Amendment 64

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Mike D, Oct 26, 2012.

?

Amendment 64: The Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act of 2012

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mike D

Mike D Corporate Cog

Oddometer:
    I'll completely understand if the mods want to remove this. Political, not motorcycle related, etc... My apologies if inappropriate.

I've posted a poll on a couple of different local interwebz boards, and am really surprised at the results.
  2. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    Reminds me - I need to sit down and read the details on this tonight. Can't make a decision until I have the facts. And this is about doobies, not politicians, so I think it's OK :clap
  3. ColoradoBigfoot

ColoradoBigfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this type of legislation will not pass until the alcholoic generations of the 40's, 50's, and 60's complete their life cycle.
    Differnent generations, different dependancy. I guestimate around 2025 the HR puffin-stuff revolution will materialize :1drink.
  4. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer:
    What's the point of making something "legal" in Colorado that is still illegal under frederal jurisdiction?

The FDA still says marijuana is a Schedule I drug. Until that changes, nothing really changes.
  5. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:
    It forces the issue. States will have to legalize first, then the Fed will follow suit. Or, so I believe.
  6. Fifinella

Fifinella Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was ambivalent until I saw a high school kid smoking at a stoplight on his way to school two days ago. Seriously? WTF are you numbing yourself from at 16?
  7. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    High school sucks for a lot of kids. I can understand it.
  8. Narsisco Lopez

Oddometer:
    Kids have been doing that since I was in high school... hell, since my dad was in high school. Legalization means regulation and taxation... and will fund education. Keeping it illegal just keeps those illicit dollars going to drug dealers and border wars.
  9. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea, still user's choice. Just like smoking, alcohol, riding motorcycles, etc.
  10. Wired

Wired Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm for legalizing marijuana, but after reading the blue book, it just seems like the proponents of this scraped something together to get it on the ballot.

It seems like there's still a bit of work to be done and issues that need to be resolved before it's legalized. I'm voting NO this election for it, not because I don't want it legalized, but it just seems like it will be legalized on a whim this year. Besides, it's still illegal federally.
  11. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    After some of the recent things done by youngsters in CO (columbine, baily, westminster etc), I think more of them need to smoke some weed before school.
  12. TheDudeAbides

Oddometer:
    I'm not following you. Smoking, booze and motorcycles aren't illegal at the federal level. Marijuana is.
    It's a Schedule I controlled substance like heroin and worse than morphine which is sched II
  13. Narsisco Lopez

Oddometer:
    Let's all go discuss it over a few beers and shots, then smoke a few cigarettes in the parking lot before riding our motorcycles home, over the speed limit, without our helmets on. :lol3
  14. ironbrewer

ironbrewer Hopefully Riding

Oddometer:
    Was in Colorado now in The Northwet, Washington
    I realize that that is the current law, but do you really agree that pot is worse than morphine. Some laws are just stupid. Alcohol is way worse for you.
  15. TheDudeAbides

Oddometer:
    No I don't think that pot is worse than morphine. At least in terms of risk of abuse and overdose risk. Pot is worse than morphine (or any opiate) as an analgesic (pain killer). Pot is worse than alcohol in terms of driving impairment (according to one study by the University of Iowa anyway).

Personally I don't care. People can smoke what they want for all I care.
    My only point is that if you legalize it on the state level, you're still in violation of federal law. And federal law trumps state law. I'm not saying I agree with that, just saying that's the way it is.

A few years back, some states still had a drinking age of 18 when the federal law said it had to be 21. States that held out and refused to make it 21 saw their highway funds get cut.

The other thing I don't like about Amendment 64 is that they've tied marijuana tax revenue to school funding.

Worst
    Idea
    Ever.
  16. Narsisco Lopez

Oddometer:
    And floating bonds is?
  17. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    States ended prohibition before the feds did. It forced the issue. We are a group of states not a single state.
  18. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    You want it legalized, think it will be but don't like the wording? Everything has to start somewhere.
  19. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    Yes, Big Pharma is quite peaved a weed growing out of the ground will undercut them after years of producing highly addictive and relatively ineffective pain pills when measured against the side effects. So...the government declared it a schedule 1.
  20. TheDudeAbides

Oddometer:
    Tying school funding into the taxes of marijuana sales is saying "Hey in order to build better and better schools we need more and more people to smoke weed. And if 5 years from now our state goes on a health kick and a bunch of people suddenly stop smoking weed then our schools will suddenly be under funded".
    That's where they lost me. I'd vote for 64 if it wasn't for that. I don't like tying school ( or Heath care) funding into any vice. It sends a very contradictory message.

And what's wrong with government bonds?