Quick question for the CR500 Guru's

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by OldDog, Jul 12, 2014.

1. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    Howdy all, being a Honda CR500 noob I need to ask what is probably a very embarrassing noob question.......

How do I identify the year of manufacture of this engine? I have in my possession a water cooled CR500 motor which is pulled down. Apparently this motor was used in serious dirt sidecar use and I have the expansion chamber to prove that much. The guy I got it off said it was from a 2000 or so model, but I've just been informed that its more likely a 86-89 model?

I'm going to do some nasty, sick "experimental":eek1 things with this engine at some stage, so also need to know which if theres a particular model that is considered a "keeper", any weaknesses etc.

Thanks

Bill
  2. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look here. There's a year code in the VIN. On the engine the number usually starts with 2 or 3 letters. It's in there. Post up the engine number and we'll figure it out.

BTW the 86 had the biggest peak power numbers but is a real beast due to peakyness. And a peaky CR500 is a scary animal.
  3. Rd650

Rd650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Old Dog sent you a PM
  4. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Hey Roger, email sent! Thanks.

I've had a look at the VIN number on the tag and its PE02E 5502833

Looking at vin number searches this comes up as either an 86-87 model motor or a 96 model motor:huh

To be truthful, I'm just happy to have a CR500 motor, but I will need to know the year for parts and specs so I can work out just what has been done to the engine.

Thanks
  5. Rd650

Rd650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Old Dog
    Should be in your email let me know if it does not show
    Thanks Roger
  6. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Yup it's shown up, Thanks again Roger much appreciated!
  7. Rd650

Rd650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem Good luck with your project.
  8. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

So looks like the engine is largely an 87 model with lots of porting and later model side cover / water pump mount. It's .5 mm over bored but seems to have the longer conrod, and yet has the earlier crankcases which are 5 mm shorter.

All very strange, but anyway now I have a bit more of a handle on what I have. Dunno if its any better / worse than the more modern ones but the earlier had more power so for me I'm happy to believe the earlier motor is the better one:lol3

Cheers