Need to fix a few things after the last trip to Baja

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by hazard, Jan 12, 2011.

1. hazard

hazard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The week after xmas 2010, I went to Baja. The standard San Felipe to Coco's on Mex 5, then Bay of LA to San Fransicito, then San Fransiscito to El Arco then Guerro Negro home on the slab.

The day we went from Bay of LA to San Franscito was tough on the bike cuase I was lazy and not up on the pegs. Sometimes between this dump:

[​IMG]

And this dump:

[​IMG]

I took a spill that did a few things. Still had a great time, and the last day on the dirt was uneventful.

Meantime back at the ranch er garage, I need to deal with this:
    [​IMG]

As you can see I trashed the windshield. My ribs did the damage of all things. The duct tape kept it intact for the 1000 mile ride home including 4 hours of 90 mph up US 5, but I ought to replace it.

Question find a better aftermarket one or find a "used" one? If its aftermarket, I don't need it to be big. While I am 6'4", I don't want a huge screen on the bike ideas? Also need to replace the lower pins that hol dit in place. BMW replacement is 355. OUch

Also from the same picture you will notice I sheared a fog lamp, and the turn signal lens is toast. The lens is a no op, the dealer can get a replacement cheap. The lamp still works, but with the housing sheared off, I need a new one, or some other way to re-attache the fog lamp. Any ideas?

Close up:

[​IMG]

The right Jesse Bag 2 was a tad malformed:

[​IMG]

I was thinking of 2 boards on the inside and a hydraulic jack to see if it will straighten out. Any thoughts?

Finally the ZUMO cradle where I ran a headphone jack under the bike seems to have been disemboweled:

[​IMG]

Oh well was a fun if not quick trip.
  2. Shortguy on BMW

Shortguy on BMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    The wind screen go with a Cee Baileys. They will be cheaper and they come in various sizes, go to their web site. The fog lamp go to beemer boneyard and they might have one or replace them both with two 510 PIAAS and it would be probably cheaper. For the Jesse box straighting, use a turnbuckle that you can buy at a hardware store and put it inside with the blocks of wood and spread the box back to its normal form. Remember to do the spreading a little at a time, plus with the aluminum you will have to spread it just a little more that the normal size since the metal will spring back smaller than the stretch is made. I would use a plywood of 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch on both sides. A bolthead on each side ot the turnbuckle with metal not to dig into the wood.

Just out of curosity did you air down the tires to make the bike handle better in the sand since you were running a non knobby street tire?
  4. peanut_gallery

peanut_gallery Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 what stickman said for straightening the jesse box. I've had to do it once before and works fine plus pounded out a few dents in the side with just a hammer and block of wood.

Also on the windshield pivot pins, there is a few dealers that will sell you just the pins instead of the whole bracket if thats all you need. It's pretty stupid how they changed that. Max BMW also caries a update windshield adjustment kit for $65 that includes the pins plus a whole bunch of other stuff.
  5. hazard

hazard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for replying, Its just the cradle thats torked, in fact just the audio out plug that was damaged, so I think I can try to operate on the cradle or get a new one for maybe 60 bucks or so if I want audio, which I do. XM. But thatnks fo rletting me know about the ZUMO repair page, I'm sure I will use it one day.
  6. hazard

hazard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the turnbuckle idea, thanks.

I'll check with the boneyard on the housing.

On my K-1200-GT I had a Cee Bailey and whan I had it up to 100 into a 40 mph wind it just cracked. It was at the time they were using thinner plastic, about 2-3 years ago. They refused to warranty it, so refuse to buy form them again. I understand they are better now, but they really were a-holes when I talked to them about this. Tried to blame me..... I asked if their airplane screens would blow out in a 40mph headwind at 100mph......

I'll sniff around here and see what other windscreens people like. I may also check with the boneyard and see if they have one

7. hazard

hazard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info
  8. RodSTer

RodSTer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the V Stream from ZTechnik on my 09 GSA and really like it. Also have one on my ST1300 Honda, no affiliation just a happy customer. They now have a 3 year warranty, haven't needed to make a claim but love the screen.

I did have to replace broken pins after the fall and there is the pin kit available others have mentioned. I also came across a pin replacement from Nippy Normans which looks cool. http://www.nippynormans.com/TOBINAT...bration-Eliminators/productinfo/TOB-1200GS-VE

Not sure if anyone here has tried them, but it didn't take much to break the stock pins.

Rod