Winter Project - 1998 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure to ADV/SM

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by hondahawkrider, Sep 30, 2007.

1. hondahawkrider

hondahawkrider DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer:
    I just bought it from a a friend of a friend - he and I have been on a motorcycle listserv for years - and is a friend to my friends... He is the original owner - it's got less than 6k miles and runs strong - the major detractor is that it spent all of it's life outside so comsmetically - it's rough.... Which for my purposes is great because to suit my needs I was going to mod it -rhino liner the plastic parts, SM wheels -etc, and well the price was right....

The funny thing is that it's supposedly 1 of 50-60 low pipe KTM EGS-E Adventures ever brought into the US... I was going to bend em up ala a dakar style - but we shall se.. Anyone know how many EGS-E low pipe models were brought in to the US

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks like my SXC dirt wheels will fit - so hopefully I can use the orignal hubs and lace to em to some wider rims.... The 1st step will be to clean up the rusty bits and to scrub the tank - and see bout painting the faded body parts (I am thinking - rhino liner :eek1 )

Here goes nothing..
  2. JAFO

JAFO displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer:
    I believe Durabak has a smooth liner material that is a close match for Katoom Orange....
  3. hondahawkrider

Oddometer:
    Started work on the bike - pulled the bags
    [​IMG]
    and here is the dash with rusty mirror (only one)
    [​IMG]
    As MD requires two mirrors - I checked my part bin and I had tons of hand guard bolts and a pair of faux carbon fiber hand guards and DRz400sm/Vstrom mirrors - all of which are now on the bike
    [​IMG]

I will probably pull the bars in the future to clean it up more - but the 1st step is get it inspected and on the road.... So I can ride it to the deal/friends places to get some misc work done
  4. hondahawkrider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  5. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Dual low pipes, that looks pretty trick. I was thinking of getting some kind of low pipe with a skidplate on it for a 98 SC620 I had. The stock pipe runs right next to the radiator,the carbuerator, the air box,and around the shock heating all these parts quite a bit. I ended up wrapping the pipe which was the cheap thing to do.
  6. hondahawkrider

Oddometer:
    There are some closeup pics at http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/hondahawkrider/KTM%20Project/

The plan now is as follows

The 1st thing to do is to get the surface rust off the frame and make some improvments. Rad fan switch is missing - it stopped working and the PO wired out a switch that isn't mounted anywhere so I am going to mount it on the dash, as well as a choke. The bike has a FCR carb on it, but it's an older one with no choke (If its really cold - you pop the seat and cover the up the intake and it will start - but it's a pain). I want to see about popping the cover and running a choke cable up to the dash like the fan switch. I should be able to use a older car cable and put a knob on the dash - won't be OEM, but will work...

The plastic is off to be painted too, it will be a rattlecan paint job (I priced out a professional job and it's WAYY too much $$ for my cheap ass). It's gonna be my offroad bike - so Krylon Fusion will be good enough (it's gonna be all black), buddy nicknamed it Darth KTM... LOL..

The clutch is a little sluggish - so I will do new plates and springs to see how it does, it works but it's as responsive as my SXC...

The exhaust is going to be the big ?? Mine has some minor rust spots - so they will be coming off and being cleaned up (see the shots of the rust where the headers mount)... My issue is that I like water crossings and the low pipes are less than ideal... I have thought of getting some other type slipon and putting it on the bike. Similiar to this [​IMG]
    It would be cool to do this on both sides like the rallye versions, but there are some issues that concern me - it would require using the OEM connector running underneath the bike; the current skid pad doesnt cover it so I would have to get/make a bigger longer one, and it's the main reason I can't put a center stand on it (came off my SXC - as a SM it doesn't need it). I really want to do the two pipes on each side - but its far easier to do the one for now. Using the OEM header I should be able to use the OEM Skidplate - (Not shown on the attachment) and the centerstand will mount up and will hopefully help protect the single pipe running along the bottom side of the bike

Per the orig owner of the KTM 620 with the Supertrapp - he has this to say

that single exhaust using a Supertrapp Kit for a YZ 450F. All that was needed were a few hose clamps and a connector for the stock 2 into one head pipes. I also fabricated a bracket for the muffler

Lastly, if anyone knows of a set of the rally tanks that fit on the rear that don't require a home equity loan, I would be interested - buddy and I would think it would look cool to make this look like a rally replica - let face it they look cool all dirty and used (and this will never be a concours style bike).. The 620Adv has a beefier subframe and could handle it without playing switchies with the subframes - see my comparison pic - [​IMG]
    endurists likes this.
  7. DucatiSoc

DucatiSoc Orange.

Oddometer:
    Update?!
  8. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    yeah yeah yeah! lets see it man! :clap
  9. janzamon

janzamon n00b

Oddometer:
    I see you have those dual rear foglights that you see on them dakar bikes. Did your bike have ready wires where to plug them, If not how did you wire them/where did you connect them? I'm thinking about installing similar aux rear lights for better visibility when it's real dark or foggy and maybe also installing an extra switch from where to swich them on. You asked about reasonably priced rear aux tanks. Well I've found that the 1999 660 rallye rear tanks are pretty cheap at 200$ per side. Maybe they will fit with few modifications?
  10. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    hey jan!

the pic of the clean bike with dual rear lights is not his. he posted it to show the low pipe.

i've seen guys with 520exc rear fenders on 640's with those lamps... anyone know what fender for sure?
  11. JAFO

JAFO displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer:
    ya'll aren't helping me avoid the Koolaid...

.. must resist... KLR does just fine for my needs and I know it... but the KTMs are SEC-SEE!!!
  12. hondahawkrider

Oddometer:
    My progess is halted at the moment - I had back surgery at the end of Nov (thanks of years of abuse) and have some complications (more in Feb)... However, I have been tinkering and should be back to it soon... However, I have been reading and planning for the future...

The bike actually looks like this at the moment

[​IMG]

I have been lightly sanding and preping the plastic (haven't gotten to the tank yet), I hope to be painting everything by the end of Feb... I just need to figure out what color .... KTM Orange will be a pain to match - it will WAAAAAY obvious off road in the fall... I am thinking of Silver or Black... Also, when I felt well enough I would replace any rusty bolt I could find ala a ebay bolt kit - which has saved me many many repeated trips to the hardware store

As soon as I can bend over again (no jokes please).. I need to pull the exhaust completely off .. I need to jetcoat it so I can get rid of the rust...

[​IMG]..

I have friend coming over this Sunday - who is going to eyeball out the cuttling the headpipes off right before the 2ndary pipe goes underneath .. So it will look very similiar to the pic of the other bike I posted earlier... I just need to find a cheap enduro USFS stamped exhaust to put on it... I like the idea of a dual pipe setup and my friend could do it, but it would be time intensive and he's doing it as a favor (ie cheaper) so I don't want to take advantage, nor do I want to run up the costs (extra pipe, dual cans - etc) so I am going the easy and cheaper route...

Like everyone who decided to pull a bike apart - I think we all have grandiose plans thinking when we are done, it will be the greatest bike ever... However, from experience it's an easy way for a bike to never get back together - even though there are tons of cool after market parts laying around the garage... Right now the plan is to get it mechanically sound (update the mainshaft bearing, get the custom exhaust completed and mounted, and put the painted plastic on it, and see bout adjusting the mechanical clutch so it's not so stiff, and get a new seat). Then once it's running - I will see bout making it really cool - one piece at a time (unlike the johhny cash song - it wont me mismatched pieces - I hope :D )..

Thus, version 1.0 is really nothing more than an overhaul to make sure it's solid... I have picked a few little item - roadbook and carrier for the dash - TT Headlight protector, and some fast pegs -etc, all cheap off of ebay... The only two items I am in dire need of is said exhaust can - but I will be able to scrounge something - and a ADV seat tho I could recover the existing one - but it's seen better days......

Version 2.0 - will be nothing more than getting a extended choke cable and manually Rad/cooling switch to the dash, and to see if something can be done to protect the big ADV Tank and the petcocks at hte bottom.. The TT protectors have problems and the Motobau stuff is $$

[​IMG]

Version 3.0 - will be the Rallye Tanks - if I can ever find a set ... The 99 Rallye tanks supposedly work - but require fabrication... What I really want is the 97 rally tanks
    [​IMG]
    but those are FAR FAR FAR from cheap...
  13. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Hey, I recognize that bike.....it's in MY garage now :clap ......glad I saw the words "SIMILAR to this" in your thread when I searched for 620A........at first I thought your project bike was the bike I just bought :eek1 :knary

I've removed the stickers from the front fender/rear panels......I'll be dressing it up a bit with some new decals and probably a Renzaco seat (I think......luckily the cheapo Walmart ATV seat cover got me back to San Diego from Denver)

[​IMG]

I had a nice ride back to San Diego from Denver:

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3007

Were you ever able to finish off your project?

I don't see much discussion on ADVRider/LC4 index about 620 EGS-E bikes.......just the 640's......is there a thread for owners of 97/98 620's?
  14. hondahawkrider

Oddometer:
    My quick refresh has turned into something a bit more... it's basically down to a engine in a frame at the moment... My rebuild got put on hold to complete a car resto with my dad for vintage rallying.. However, thats done so it's noe full steam ahead on the KTM..

I will start posting up pics soon
  15. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Fun Hobbies.....let's see a pic of the car too! :clap
  16. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    What's wrong with water crossings and low-slung pipes? Just have to make sure you ride long enough after it(them) to ensure you dry everything out eh?
  17. hondahawkrider

Oddometer:

ummm I have a tendency to go thru water that can go up to 3ft - um not intentionally - it's just deeper that it looks.. I don't want to totally submerge my pipes and have to worry about it.. More so worried about rolling off the trottle and sucking water in... which can't be good...

I am hoping that I can use the luggage rack in a similiar manner to how my 990 is set up - ie - bend the pipes ups so they are underneath the rack with cases - so if I hit the ground I will scrap up a bag and not the exhaust can...
  18. hondahawkrider

Oddometer:
    LOL.... Longest rebuild EVAR

[​IMG]

It's Alive .....

It's been sitting in the back of the garage... SXC is long gone, sold to pay for a wedding in Feb of 09 as my son arrived in June of 09 ... Due the math....

I have been collecting parts here and there and it's coming along great... I did have to pay a dealer to pull the rusty headers off the block, but it went great.. The non supertrapp low pipes I got from here are mounted, cases were cracked and it looks good, carb (fcr41) has been cleaned and it runs great...

All I gotta do to get it on the road is new spokes (which I have), and find a replacement alternative for the tripmaster speedo where display has died...
  19. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Nice work!!!

What did you do about the choke problem?
    bill
  20. hondahawkrider

Oddometer:
    Haven't had a problem with the fcr41 carb...:-)