Best bike shop around NOVA?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by scorch, Jan 6, 2005.

1. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    What do you guys say is the best bike shop around this area? That carry a good selection of motorcycles, good prices, good service?
  2. GS Spirit

GS Spirit Downsizing

Oddometer:

Be a little more specific HD, KTM, MV Agusta, BMW, what are you looking for?
  3. Omi

Omi ssion

Oddometer:
    MFI in Woodbridge. They are good people and have a good dirt selection. If your buying a bike, new or used, go see Woody. He can find you almost anything at a very good price. Some people have bad things to say about Bob's BMW, but they have alwase treated me very well.
  4. Omi

Omi ssion

Oddometer:
    Did I mention that I don't like Colman's? Their customer service sucks. It has for years.
  5. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Coleman's could not suck any more, unless they lit customers on fire as they entered the freakin' store. Period.

As for MFI, yup - good folks. See Butch in parts. He routinely beats prices I can find on the internet. Good folks.

Barry

ps - Coleman's SUCKS... FYI.
  6. 2ndSPACE

2ndSPACE Long timer

Oddometer:
    MFI [​IMG]
  7. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never have reason to be down that way so I've never been in there. I'll keep 'em in mind.

I wish I could I recommend a place. Of all of the dealers I've had business with, most were merely adequate, and one or two (Coleman and Battley's, expecially the latter) were awful.
  8. 2ndSPACE

2ndSPACE Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Honda dealer on 7 in Winchester is very good as well.
  9. Smithy

Smithy Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer:
    One more vote for MFI. :deal
  10. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ducati/Hon/Suz/Kaw purchase - Nault's in Manchester NH (but you gotta see Jayroot)
    Ducati performance services - BCM in Laconia NH (but Naults has a top tuner too)
    Honda only - Concord Motorcycle Shop, NH (remember Bruce Transportation AMA Team? This is them. See Jason Hillsgrove)
    Aprilia/Guzzi - Seacoast Sportcycle (top Apr performance builder in USA; see Aaron Clark)
    Aprilia/Husky - New England Motorsports, Webster, MA (See Mark Reynolds)
    BMW - Dunbar Eurosports, Brockton, MA (but ya gotta' deal with Kathy C). Prolly the best BMW tuner in Northeast is owner, Tom Fournier.
    KTM - Cliff's in Norfolk, MA is widely considered the best KTM shop. All they carry and their customer base is mostly off-road racing crowd. See Frank
    Supersingles - Bikeworx, Maynard MA (prolly the best big bore thumper motorbuilder in US. Does Raptors too).
    Suspension/Chassis - GMD Computrack Boston and NY. See Peter Kates in MA or Mike Martire in NY (endo your bike? Don't write it off. Take it to GMD. They got the jigs and equipment to make like new. Good prices on Penske and Ohlins too. They even give tuner classes!).
    Japanese brand motorbuilder - Pat Doyle @ New England Performance, Danville, NH. (specializes in multi's and twins)
    Sportbike race conversion parts - Woodcraft, Mansfield MA (call Eric Wood)
    Roadracing instruction - Penguin School (Loudon). See Jeff Wood.

Common thread to all these businesses is they are deeply involved in racing motorcycles at the highest levels in the Northeast with many championships among each of them. That translates into a passion for motorcycles and making them perform for the task at hand. Most are small, but laden with talent, experience and access to the latest advancements. Pricing is fair, and problem solving is amazing. Sort of like you'd find at your local 'Pro-Shop'. These are people to talk things over with before opening your checkbook.

Most of the motorcycle shops I've known in recent years simply roll iron and have no clue about their products or the needs of enthusiasts like those on this list. I have found these businesses to be the best in New England when you need the best to make it happen for you (whatever that might be).

-pantah
  11. Caffeind

Caffeind Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer:
    I'm interested if you have specific examples of poor service or policy to support these opinions? :ear
  12. Omi

Omi ssion

Oddometer:
    Too many to list. I have been going to both locations for years, and have had a good experience only 2 or 3 times. That just doesen't cut it when I can get friendly service every time at MFI or Bob's. Sorry to bash your store if you work there.
  13. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    For my experience with Battley Cycles you can read this. I hope you have some spare time. :D As for Coleman's, there's been a number of mostly minor instances, combined with the experiences of others I know and trust, that keep me from ever going back.
  14. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Sure...

Many accounts of Service done wrong, or poorly.

Many accounts of people with money in their pockets wanting to buy bikes, and being ignored. They left, went someplace else, and got the bike that day, or closed the deal that day.

I've grown up in this area, and Coleman's rep has been in the toilet for ever. That rep didn't make itself, it had help.

Barry

ps - I used to work for Coleman's many moons ago... it sucked then too.
  15. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    :nod

I'm one - was deeply in love with a Honda PC for spacewife - I walked out the door. Many stories ranging from stuff stolen while waiting for repair, poor service, screwed up sales dept yada yada. It even took them 6 months to get me a title for a trailer I bought from them that had the tires inflated to 45lbs :bluduh
  16. Caffeind

Oddometer:
    Don't work there as of August. I was in sales there for 6 months. Sold at least one guy on this board a bike (and probably referred him here during the sale), but I don't think he knows who I am. Hiya, Steve. :wave

I'm always curious what makes a bad experience at a dealership. Didn't have the accessory you were looking for? Service dept left your oil drain plug out? Charged a restocking fee for a special-order item? I went in to Coleman's for years and they never seemed to have quite the accessory (usually clothing) I had in mind. Frustrating. Never had a bad experience there as a customer. There was the one time in FC that the young service writer had to check and see if they could do a safety inspection on my Kawasaki (seemed a bit confused, since they no longer sold them). :lol3 I'm chalking that one up in the funny category, not the bad category.

Wasn't a bad place to work, either. Everybody there is an enthusiast. (believe me - you don't work there for the money!) Most race. Street, dirt, ATV. Even a couple of watercraft racers. One guy rides a standup w/c in Pohick Bay year 'round. :loco But I'll tell you this, I wouldn't let anyone but him work on a watercraft I owned.

I can see how some people might be put off that they don't automatically discount bikes the way some dealerships (read: MFI) do, but not every auto dealership follows the Fitzgerald Auto Mall business model, either.
  17. SkylineKeith

SkylineKeith Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer:
    at the entrance to Skyline Dr in Front Royal VA
    I have many horror stories about Colemans. I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. Several of my friends have had numberous problems with the scumbags at colemans also.
  18. Caffeind

Oddometer:
    Ah, the oil leak thread. How did that turn out, anyway. :hide The thread just kind of dropped off with no updates, which makes sense considering....

Congrats on the lunker. Just about my youngest's first birthday! :freaky (missed by a couple of weeks.
  19. Caffeind

Oddometer:
    I seem to recall you mentioning before that you once worked at Coleman. Sounds like your experience wasn't so great. From my recent experience, it seems things may have changed.

I find it hard to believe that people were really ignored there. Selling bikes there was about putting food on the table for my family first, and getting people on bikes a close second. I couldn't have afforded to let a deal waiting to happen walk out the door. Seems like there may be more to the story. :ear I've always had to turn away help when I was there looking at bikes. :dunno

I realize I'm jousting at windmills here, and I'm not likely to change anybody's mind. I just hate to see good people's names and livelihoods put through the wringer without someone standing up for them.
  20. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    The bike's not leaking oil now (for now . . . ) but I'm still leaning on BMW over some final issues. I'll update the thread soon, when everything seems to be resolved.