New Africa Twin 2014

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by zippy700, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MBM

MBM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Much?! We don't know anything about it! I remember, that is just a prototype that micht just not be, al all, what we might see in the future.
  2. akalogan

akalogan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They let slip a few little bits, 1000cc, dct (maybe), I think that Honda is using a bait and switch approach with their information. They want us to get all fired up and crazy, until we are all in a frenzy. So that when it does finally come out we won't look for flaws, because we are too busy humping the tail pipe. Thankfully I can't replace my current bike for several months. Maybe this, that or the other will be out by then.
  3. Starchamp

Starchamp Rebel Scum

Oddometer:
    And I think the reasoning (beyond safety) for limiting it to 450ccs, is that it was supposed to give more privateers a chance to participate and actually be competitive without having to have the vast resources of the factory-backed teams running highly specialized bikes with ever-increasing ccs. But I don't recall where I heard that.
  4. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    They probably thought it would give the Japanese a chance again too, but.......oops?

They ought to just rename it The KTM and be done with it.
    larryboy likes this.
  5. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Jenny would know better than I, but the move to 450 seems to have done just the opposite. I think that was part of the reason behind the LC450 project, a more robust motor to give the privateers a better shot of finishing.
  6. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I'll say it again, for all the good it will do...

The bike at Ecima was not a prototype, it was a pre production test mule - with the vast majority of production mouldings etc already in place...

I have it on good authority that the only reason it is not a 2015 model is because Honda were not satisfied with the performance of the engine - primarily the fuel consumption - and that they want to continue refining the fuelling element of the bike so that it offers both good power and good economy (some might say that's the holy grail of course).

The production specification machine is due in European showrooms towards the end of this year - as a 2016 model year model.

There is no confirmation that it will or will not be imported to the USA, but personally I'd say there is every chance - as long as you guys stop whining about the potential price of the thing ;o)

Jx
  7. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    I thought the move to 450 was simply to reduce the top/overall speed of the bikes and riders.

It may have worked just the opposite for the privateers, as the factories have almost unlimited resources and manpower for engine maintenance every night.

The factories are also able to develop horse power from the small engines which also separates them from the privateers. Whereas the previous 660/690 era, hp was available in copious amounts.

To repeat in this thread, Coma, Marc Coma, won the event on his original engine.:evil
  8. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    While eating a soup de grimace :lol3
  9. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    The 450cc rule was not so much to give the privateers a chance, rather (as Bounder already alluded to above) in an effort to encourage more manufacturers to produce competitive rally machines - as almost all of them had a current 450cc MX/Enduro machine or at least engine, that they could base a rally bike on.

ASO realised that for the Dakar to grown in any meaningful way, they needed to get more sponsor money in, and appeal to a larger audience - that in return would allow them to charge more for TV rights etc. They don't care if KTM continue to win or not, just as long as there are other manufacturers bringing more money and more supporters to the race, and in turn foster a public perception that at least someone else might end up on the top step of the podium one day...

Of course KTM were always going to continue to dominate - not only is their bike very fast (the current 450 RFR makes in excess of 60hp!), but they have consistently had the best riders and the best team management/structure behind them for the past dozen years or more...

As HRC have realised over the past three years, having the fastest bike or indeed the fastest riders, doesn't win you a Dakar...

Unlike circuit racing or short course off-road racing, the fastest bike (or rider) isn't necessarily going to win you anything other than a stage perhaps - cross-country rallying is a long game - and the Dakar is the longest of all of course.

KTM have thrown everything at Dakar, and they continue to win as perhaps rightly they should with such an investment in both machinery and people.

Jx
  10. akalogan

akalogan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You really are a Jedi Master! I guess I will have to try that Patience thingie... Dog gone it has been like 2 seconds were is the info?
  11. MaNDan

MaNDan 'Old Japanese cycles & '26Chevy truck

Oddometer:
    Good report from you Jen, but we all seem to be waiting on real info from Honda, regarding: availability/weight/HP&torque/options/price/ etc. etc. All these variables are very important as to whether rider X, y or z wants it and then, can he/she afford it.

Guess we should just sit back for awhile, relax and keep reading these crazy fictional posts and threads.

:1drink
  12. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the top end model, they are working on something in between for the more technical stuff..

[​IMG]
  13. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    So? Honda-engined bikes finshed the 2015 Dakar with their original engines at a higher rate than did KTM-engined bikes. Honda also had the highest percentage of bikes that started the race finish the race of any manufacturer. Barely half of the KTMs finshed the race. 2/3rds of the Hondas did.

None of which has ANYTHING to do with the bikes we mere mortals can buy at the dealer. All the factory sponsored Dakar bikes get major engine work after each and every stage, including the marathon stages. It is highly doubtful there is a large market for adventure bikes that need a top end rebuild after every ten or so hours of use.
  14. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You forgot when the thumpers came back :deal :

1999 - Richard Sainct - BMW F650RR
    2000 - Richard Sainct - BMW F650RR
    2001 - Fabrizio Meoni - KTM LC4 660R

Then Meoni came back and won on a 950 in 2002, but I doubt that would happen on the current course, even if displacement were open?

15. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, whining stopped, please bring it here! :clap
  17. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:

Make the waiting game a positive thing. Start saving now, and every month of delay will make this bike more affordable to you when it is out. And with the technology it packs, I would expect it to be priced somewhere around the Tiger XCx and an upper bound at the BMW F800GSA price. Of course, the DCT model should be more expensive. I'm so glad that's not the one I will buy... :D
  18. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    There is no confirmation that it will or will not be imported to the USA, but personally I'd say there is every chance - as long as you guys stop whining about the potential price of the thing ;o)

Jx[/QUOTE]

As if Honda uses this thread to decide on whether or not it should come to the USA. One would think that decision has already been made.
  19. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    And the money you save towards alcohol and or drugs when you discover it is not coming to the US:rofl
  20. Starchamp

Starchamp Rebel Scum

Oddometer:
    Agreed, and the no show at IMS events is telling.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.