Removed charcoal cannister, bike won't start

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by PackHorse, Feb 23, 2013.

1. PackHorse

PackHorse 2012GS800Trophy

Oddometer:
    I removed the charcoal cannister from my new 2012 F800GS Trophy, (which I have done on a number of other bikes that I have owned), but now it will not start unless you open the throttle while starting. As soon as you release the throttle it dies. Has anyone run in to this problem, any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to plug the line to the vacuum unit on the left side of the bike.
    One of those hoses went to the vacuum sensor.
    It is located behind the small black plastic triangular cover on the left side.
    I used a rubber plug from Napa they sell them in an assorted pack for different line diameters.
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    +:thumb:thumb
  4. PackHorse

Oddometer:
    I have removed all lines from the charcoal cannister and the throttle bodies, plugged the throttle bodies and the vacum switch, although the vacum switch has no lines going to it now. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then you must have bumped something. You mentioned throttle bodies in plural, so I am assuming you pluged then directly, not after the purge valve, with just one plug. That is the only thing that would make the engine misbehave. Did you just take off the two side plastic triangles to plug both manifolds...... At this point..... I would retrace my steps, and investigate.
  6. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did this about 3 years ago but I think I only used one plug.
  7. PackHorse

Oddometer:

I did remove both triangles and plugged both throttle bodies directly, I've done this on several other bikes and everything worked fine, I'm in the process of checking to see if I did bump or disconnect something I should'nt have but I'm on my way out of town today so it will have to wait till next week. Just wanted to check to see if there was something I missed, thanks for the reply.
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers. My intention was not to pick on your skills, but merely to supply my 2 Cents. I makes those mistakes from time to time...:D:D. Most people doing this on the 8GS, just caps the manifold vacuum right upstream from the purge valve, rather than two plugs ( one on each manifold). Just a thought here.....and that is all it is. If you plugged each manifold downstream from the purge valve, you have now isolated it from it's normal vacuum supply, where most ....again.... is just capping it up stream with one plug. Perhaps since it is connected to the ECM.....by not receiving it's vacuum....perhaps the ECM now hiccups.... dunno, but if you find no other mistakes..... I would just single cap it at the upstream line from the purge valve to the CC, and re-install the T from the purge valve to each manifolds. Long shot, I know, but worth a try......:D