1. BushwickKLR

BushwickKLR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well guys, I guess it was just my turn. I slipped up this morning. We were headed to Bear Mountain and I went early and picked up my bike from the garage. Decided to go home, get some things and wait for my crew to show up. 5 minutes later (you heard right 5 minutes later) I looked out the window and my beloved KLR was GONE! I called the cops and believe it or not they showed up not two minutes later. They took the report and they told me that everything was done as far as the report is concerned and that more than likely the bike was gone forever. I didn't take that too easy. So I did what most in my position would do and I contacted people in my circle. Most you would consider squids, hoodlums or just the wrong company. To me, they are the guys that got me into the lifestyle. I got a call back within 5 minutes saying we know where It is, meet us at such and such. Long story short... I got my bike back 3 hours after it was stolen. I get to the precinct and the cops are pissed that I didn't call them and drove the bike to the precinct to get the alarm removed.

Assholes are waiting for us to sleep, even for just 5 minutes so that they catch you slipping. Lock em up no matter what. Lesson learned for me.
  2. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Nice ending to the story! When I first saw the headline I figured you were screwed.

Which bike was taken?
  3. 13

13 __________ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you got it back!
  4. BrooklynOffRoader

BrooklynOffRoader Slab or the Dirt.

Oddometer:
    Leaving a Dual sport unattended in BKLYN is like leaving Salmon dipped in honey around Grizzly Bears!
    Glad you got it back!:clap
  5. BushwickKLR

BushwickKLR Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was my KLR.
  6. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    hope the thieves got what they had coming :evil
  7. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn! Doesn't normally turn out that way.
  8. markcap

markcap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate crooks on all fronts and every level. Just hate it. We all have enough to worry about, like just making it.
    Happy for you dude!
  9. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, someone in your circle knew where it was? I assume your connected and someone in the ranks had a rat who knew where it was. I guess you got it back on a promise not to retaliate or get the 5.0 involved. I'm happy for you in this rare incident. But it's gonna be tough knowing that you or someone you know knows who did it!
  10. PullingG's

PullingG's What?

Oddometer:
    Glad you got it back and important lesson for all of us.

I had a similar incident many years ago. My DT400 was stolen off the back porch from my work. Filed a police report but I knew quite a few folks around town from work. A coworker's son spotted some kids riding it along the tracks near their house. He went after them and I got the bike back later that day..no questions asked. Just a ripped out ignition and a few scratches...but was glad to have it back.
  11. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    A guy in my building was telling me a story of a "dirtbike" he bought years ago... he hadn't made the full payment on the bike (paid like half), and it got stolen. He called some buddies (he's a nice guy, but grew up here, and can be a thug when he wants). So, they know who took it... the guy who SOLD IT TO HIM! Yeah, he sold the bike, then came back later and stole it, and it wasn't even fully paid for yet.
    My neighbor and a friend apparently found the guy in the neighborhood, and when he stopped at a redlight, they somehow dragged him out of his car and beat the piss out of him. He's got a way of embellishing, but I imagine the gist is true.
    Brooklyn sucks for bikes and crime.

Glad you got yours back.
  12. thomas.tc.young

thomas.tc.young Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    remind me to go to you when i get my bike stolen.

happy ending for all though :clap
  13. BERZERKOWITZ

BERZERKOWITZ .

Oddometer:
    I lock and cover my shit every place I go. I'm glad you got it back.
  14. thomas.tc.young

Oddometer:
    and who the heck steals klr's? i've seen tons of other bikes that would be cooler to steal.
  15. BushwickKLR

BushwickKLR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you serious? KLRs or Dual Sports in general are up there on the list of stolen bikes.
  16. thomas.tc.young

Oddometer:
    i always figured sports bikes were the best thing to steal. well that's what i would take but that's because i want to get a track/stunt bike.

i think i keep my xr ratty enough that potential thieves think taking it isn't worth their time :D
  17. Looksgoodinblack

Looksgoodinblack Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you have it back...

Tough place you have live at:huh
  18. hitmanlol

hitmanlol Cotor Myclist

Oddometer:
    haha. good deal. I hope there wasn't much damage. I had the same thing happen once when my car was stolen (back when I had a car).
  19. urbanmotorbiker

urbanmotorbiker uh

Oddometer:
    Good for you, bro! I'm in Brooklyn too and I just bought my second KLR, a '99. My first (a '98) was taken after I left her on the street overnight in April, which was STUPID. I paid the price.

If it isn't under armed guard, it's taking a chance -- especially in Bushwick. Glad you got her back. All that great Brooklyn cold weather riding ahead. Besides, the bad guys are usually to weak and fragile to steal bikes when it's 20 degrees out. Can't wait - a KLR in the cold nasty is the best! :freaky
  20. _SMF_

_SMF_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My friend just had his xr650l stolen from Manhaten ave. in Greenpoint I think it is. I think it was a 1999 or 2000 model. Had it chained up to telephone pole with big chain and lock, gone. So I guess ds bikes are attractive to thieves.