The Honda Aero 125 Thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by RedArrow, Nov 14, 2013.

1. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone, Here's the update on the Heinkel generator light which was staying on sometimes, meaning it wasn't charging most the time soooooo......cowl comes off:

[​IMG]

Remember when we were assembling the Scoot, and I wanted to clean all the contacts to the voltage regulator but scootrboi said lets get her on the road!

Once we we started unscrewing and pulling on wires, we noticed one of the main dynamo wires DF was loose.

[​IMG]

This was the wire that was the problem, here is the Heinkel schematic:

[​IMG]

So we cleaned all the contacts, washers and wires...and now the generator light goes off at a lower RPM then ever before.

Easy Great Day!
  2. TheNorthernMonkey

TheNorthernMonkey Clueless n00b

Oddometer:
    I never wrote a RR for last years trip to Scotland, but I've got a few pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. oldhippie1

oldhippie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It wouldn't hurt to put some dialectic grease on all the connections.
  4. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would work well on the philosophical points.

What a relief it was to discover the loose wire! Last fall I replaced the carbon brushes on my other Heinkel, and removal of the engine is the first step. I brought the service tools, and could get the brushes, but for me the operation would take an entire day. For a real Heinkel mech 2 or 3 hours. It is a workout. I was thinking I brought the wrong Heinkel to AZ. But this Heinkel has only 25,000 miles on it, and the brushes last about 3 times longer than that, or they did on the old one, and were still serviceable. There is a lot to do after the move, I didn't need the distraction.
  5. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    TNM ~ Thank you, really beautiful pic's... Looks like a great ride!

The storm has blown over, it is looking like a day I might be riding the Heinkel...We are going to try to make a movie!

Stay tuned.

Here's a pic from last nights dusk over the canyon...

[​IMG]

~ Red
  6. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics TMN. Great sunset red. We have a winter storm warning in effect starting this afternoon. If Northern Alabama turns into a winter wonderland it may give me the chance to get some nice pics. We had a really nice snow last winter and I took these pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. klx250sfguy

klx250sfguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some nice pics here. TNM, your pics of Scotland remind me a lot of Newfoundland. I like your Royal Enfield :clap

Klaviator, how did you go from sport bikes and touring bikes to scooters? I ask because I've been following your You Only Live Twice thread. For those unaware, it's a GREAT read (found up in Day Trippin').
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    That's a long story. Just keep reading my thread and eventually I'll get to that.

We had our first real snow of this year in Huntsville so I went for a ride on my Kymco. It was real interesting since my rear tire is a Chen Shin with about 10,000 miles on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was hot and humid today which normally is the advance notice of a cold front on the way. Supposedly by Friday but the forecast calls for north winds and hardly any cooling at all. I need not have gone for a Vespa ride to beat the chill...but I did anyway!
    [​IMG]
    This Vespa runs off the magneto with no battery and no autolube. As long as I can keep the piston from seizing it should run...
  10. blugg1

blugg1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Conchscooter, looks idyllic, wish I was there, love water but this is a desert, defined by the absence of water.

Klaviator: that fine photograph of the lake with the frozen trees. What camera did you use?
  11. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Hey Everyone, Really nice posts today! I really enjoyed the pictures.
    We had fun today also, I got my second ride on the Heinkel!!!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B0hfQ68Danw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

See you around!

~ Red
  12. oldhippie1

oldhippie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Red Arrow you looked good on the Heinkel but don't paddle with your feet when you come to a stop. If you ever hit anything with your foot you could break a toe. A freind of mine did that. Come to a stop then put your feet down.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It was just a cheap point and shoot, a Canon A2300. the conditions that day were just perfect to get good pictures. I went out to that same spot today but it was overcast so my pictures didn't come out as good. I am now using a more expensive Olympus waterproof camera but I don't think it takes any better pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. knucklehead90

knucklehead90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It isn't the tools - its the 'carpenter'. Nice shots. You have a great eye for the right angles and perspective.
  15. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    kavilator ~ I agree with knucklehead90 you have a really nice sense to capturing pictures, I'm so sorry looks really COLD!

~ Red
  16. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone, just an update for all those who PMed me recently. Jerry sent me a nice email he is doing fine, he is writing on other forums. He was also a great help with Puch. She is in the Honda Room and I'm trying to fix a few of her leaks. Jerry was always really great about offering very sound advice. Which I miss about not having him around.

[​IMG]

Today, I plan on riding the Heinkel again, He is really fun to ride and very easy to maneuver. The hand shifting is very forgiving and there is a solidness to the bottom end that makes you feel secure.

oldhippie1 ~ I know... bad habits about putting my feet down, I kind of started doing this with Trail when I'm in the dirt. And now it carries over to my riding style. I will try to keep aware of this.

Thank you.

~ Red
  17. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Woke up to 6 inches of new snow. 8am I started shoveling the driveway.

By 10am I'd done the sidewalk into the house from the street and up and down a bit.

Done. Whew. Indian food for lunch. Yum.

Then 3.5 miles up and over the mountains with the hounds... in the snow. They had a blast. Another good dump, I'll ski it.

It's pretty and all. Thing is, in a month, I'll be riding the scooter and la motos.

Estimate on the Audi tomorrow; we'll see how good Progressive is...
  18. RedArrow

RedArrow With scootrboi

Oddometer:
    bmwloco ~ I'm glad you are keeping happy with more snow. I guess you just live with it being cold. Do you chop firewood?

~ Red
  19. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to burn firewood. But I got rid of my splitter, rarely use my chainsaw and my old Dodge no longer hauls wood, only la motos.

Envi blocks had been on my radar for a couple years. www.hearth.com kept popping up. They are made from remnants i.e. dust from hardwood floor production. All the moisture is sucked out, better than cut wood.

Saw an ad on craigslist and called. Local delivery free. I got 3 cords worth two years ago... I'm about 1/3 of the way through.

I get 7 hour burns out of two logs. Very easy to regulate. 600-700F stove runs for 5 hours. Much more dependable and easier to regulate than any cut wood.

They're stacked in the basement. Half 3 brick blocks or 6 packs of smaller. You carry two packs up, you know you are hauling wood.
  20. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Reading your post about wood and wood blocks brought back all sorts of memories. The old story in New England was that burning wood kept you warm 3 times - when you cut it and brought it home, when you split and stacked it, and when you burned it. I felt like I spent the entire year worrying about wood. Before we bailed out we got a coal fired add on boiler next to the oil fired boiler in the basement, so when the coal fired boiler was hot it turned on a pump and circulated the water in the jacket to the oil boiler, and then the zone pumps brought the heat to the house. It worked well if we had electricity. But I had to work on the coal fire twice a day.

The hell with it, we moved to California.

Much better.