Shenandoah 500

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Motor, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Motor

Motor Poet Lariat

Oddometer:
    Time to start planning to attend the Shenandoah 500 Dual Sport !!

All pre registration, no entries after Sept 15 or 200 riders, whichever comes first, NO POST REGISTRATION.

Go to http.www.nvtr.org to download our flyer.

Look me up when you get there.

jed hargrave
  2. truck6driver

truck6driver Proud Navy dad!

Oddometer:
    I'm out again. I scheduled the vacation that weekend, but my bike is down with trans problems and the money I'm loosing on gas driving the car and what the repairs are going to cost will take any money I would have had for the event. It is a 6 hour drive up and back and the way gas cost that is a shit load of money. That is not including food and stuff. It has been several years since I have been to the event and I wish I could have gone this year. I hope everyone has a fun safe ride.

Ray
  3. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision! 40488

Oddometer:
    See you there. :evil
  4. Louge

Louge silence of the limbs

Oddometer:
    yellow house 25 miles NW of the white house
    I've been pasting [​IMG] posters all over Camp David for weeks. Rumor had it you bought some new tennis shoes and joined one of those Heaven's Gate cults ...

Hi Jed :wave
  5. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on it. It was wicked good fun last year, if dusty. Plus, I need to acquire my apple butter supply for the winter.

[​IMG]
  6. Motor

Motor Poet Lariat

Oddometer:
    Be sure to print both pages of the flyer as the second page is the entry form.

Lou, I have been trapped here with a major renovation of the main house since March. Nearly finished now and looking forward to as many Dual sports as I can run this fall.

jed
  7. FormerInmate 081920

FormerInmate 081920 Guest

Oddometer:

pretty cool that they did the the National Memorial Day Parade:thumb
  8. Gotlabs

Gotlabs Killing with kindness

Oddometer:
    I'll be there, well I sent my registration in so I hope I'll be there.:deal
  9. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
    Are you riding Freak?
  10. Whitebone

Whitebone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in and I had a blast last year. If you are looking at staying in a hotel, good luck. It is parents weekend at JMU and all the hotels in the area are booked. The camp site is a lot of fun anyway.
    [​IMG]
  11. Gotlabs

Oddometer:
    You aint kidding, I finally found a room for the 4/5 only in harrisonburg. All the BnBs are booked also. I'm really looking fwd to this event even goin it alone.
  12. FOXedupONE

FOXedupONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Check was in the mail the first day the flyer came out. I was too late last year and it filled up.:cry

I'll be camping. Should be a blast.:freaky:kumbaya
  13. Skippii

Skippii Did you eat my Zinger???

Oddometer:
    Hm...a local event?
    Interesting.
    Well, I'd have to fix my Ninja first. And then I'd have to mount a spark arrestor to it...I'll have to look into what that is, exactly. And then I'd have to join the AMA.
    Money's tight, so I guess I'm out this year, but I'll definately keep this in mind for next year. Looks like a lot of fun.

One question, though....why, in the list of hotels, do you not include the Courtyard Marriott in Harrisonburg? It's next door to the Hampton, which is listed. I work there, and we always get a lot of motorcyclists at our hotel.

oh...wait...I just noticed the dates. We're sold out that weekend, and so are just about all the other hotels in the area.
    So, friendly advice to those of you looking for lodgings:
    BOOK YOUR HOTEL NOW!

It is Parents weekend at JMU, so you're unlikey to find any hotels left in Harrisonburg, but you might find some in Staunton.
  14. Gotlabs

Oddometer:
    Motel 6 in harrisonburg had rooms as of last night for the 4/5. There are the mom and pop places that don't take reservations also.
  15. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
    I honestly don't know if street bikes have spark arrestors or not.:dunno
    You don't have to be a member of the AMA.
  16. Skippii

Oddometer:
    I know mine does NOT have one.

And it says on the entry form that AMA membership is required to participate.
  17. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
    Well, that's funny cuz last year I had no problem and I'm not an AMA member - or maybe I am now??. Now that I think of it, I think they take care if it on the spot. So maybe it's an extra $10 or sumthin'? :dunno

I've seen spark arrestors somewhere. I think it's like a $25 wire "cage" you can stick in your muffler. I think I came across them in a thread about Staintune's for KLR's which apparently don't come with one.
    You like track time and you like dirt. Shen500 is right up your alley :deal
  18. Skippii

Oddometer:
    I just looked up spark arrestors. Cheapest ones I can find are $65 each, so I'd need 2. And then I'd have to figure out a way to weld them onto my mufflers...
    Alternatively, FMF sells USFS mufflers for $107 each.
    Whether they'd pass the dB inspection I suppose is another question. I'd assume they would, though, but they might still be labled for Off-road use only, since they seem more geared towards dirtbikes and ATVs.

AMA membership starts at $39/year.

So, at a minimum, I'm looking at $230 for a one-day ride.
    And that's ignoring the fact that my Ninja doesn't even run right now, and I'm not doing it on the Ducati.
    Nope...I think I'll have to wait until next year, as much as I'd love to do it.
  19. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
    Just for the record: TWO day ride.

You do it on the Duc and I bet we could get them to waive the entry fee :rofl

Why not trade the Duc for a KTM (or an old KLR) and be done with it? You'd like an LC4 I bet. :deal
  20. Bowtie76

Bowtie76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just reserved primitive site #3 for the weekend so I will see you all there

Shawn R