

I'm taking my fairings off so that won't be an issue.
  12. AppFan

AppFan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried out the SW-Motech Kobra hand guards yet? Thinking about picking up a set but not if it means cutting off the tips of my levers.
  13. Belgian Waffles

Belgian Waffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put on some simple 2" risers and it made quite a difference already. It's not perfect yet so I'm still planning on lowering the pegs by and inch or two. At first I wasn't sure if this was a good idea as I already scraped some metal in turns, so lowering would only decrease my lean angle. Then I installed the ricors up front and put some spaces on both front and rear suspension. With the increased (back to normal) height, I feel comfortable lowering the pegs a bit without compromising my leans.

Nice lights :evil I put mine here

[​IMG]

Perfect fit. Replaced the signals with some LED flush mounts in the fairing until I realized those were crap and put some ugly incandescents back on.
  14. Motology

Motology Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all, I'm planning on semi-revitalizing my 89' Alp over the winter. Right now the bike burns oil at or above 4,500 to 5,000 RPM. I'm planning on re-ringing it, replacing the valve seals, and the piston pins. My Alp has 73,118 mi on it and runs like a top, always properly maintained. Is there anything else I should do motor wise?

15. TransAfrika

TransAfrika Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi, today i try to close that free space :
    [​IMG]

I make a little fairing for that out of GFK:
    [​IMG]

tomorrow I think it is ready .... i keep you infomed

If somebody needs i have that to sell :

[​IMG]

it is from a AT RD04, i have a compl. rear brake system and wheel ( needs a new rim) from that bike too
  16. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:
  17. ON8JU

ON8JU Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guy's, I need some of your wrenching advice for my XL700V.
    Today I removed the rear shock to check for wear and put some grease in the bearings. While the shock was out I was checking it for possibility’s to lift the rear end to improve ground clearance.

I noticed that the cushion arm is bent down from the pivoting point to the blot holding the shock. If it would be turned over, I guess it would lift the rear a lot.
    Possibly so much that the centerstand could not reach the ground anymore

Anyone tried it? advice welcome!

[​IMG]
  18. Belgian Waffles

Belgian Waffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested to hear the replies about this one... Ray?

If it doesn't work, I did the $5 rear shock spacer mod. Any ~10mm long piece of metal pipe and use it to compress and preload your rear spring, thus increasing ride height. I got a good few inches out of that.

And let's be honest... It was Ray's tip to me in the first place :deal
  19. jgas

jgas Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer:
    I have never seen one of these for sale in the US for a reasonable price. I know they are great bikes, and I think it would be perfect for my use, but I keep seeing 89 or so models advertised for 5 grand. They probably didn't cost much more than that new! I understand they have kind of a cult following which raises values. Most are well maintained by knowledgeable owners, but come on! These old bikes should be selling for 2000-2500 in pretty good condition, shouldn't they? An 89 or 90 model? Any bike over 20 years old? What am I missing? Are they really THAT good?
  20. thepoddo

thepoddo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    did this on my 650, same kind of link.
    reversing it raise the rear by 40mm, perfect if you plan on mounting africa twin forks
    can't tell you about the center sand since I never had one, still it shouldn't be a problem