Conti Trail Attack on 950SE?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by midfat, Dec 12, 2012.

1. midfat

midfat wholesome dirtiness

Oddometer:
    Socal, between the mountains, desert and ocean
    I am wearing my asbestos face mask, so flame away. I'm about to ask a tire question for the SE...

I searched, but could not "quickly" find an answer. Anybody running the Conti Trail Attack on their SE? Looks like a good solution for street -- without SM wheels. The rear is a 150/70-18, so a bit wider than stock. Front is a 90/90-21, so that's perfect. I'm replacing my worn out 908/TKC combo after 5000 miles. I've run the Pirelli A/T Scorps in the past. Not my favorite tire. Looking to be on pavement for a while.
  2. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Na nobody would put those on a SE [​IMG]
  3. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    K60 is the about the best allround tire for a 950. Check with Craig at CJ Designs.
  4. River6822

River6822 Fat kid on a 950 SE

Oddometer:
    I use them as my street tire and like them but I haven't had much confidence with them on anything more technical than a dirt road.
  5. David37

David37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently running the Conti Trail Attacks on my 950SE. IMO they are one of the best street tires you can put on an 950SE. Don't expect too much from these tires when you leave the pavement.
  6. midfat

Oddometer:
    Okay, sounds like the Conti might make a decent alternative to the Scorpion A/T. After the third time that tire stepped out on me with modest throttle, I decided to give something else a try. Now, mind you, this being an SE, I should expect a little tail slide from time to time, but the 908 with knobs was a better rear tire on pavement than the Pirelli. Gonna give the Contis a try.
  7. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enduro 3 sahara 140/80 on the back, Anakee2 on the front. Perfect on the street, very good off it.
  8. NKL

NKL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run them on my 990 Adventure for road work and they are brilliant.
  9. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only problem is they dont wear out. ten K miles on mine when I pulled em and sold em.
  10. Sacal

Sacal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6000 miles on Conti TA's so far (990A), autobahns, mountain twisties, the potholed roads of eastern Europe and some trail work thrown in for good measure. In the dry they behave very well, in the wet leaned over if you give it a handful they will slide and spin but always in a controllable and fun way when you learn to trust them :D The first time I got the rear spinning leaned over in the wet it happened in such a controlled way I actually though it was the clutch slipping! On dry trails they work well but be warned anywhere near wet mud. Definitely recommended for road work, don't forget that for road work it's not always how fast you can go but also how fast you can stop :deal
  11. katanarama

katanarama riding > posting

Oddometer:
    I ride my 990 year around here in Vancouver and have Conti Trail Attacks on a 19/17 set up.

These tires are excellent in the dry and confidence inspiring in the wet. Good on graded dirt and gravel roads and passable on semi slick conditions. Anything really wet or muddy then you will struggle.

I rate them a great all around tire and the gain on the standard Scorpions for those riding 80/20 hiway/dirt roads is easily noticed.
  12. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 these tires are fucking amazing... I'm at right around the same and they're still round. I did a burn out and it barely put a mark in them.
  13. midfat

Oddometer:
    Ordered a set from RMATV. $240 shipped, front and rear. I do quite a bit a canyon twisties living in So Cal. Like a said, the Pirelli Scorpions would step out on dry pavement with just a little throttle. I learns to anticipate it, but always felt like I was playing with fire. The Conti's sound like a much better street tire. And off road, he'll, I live in the desert. It's never muddy. If it is, I'll ride my plated 450.
  14. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Trail Attacks work terrific on the road...

[​IMG]
  15. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I used them for a 1000+ mile road trip on my SE with as many tight and nasty twisties as I could find. They were brilliant on pavement. I didn't really try them much on dirt - just a blast across a vacant lot with loose desert sand. I didn't really test them but they were fine. I pulled them off and they're waiting for the next street trip. On the plus side, they were easy to spoon on and off.
  16. ChR1s

ChR1s Spherical Bastard

Oddometer:
    That's tough to watch.

Why would anyone use that Conti on a d-s/adv bike, for its intended purpose? "Trail Attack"? yeah.
  17. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually thought they worked pretty damn good on hardpack and gravel. A bit loose but allot of fun. Specially if you dropped them to 25ish
  18. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    Interesting. I run Anakee2 front and rear. Tried a set of Conti TA and sold them after playing about with tyre pressures and never able to get them feeling as good as the Anakee2 on pavement.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. codys

codys Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer:
    I'd probably run that a\Anakee on the rear for street work and a little dirt road if it came in an 18 inch rear . Oh well.. I had a beemer buddy that took his big GS all over the place with an Anakee pushing him through some pretty loose/crappy road.

Is it me or do the trail attacks look real similar to the road attacks or even the sport attacks for that matter. Funny they put trail in the name even. Maybe gravel road attacks.. :D
  20. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just put contis on my Duc. So far I am happy, but only road miles so far. Only "trail" tires available in wide 17"s. (180/190s). If I didn't have two bikes, i could see having a set of these on the street rims for the SE. I hated the scorps on the Duc. Cupped quickly up front (much quickedr than the Distanzia SM compound) and rear wore quickly and punctured easily.