MotoGP 2013 Indianapolis - questions from a first time attendee

Discussion in 'Racing' started by whitebreadadv, Jul 10, 2013.

1. whitebreadadv

whitebreadadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple quick questions for those of you who have been to MotoGP Indy or are a regular at other MotoGP venues. My wife and I have tickets (Penthouse over turn 1). With 2 small children at home and a job that requires very erratic (and often short notice) travel this is likely the only race we'll attend for the next couple years so we don't want to miss anything.

Questions:

Are there any "must see or must do" events over the course of the weekend? We'll be at the track for Friday morning practice through end of race ceremony Sunday. Anything specifically worth planning for other than the obvious practice/qualifying/race sessions?

Are the paddock passes worthwhile? They are freaking expensive - $250/person for three day paddock pass that only gets you to the area behind the garages, no pit lane access. If it's worth the admission price I'm willing to pony up but doesn't seem like it from the description.

Are there any times/areas with any kind of pit lane/garage/rider access (like what you can get at AMA/BSB/etc)?

When Rossi wins, would it be impolite to gloat and celebrate because my wife is a Marquez fan?:rofl

Thanks in advance for any sage advice, tips, or sarcasm you can offer :D
  2. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    don't know about the paddock passes, but they do offer a pit walk, either fri or sat evening. most teams push the bikes out, a few start em up so you can hear em up close, pretty cool to do if you happen to be there, and it's free.
    a must do if the weather is good is the indy mile dirt track race just up the road at the fairgrounds sat evening, besides, the state fair also goes on, so the food vendors are great, and the race takes on a great vibe with the lights from the rides in the background, plus lots of the motogp paddock will be in the stands and in the pits, Rossi is usually there hanging out, plus, free to get into the pits before the races and chat it up with the racers, just ask directions to the tunnel that goes under the front straight.
    those seats you have at the speedway are good ones, one of the best spots on the track, I usually watch at least one practice session up there, but take the time to explore the track and check out other locations, one of my faves is right along the front straight when the motogp bikes are out for practice, simply awesome sound, bring earplugs!! less crowded viewing in the infield, along with vendors and such, food, beer stands, etc.
    all in all, a great atmosphere, lots of people, but the place is so huge it doesn't feel crowded. plenty of restrooms and water fountains, and the track doesn't rape you on food and drink prices compared to other tracks I've been to. Track employees are very nice and helpful also.
  3. whitebreadadv

whitebreadadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great info, thanks. We will def check out the dirt track as well.

:beer
  4. jersey jim

jersey jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had penthouse seating in turn one when I went, it's a great spot. And sunny or rainy, that roof is nice to have.

I wandered all over for the practice and qualy sessions, the place is huge and you can get lots of different views from the different grandstands, make sure to be along the fence across from the pagoda during a motogp session at some point, the sound as the bikes go through that canyon of concrete is absolutely incredible.

Make sure you go to the museum on the grounds, it's an epic collection of mechanical awesomeness.
  5. spezjag

spezjag Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure you get to the State Fairgrounds for the Mile the night before - lots to see and do, and then the racing is fantastic!
  6. 2Wheels4Soul

2Wheels4Soul Why fit in when you were born to stand out?

Oddometer:
    I would do the qualifying if possible. The last 10-15 minutes are great. You can also walk around the infield (not paddock) without too much of a crowd on that day. The Indy museum is cool as well. We had a blast when we went a couple of years ago.
  7. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the museum. If you haven't seen it, its worth the hike up there. Some real racing history there you not likely to see elsewhere. Do the pit walk, its as close as you can get to those garages and the bikes with a ticket to the race.

I wouldn't pay $250 for walking around the paddock area behind the garages. You can see some sights back there, and sometimes run into the stars face to face, but I wouldn't pay that much for the experience.

You are in for a treat though, Indy is an iconic racing venue, even if it isn't the best of road-racing circuits on the MotoGP calendar, they bring the whole show, all three classes. Lots of vendors in the gasoline alley area. Put on some good walking shoes. You will have a good time. :deal
  8. HoneyBunz

HoneyBunz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a paddock pass at Laguna Seca a few years back for $50.
    If you were willing to stand in a crowd around a small roped off area you might get an autograph or pic with one rider, if you are lucky.
    The real show was out on the track. There are usually other opportunities to meet riders outside of the paddock area.
    For me, I didn't think a paddock pass is worth $50. I don't care for autographs, but some folks pee their pants with joy.
    You will have plenty of time over three days to explorer everything.
    Bring cash, ear plugs and drinking water, you'll have a great time.
  9. ts3doug

ts3doug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the downtown bike thing called bikes on meridian or something like that? Tens of thousands of motorcycles. Can't remember if that was Friday or Saturday night
  10. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there camping at the track? showers? what's it like if anyone has experience.

If there isn't wheres the best hotel to stay at for access to the track and they other events going on?
  11. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Define "best."

Indy is not a big city, but it has a ton of surplus hotel rooms. If you want cheap, there are dozens of options. If you want luxury, there a few. Either way, your commute to the track will be easy.
  12. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    You'll probably have a tough time getting a room downtown, freakin Gen Con is in town the same weekend:norton

The south burbs would be your best bet IMHO if you want a hotel. There are several Holiday Inn/Hampton/Marriott properties along I-65 just south of I-465. Makes for a quick interstate trip on I-65 to the north side of the track and weasling in on Kessler Blvd or Lafayette Rd.

In addition to the Mile (a MUST attend event) there will be short track racing at the county fairgrounds Friday http://www.midamspeedway.com/ There's also a stunt bike competition downtown if you're in to that.

Yeah I got the e-mail about paddock passes and there's is no chance I'm gonna drop that kind of coin for a cattle call:eek1

Come on down and enjoy!
  13. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Again? :baldy
  14. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    My Mom lives 45 minutes north of Indy, I don't have to worry about accommodations. :D

DO NOT and I mean DO NOT miss the smoked turkey leg at that track, its great.
  15. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    You got a link for the $250 paddock passes? I thought the only way in was a hideously expensive VIP Village ticket.
  16. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been the T1 pent seats a few times. Great place to watch the racing. I watch everything else trackside Infield on the viewing berms.

The Indy Mile is spectacular. Make sure your seats are high in the stands so you can see. I had front row seats in 2008 and had to move because the bikes run along the wall below you and you can't see the finish unless you are high.

Definitely the museum.
  17. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    The camping is in a grass field across the street from start/finish. They have a shower trailer too. Very handy, but if you've never camped at a motorcycle race before, don't count on getting a lot of sleep. :D
  18. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    You can Hotwire the Ramada in the southwest of town for under $40/night.
  19. KJD19892

KJD19892 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple years ago when I went they did a free trials riding demo thing near the pits I believe one day that was pretty awesome to see. And they did a stunt show somewhere in town which was also cool to me. I second the turkey legs!! They are amazing!!
  20. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    Bring your walking shoes.

Walk all over the F'n place. I got good tickets from a dude out on the street.

That's all I got.

:D

I went for the first one in 2008. Rode all the way there to meet 3 friends.