Spanking the Cow- The continuing saga of an R100GSPD at the Races

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Stagehand, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    that looks pretty cool. For a minute I thought it was a MIchigan thing :D
  2. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    ooops forgot to mention it was in Kentucky.
  3. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, one more thing:

I'm on the hunt for another red Rallye2 jacket. I'm between a size 40-44 US.

If anybody happens to come across one, I need a good jacket for Australia!

Would consider a different jacket, and technically I do have a one or two serviceable suits... but I'd love the iconic nature of the red one :D... and its got to look cool, of course. Slave to fashion and all. I tried my source at MAx's... apparently they scrap whatever they dont sell :( I have a WTB ad in the flea market, and have been perusing the Ebay, Ibmwr areas.

Just thought I'd put the bug in your ears .

4. Gone-Native

Gone-Native XPLORER

Oddometer:
    Uh, Oh..... just checked my final drive play..... not looking good :cry I'm hoping to change out the bearing before june.....
  5. knary

knary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you care if it's in good shape or not? :lol3
  6. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Why do you laugh? Lol!

I dont mind if its faded, i mostly want the zippers to work and to fit a pressure suit underneath it. And of course i'd like it to look cool as hell :)

Im standing at the gate in Newark airport boarding a flight to vegas, and then pahrump to go to rally roadbook school with Jimmy Lewis :)
  7. knary

knary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because I'm an idiot, remind me why you want one of these things. :D

I've got a well used US 42. I currently use it... on those rare days that I ride (one bike in garage and it's in pieces as you know). One BMW shoulder patch has been replaced with a husqvarna chain saw patch. The jacket could use new velcro and a new zipper pull, but otherwise it's in solid condition.

At a press launch four or five years ago, all the press folk were in their shiny new gear. "Did you get that thing out of a museum! Holy crap!" :lol3

thinking out loud mostly. I have no idea what these things are worth. :dunno

[​IMG]
  8. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Look how handsome! :rofl

I want one because I'm horribly vain and a slave to fashion, and I cant find another jacket I'd rather wear in a race like the Safari. You talk about branding- I wear anything else and I'm unrecognizable. :D And also psychologically, I will ride better if I feel like I've got the gear I want.

I'm wanting to wear a pressure suit for protection, and a shell on top that I can take the sleeves of if it gets too hot. Doesnt need to be waterproof, or even water resistant, and has some pockets. Fits the bill perfectly. Looks the business.

I tell you what? Maybe we can work out a temporary trade. I was thinking on the ride out here: maybe I could Borrow your jacket, and fix the zipper you mentioned. I would even loan you my size 54 black Rallye2 as collateral, in case you went for a ride, lol.

I had a larger plastic main front zipper put in by the local dry cleaning guy, on my red one. Good job, and its bombproof, now. He had to take out the buttons, because they didnt fit under the new zipper, but the velcro is still there, and I didnt mind losing the snap buttons.
    I could do the same for yours, if you wish... or indeed just figure out a new zipper pull...

Figure maybe from beginning of August till I get back? 2 months?

Worth wise- I was seeing prices of $5-600 for unfaded suits.

HAs possiblities? :ear
  9. sdpc2

sdpc2 Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer:
    It needs a zipper pull and you replace the zipper??? I use a paper clip or 2 or 3!! Works fine.
  10. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Jason....sorry that I missed it. But what happened to your red rallye jacket??? Hows the training for Safari going??
  11. knary

knary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see a simple loan of a jacket in the near future. :D
    Either that or a straight sale at a nice reasonable price.
  12. Gone-Native

Gone-Native XPLORER

Oddometer:
    I may be selling some woodworking equip. to my boss.....:evil

yes, this means a nice down on the said white and purple PD:freaky
  13. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Oooooooo! We are going to Kill it! And then, we are going to make it cOme alive again!
  14. Gone-Native

Gone-Native XPLORER

Oddometer:
    :pot:pope:dllama
  15. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Hope the preparations are going well!!!

You will have a blast on Pauls bike, I know I did :evil

However, I ran out of talent in 2nd gear!!! :lol3

Its a great bike, built by a great Bloke :deal

Sure is a tall bike

[​IMG]
  16. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    You`re in company of two icons there, Perry, the venerable airhead BMW and Australias` own Hills Hoist clothes line. :rofl
  17. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Well done! Man that is just great looking.

I spent the last three days in Pahrump Nevada doing a rallye navigation training course. Here is a short teaser:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SMtOJzjm5Jg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Having spent three days with Jimmy Lewis watching my nav and riding skills, I asked what I needed to do to make sure I had a successful finish and didnt get creamed in Australia, and he said "treat it like a trail ride." Basically, I paid for the whole thing, not a half rallye, and you dont expect an overall, so just relax and concentrate on doing everything else except riding fast. You've got the riding and nav skills to finish, so just chill out, basically. If you finish this one, your chances of doing another one are better. The inverse is also true."

That was the gist of what I got out of it...

The whole Roadbook Navigation thing is hugely fun :deal

:lol3
  18. Tanami

Tanami Under The Weather

Oddometer:
    that is gold, right there.
  19. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Bright and shiney is OK, but you can`t beat the look of a purposeful machine with a bit of bark off it.
  20. Stagehand

Oddometer:

Agreed. I've had one or two conversations with Jimmy and so far its been totally invaluable. I am also trying to pick his brain regarding the best combo of gear to wear to battle... Klim Dakar pants, Red Rallye2 shell, *armor, *helmet, *knee brace socks?, *padded shorts? what the hell else- I need to bring practically two of all the important stuff..

Couple of updates.

Reached an agreement with an inmate for a Red Jacket :D It should be just right to fit some armor underneath, and is still red, so I can fade it properly. Thanks SO MCU Knary for the offer, I just thought it would be best for me to attempt to destroy my own :D I really appreciate it, though. :bow

I told a (hopefully) good story to Kriega backpacks and might have them on my side, too :freaky Should know more today. It does not hurt to ask, I'll tell you that. If it comes together I'll post the story that worked :1drink

PD still waiting on getting the tranny back together and into my hot little hands. (where is the pleasepleasegodplease emoticon?)

I'm terrified of getting the parts back and being in a giant rush to get out the door to Canada, on the Ontario Roaming Rally, June 6-10. Oy.