Copper Canyon 2013

Discussion in 'Americas' started by michaellmcc, Dec 9, 2012.

1. michaellmcc

michaellmcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven't ridden in Mexico is several years... looking to take my "big GS" to Copper Canyon in the first quarter of 2013. My route would be Austin to Presidio for the border crossing, Chihuahua City, Creel. Would like to visit Batopilas and Urique. Total trip length around seven or eight days.

Would appreciate the latest FACTS on the road from Creel to Batopilas, alternate route, etc.

"The adventure starts when things don't go according to plan..." or something like that.
  2. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    You might try the Is Mexico Safe? thread, but generally things are pretty calm right now.
  3. michaellmcc

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I've looked at the thread you mentioned but thought it best to start a new one, rather than be buried with opinions re general safety in Mexico.

Just for clarification, I'm asking for recent real-world experience with the road between Creel and Batopilas that has been reported as being under construction.

Gracias!
  4. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    I was in Batopilas this last easter week and the road was all paved except for the last 24 miles coming from Creel. Due to the construction the first 1-2 were torn up pretty good. There were some spots in the 24 miles where there was other construction going on so be prepared for other issues. Be prepared for crowds if you going in that time frame. The weather was great and there were no issues. Plus the hotels in Batopilas were not full, but they could have been with just a few more vacationers. Remember the issues with the TVIP and other documents that are necessary. :wink:

We Rode GS s and had no issues. If you are riding a large bike like the GS you might want to eat your Wheaties just in case you drop it in the dirt, or pack light.

Hope that is what you were looking for.
  5. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    The old road down to Batopilas was not passable in October. Most people are getting to Batopilas via the route from Guachochi that passes through Yoquivo. I didn't ride it, but lots of others have recently. It's reported to be a little rough, but passable. Don't try it in wet weather.

Edit: This was recently posted in another thread.
  6. ozark-nzrider

ozark-nzrider bob1002

Oddometer:
    I will be in San Antonio visiting my son around the middle of February 2013 and was thinking about a trip to Copper Canyon at that time. Have been on two Mexican trips, one down through Baja and back up through the mainland and last year a trip to Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. Are you looking for anyone to ride with? Bob 479 282 5067.
  7. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

I might be wrong, but a day or so ago (maybe 3-5 pages back from today's discussion?) I thought there was a discussion and a video posted of some of the Copper Canyon roads.

Good luck!
  8. BoulderGuy

BoulderGuy out ridin'....

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any current info on the Samachique to Batopilas route or the Laguna de Aboreachi to Yoquivo to Batopilas route? (Aboreachi is about halfway between Creel and Guachochi on the paved road) I've ridden the Samachique to Batopilas route a few times but it was pretty torn up last time through. Thought maybe they had fixed it up a bit to allow an easy way for locals to get around the construction on the main route? Anyone? Bueller?
  9. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546927&page=783
    Post #11735
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch9FIVmFLNQ&feature=player_embedded
  10. michaellmcc

Oddometer:

Thanks, Stickman. I appreciate the first-hand info. I'm planning well before Easter.
  11. michaellmcc

Oddometer:
    ozark-nzrider: Let's see if we get together and start a plan. Feb to early March would suit me. I've had a few others locally indicate at least a passing interest. michaellmcc@yahoo.com

Thanks, Mike
  12. Montek

Montek Eternal Noob

Oddometer:
    was there on easter sunday last year. as stickman stated, only a small section was still dirt-and they are working fast to get it all completed. might have to blow through a construction zone that won't be fun - they will have it pretty tore up, no regard for travelers - but should be doable if'n ya ride with yer big pants on!!!!. I had no troubles the entire trip on my triumph tiger 955i and we took the nasty goat trail from bato to urique. the trip was a damned blast. find a riding partner, it'll be more fun knowing if bike trouble, there is another to run for parts/help - and if ya dump it some where twice, the 2nd time ya might need a hand - or if off camber -or in a ditch someone is there to help a pig out. make sure you air down on the dirt for better traction-it was a little marble-eee.
    Monte.
  13. michaellmcc

Oddometer:
    What're thoughts on GPS mapping? Garmin has their 'normal' Mexico for Mapsource. Bicamapas has a compatible (or so they say) download with much more detail. What have any seasoned travelers down there used?

Gracias...
  14. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    I went last year and used Garmin North America/Mexico DVD-2011 version for the map and that was very detailed for what were we using it for. We had a 60 CSX and a Montana and the detail was more than what we need. If you don't have the map yet, I would go with the DVD since then you can download it to any computer and I am not sure that it would work if you were just using the in the micro-SD file. Check with Garmin for compatiblilty.

What are you plans, needs and how detailed do you need your maps? I have some track let me know what you might need in a PM or email. :wink:
  15. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was there last April. Good times to be had by all. Check out my thread "Cirque de Copper Canyon" and PM me if you have any questions.

Johnnydarock
  16. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Michael. The nephews and I will be taking our big bikes (KTM 950's and a slowoldguy on a GS Adv) down south of Cd Victoria in February to ride some twisties and class 1 and 2 dirt around the Cd Mante, Xilitla, and Jalpan area. Hoping to get to the Barranca Tolantongo.

Gathering up resources and will be glad to share what we find with you. General consensus on here seems to be that Bicimapas is better than Garmin but for dirt roads the Cartographia E32 downloads might be the best. I bought the latest Guia Rojii atlas (2013) but as far as state maps go, they don't seem to have updated them in a while. My plan now is to use the Guia Rojii city to city and the INEGI topo maps and the E32 gps maps for the dirt roads.

We wanted to do CC but the road condition down to Batopilas and the unpredictable weather in Creel made us think further south.
  17. michaellmcc

Oddometer:

Thanks for the feedback and have a good trip! Let me know if you change your mind about CC.
    Mike
  18. michaellmcc

Oddometer:
    Well JohhnyD, thanks for the pointer to your report. Very enjoyable read. My head's swimming with all the different references to different roads and towns... working on clarity right now.
  19. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    When I floated an idea to ride Baja to LaPaz then ferry across and ride CC and north, I was told that CC has gotten snow this winter and would not be a good winter ride....anyone got any idea on whether this is accurate?

:ear
  20. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    <TABLE id=post20461389 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #575757 1px solid" id=td_post_20461389 class=alt1>Copper Canyon area 2 days ago. (Edit: 1/09/13) Photo taken in San Juanito. Road too icey to go on to Creel. Hey it's a ADVENTURE!

TravelGuy :lol3

[​IMG]
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    TRAVELGUY
    DL1000 '05 black
    DL 650 '07 ( lives in Costa Rica )
    DR 650 "08
    .:hide
    <!-- / sig -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #575757 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #575757 1px solid" class=alt2>[​IMG] [​IMG] </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #575757 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #575757 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #575757 1px solid" class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls -->[​IMG] [​IMG] <!-- / controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- post 20461389 popup menu -->
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead>TRAVELGUY</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>View Public Profile</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>Send a private message to TRAVELGUY</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>Send email to TRAVELGUY</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>Find More Posts by TRAVELGUY</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>Add TRAVELGUY to Your Contacts</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Maybe. Maybe not.

<!-- / post 20461389 popup menu -->