FJR1300 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Putts, Nov 4, 2008.

1. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    agreed.
  2. clocklaw

clocklaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    My front is a Conti Motion that has now worn out two rears (a CM rear and the PRIII). I am pulling it this time but I could probably get one more rear out of it if I really wanted. I ordered a set of Angel GT's so I am looking forward to a new front tire that hopefully won't tank slap if I pull my hands off the bars for a second.

I am going to talk to my dealer about the PRIII....I doubt that they can get it covered for wear but it won't hurt to ask.
  3. SlowRoll

SlowRoll One Day Closer To......

Oddometer:
  4. SlowRoll

Oddometer:
  5. clocklaw

clocklaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice....how was the Pie??? :wink:
  6. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    Has anybody gone from a VFR to an FJR?

My gut tells me it is time to shed the VFR but I am having a lot of trouble letting it go.

I don't ride it much but when I do it is so nice. However, it's a bit cramped now that I'm getting older.

I want to have something silky smooth in the stable, a roomier even more comfortable VFR. Is the FJR it?

:ear
  7. SlowRoll

Oddometer:
    After eating a giant cheeseburger with fries I was stuffed, but I suffered through a slice of apple pie with two scoops of ice cream!
  8. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've only had my FJR about a month, so my observations are not complete, but I'll help if I can.

I had a '94 VFR750 for a while and absolutely loved it. It was the prettiest bike I've ever owned, made wonderful noises, handled well and never let me down. It's one of the handful of bikes I've owned that I could not walk away from w/o glancing back over my shoulder. For ME, however, it was a 50 mile at a time bike. After an hour or so, my shoulders started to hurt. I"m 52 and in pretty good shape, but hardly flexible. I tried the Heli risers and they helped a bit, but not enough. My only other issue was the lack of hard bags. I could have worked that out, but was never satisfied w/ the look of Givi's on the VFR.

My FJR, an '03 model, is more comfortable, plenty fast, handles better than I can ride, has pretty good bags (IMO, BMW still makes the best factory panniers) and still looks pretty good. The inline 4 makes more power but carries more weight, so real world performance is a wash.

So, for me, the FJR is a good move from the VFR. Your mileage may vary.

Ride safe

Frank
  9. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned a couple of VFR's prior to my FJR. I wouldn't describe a FJR as a "more comfortable VFR", but it is definitely more comfortable. The VFR's DNA, at least prior to the ill-fated new one, is that of a gentlemen's sportbike - a sportbike with a V4 and slightly softened ergos, a little more screen, etc., but still fundamentally a sportbike. The FJR OTOH, definitely feels like a big/heavy touring bike - a relatively nimble one compared to most other touring bikes, but still a touring bike.

Functionally over the road, it translates to a much bigger, faster, smoother, much more comfortable bike that can hustle in the twisties pretty well up to a point. But you never feel like you can really ride it purely like a sportibke - there is just too much mass, especially in the drivetrain with the 5-speed and shaft. And the FJR is very "low slung" - to get a low seat height on such a big bike, they really slammed it down which has two big drawbacks - limited leg room and limited cornering clearance. I can ride a VFR at the track at 8/10th's-plus and be comfortable - on the FJR, anything above 7/10ths or so feels like you're dancing with the devil.

If you're comfortable with this small loss in sportbike "edginess" and are comfortable with nearly 150 more lbs of weight, you'll love the FJR. It feels like its in a whole different league for roominess, comfort, smoothness, luggage carrying, and engine power.

- Mark
  10. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    This. :nod :deal
  11. AKjitsu

AKjitsu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While a defective tire is always a possibility, that messed up wear pattern is a textbook example of what a total lack of rebound damping looks like. I'd be looking at the rear shock first. Until you get that straightened out, it doesn't matter what kind of tire you put back there.

Stock rear shock? They usually stert to go at about 15,000 miles. At 30,000 miles all you essentially have back there is a spring.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.
  12. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all who responded to my post about the VFR vs FJR. Anybody else :ear

I was hoping to hear that the FJR was indeed just a more comfortable VFR :lol3

'Sorta like I wish I could convert my WRR to a GS when I turn on to a Highway. :D

I want something like a VFR but I also want a largish sport tourer (I used to have an 85 K100RT in the stable). Oh well, the search continues for the perfect mix of bikes to have in the stable. :freaky
  13. clocklaw

clocklaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Penske rear installed new at traxxion dynamics about 2,500 miles ago, ride in and professionally installed, customized for me personally. It's not the shock, it's a throttle / payload (too much ass /too much happy twisting) issue or a bad tire.
    Mobile Clocklaw
  14. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Really? I'd argue the FJR has buckets more power below 6K than the VFR. The VFR is a dog at low revs, especially the ones with that VTEC garbage. It's also far more comfortable, and a better choice all around for touring. The only area the VFR has an FJR beat is handling, and if you have one of the latest heavier ones, even less so.
  15. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    How about a photo of the front..

Have you run a Road Pilot PR II?
  16. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got sidetracked with the trackday but I'm thinking about TGPR on Sept.8th,,,,,, anyone local {track is in Oxford Ala.} interested? I might take the DL650 too. If we don't trailer down, I'm thinking of riding down on the FJR and camp at Tally that Sat. night if they still allow it {haven't done a track day with X-Act before????}.

Come on now,,,, y'all know it'd be a ball riding around in Novice on a touring bike tormenting squidlets on repli-racers.:lol3

BTW,,, I'm thinking I'll run Bridgstones,,, I think they are B-023GTs I think??? Seems like around 250$ a set. Anyone run those? I've run Diablos, Stradas, Pilot Powers and Pilot Roads before turning it into a more touring oriented bike with Shinkos or various takes offs. I was quite happy with all of the above when playing except the Strada front. I know they don't sell the Stradas anymore and I'm not thinking of running them, just stating what I'm familiar with. I also haven't donetrackday on this particular bike and I don't want to ruin a rear tire trying to track a 650lb "sportbike}". Will the B-023 rear handle the heat? Reason I ask as I've ruined two Pilot Powers in back to back days when trying to run them on a R1 {thought they might last longer than Pilot Races but the PP got hot, fell off and chunked}. I do tend to come outta the corners heavily on throttle even on the tank.:evil
  17. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty decent deal. Mind if I ask who you ordered from?
  18. richarddacat

richarddacat Everything is green and submarine.

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a pair of Avon's Storm 2 Ultra's for $287.oo from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC not including the $40.00 prepaid rebate card :wink: so figure $247.00 :D

I thought you were putting on a CarTire Clock?? :ear
  19. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know that I could put it any better than markjenn or agree more than Rider. I was leaning toward an R1150RT... :eek1 Yeah, at least in appearance, that's way toward the "touring" end of things, but, the RT's can be hustled along pretty smartly, especially since they're 100 pounds lighter than an FJR, and only incrementally heavier than a VFR. BUT (2): I couldn't find one for a price I could justify. After some reading (including CL), I started snooping for an FJR, ending up with a really low mile 2007. She's a big girl, and I've not thrashed her down the really tight stuff, but for two lane travel, rather than hooning around, I think she's the perfect current completion of the "stable."
  20. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You'll have a big time at TGPR (which is actually south of Oxford, between there and Talladega). It's not a big track and it's pretty flat, but you can still get up some pretty good speed on the back side.

I grew up in Oxford and have ridden the track and seen some great WERA racing there.