So, Tell Me About Your Road King...

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Mountain Cruiser, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:
    I got a quote from the Navy Exchange Sales on a 2013 Road King in TwoTone Candy Orange & Beer Bottle with Striping along with H-D Factory Security System and ABS and ABS Black 28-Spoke Cast Aluminum Wheels and Cruise Control for $20,708. The quote also includes the 5 year unlimited mileage extended service plan w/tire and wheel coverage. MSRP is $22,527. Seems like a pretty good deal. I might go for it.

So, tell me about your Road King....

2. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  3. gymply

gymply Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great price, especially with the extended warranty. I traded in my '04 Heritage Softail for a new 2012 Road King in July. I have only put about 4K miles on it to date, BUT, it has been a really comfortable and enjoyable 4K. The thing just eats up the miles. Longest day I have had so far was a 600 miler over to visit my parents back in November. Felt like I was good for another 200 or 300 when I got there. I have put a few farkles on it since bringing it home, but the only thing that was really necessary to address was the seat and the handlebars. The stock bars had my 6' frame leaning just forward enough to be uncomfortable. I went with a set of 10-inch Mini Apes from Wild 1 Inc. They are not really apes (IMHO), but they are a couple of inches taller and have about 3 inches more pullback than the stock bars. Plus, I was able to use the stock clutch cable and brake line. I did have to solder in about 11 inches of wire for the switchgear. For the seat, I went with a Mustang Vintage Super Touring Seat. With these two additions, it fits me like a glove now. I can see me keeping this bike for a long, long time.
  4. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at a full bagger Road Glide Ultra, but the Road King is cheaper and will suit my needs. I'll just get a passenger backrest with rear luggage rack and lash down a Ortlieb bag if I need extra carrying capacity. Plus I really like that Candy Orange color. I'm gonna have to wait until I get back overseas in April before I can place my order with military sales, but I should be riding that bike in California in August 2013.

5. alii1959

alii1959 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went from a '08 Suzuki GSX600r to an '04 Road King Classic last May. Nearly 6k miles later I can say that this is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. If set up properly, it can really haul. I have spent 10 hours in the saddle without complaint. I have been in 4 states....long trips that I never took on any of the others. I never seem to want to be off of it. No matter how bad the weather! My motorcycle is my main source of transportation. So, while the miles are low the days are many. The only time I have used my truck was when I was sick or had a meeting to attend off campus.

Being nearly a hobbit I have the reach seat and bars. I have removed the heel shifter, added back rests, exchanged rear lights for LEDs, added luggage rack, added dongle to keep passing lights on all the time, new grips, and other miscellany. I keep trying to find new ways to make it "better".

You know when you probably have the right vehicle....I haven't been "window" shopping for a different one. Never had that experience before. Always before I was eager to see the "new" stuff each year. Now, I don't really care.

I cannot say enough about my RKC. I have ventured farther afar with it than any other bike. Is it the fastest? No. Is it the most nimble? No. Is it the most fun? Oh yeah. For many years I thought that the "Harley guys" were crazy...why be so loyal? I am beginning to understand. There is an intangible that goes along with riding the RKC that I cannot put my finger on. Even though I am ATTGAT, with hi-viz gear, I still feel a connection and affection for this bike I never felt for the others. I realize it is just a machine...but, it just doesn't feel that way. I am beginning to order the Kool-aid by the gallon now.
  6. rider33

rider33 Traveler

Oddometer:
    a big, heavy, dead-stable touring bike without the over-kill that typically goes with that. i put about 60 thousand miles on a 'o4 criss-crossing the country with never a problem. if you have alot of stuff, go for the attachable rack/backrest. If you want to feel the wind in your face on a hot day, the screen comes off in about 5 seconds w/two clips. A very flexible bike that fits the 6'+ crowd better than most. Really, my only problem with it was the whole pirate thing which can get old at times.
  7. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    The Road King is my favorite Harley. I've not owned one, but have rented one twice. I have to comment on the classic.

[​IMG]

I could never be comfortable on long trips riding a spoke wheel motorcycle for two reasons. One, the obvious lack of a quick easy fix for punctures, and two, the increased risk of catastrophic air loss you get with spoked wheels.
  8. alii1959

alii1959 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have two thoughts on spoked wheels.

1st: So far, nearly 6k, nary a problem....at all. Lots of people put many thousands of miles on them without trouble. Plus, if a spoke breaks you still can go....cast wheel breaks....well, you know. I haven't had any difficulties and the guys on the Harley sites don't seem to understand why it can make me nervous.

2nd: Am looking into either sealing these wheels or getting cast ones. Yeah, I really like plug-n-play tires. Have never really had spoked wheels 'til now. If I can find a set cheap I'll pull the trigger, otherwise I may try to seal these.

I like the look. But, I like the peace of mind that tubeless gives you. I rode to TN and back without any difficulties. Maybe I am just a worry wart!
  9. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love that color!!

The RK is an excellent bike. I bought a Road Glide Ultra, but I did it in part because the 103 engine wasn't available a couple years back in the RK.

I've rented a RK for a long trip and was impressed at how well it traveled. And, for short summer trips, taking the shield off is fantastic. No Harley is light, but the RK is the lightest of the sumos, and it feels it.

I say thumbs up.

Cakeeater
  10. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    The Road King is a great bike. I had an '01 police version that was the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. Never had a problem with it either. I was looking for another RK when I ran across a deal I couldn't pass up on the '09 Electra Glide Classic that I have now. I'm going to have to put new handlebars on this one to make it as comfy as the RK was right out of the box, but it'll get there. The big Harleys do eat miles nicely and I'm looking forward to a big loop out to the west coast this summer.
  11. silverbandit1

silverbandit1 Adventure Dreaming..

Oddometer:
    I saw this one in person and its a "beautiful" bike, the colors change somewhat depending on the lighting due to the metallic in the paint.
    I just couldn't justify spending that much considering how much/little I ride my existing bikes :cry
  12. Juan Loboe

Juan Loboe Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Road King was a '99. It was Aztec Orange over Diamond Ice two-tone, carb, and had the spoke wheels.

Owned it for five years and about 30,000 miles with zero issues.

Very comfortable, and very easily customized. With the '09 and up frame and ABS, they are great bikes.

My current Harley is a 2012 Ultra, with ABS and security package, and the aluminum wheels. The wheels look good and so far, have proven easy to clean.

Rode yesterday and had the opportunity to lay on the brakes hard in the wilds of Phoenix traffic; with ABS it was a quick stop that left me with great confidence.

The new 103's seem to have a lot more power than the 88's...not surprisingly.
  13. Robert OK

Robert OK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you search the forum you'll find plenty of appreciation for Road Kings. Two things distinguish it from the rest of the HD tourers: removable screen and it's not as ugly as the batwing/sharknose fairing tourers.

If you're in Manilla the former would be a huge plus.

I love mine, but am glad it's not my only bike.
  14. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    ps: Get the cruise control. I think it's an option.

No tax with Military sales, right?

My liquor cabinet is stocked with dirt-cheap "Military Special" bourbon and gin. My brother is retired Air Force, and he keeps me stocked with 6 dollar a bottle booze. It's not great, but it is cheap.

Cakeeater
  15. EricD10563

EricD10563 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Owned one for fours and put 62k miles on my 09 Road King and now riding I'm riding an Electra Glide. The RK was/is a great bike, has the touring frame minus all the heavy stuff, great touring bike that can be taken down to a "Bar Hopper". I like the Glide but to me the RK is a nicer all around bike, the RK is a blank canvas that can me taylored to your liking. I had ABS, cruise control, security package, standard cast wheels for the FLHR, I had a few problems that was taken care of with the warranty (nothing major), got 40 somthing MPG, high speed handling was ok not great (not speed limit speed but 20-30 over) I would experince some wobble from time to to time. The windshield worked well, but the Batwing Fairing works better, I never felt the need to change the seat or handbars the bike was comfortable for me, I changed the windshield to a LRS shield, added highway pegs and a Tour-Pac for touring. I wouldn't have even thought of trading it in if not for the miles and if I could afford to keep two bikes I would have kept it.
  16. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very comfortable, reliable, satisfying motorcycle for long trips, and easy enough to ride around town. I've had my Road King in 45 states, logged many 1000+ mile days, and never once, not once, needed to stop because of discomfort. Can't say that about any other motorcycle I've ridden in over 30 years of riding street bikes.

The trick to any big heavy bike is to learn how to work the motorcycles weight to your advantage. Take some slow speed training classes, and you'll learn how to make that bike dance. MSF training is not going to be enough. On your own you can get the DVD's Ride Like A Pro. That should help.

Oh, that is a beautiful color on your Road King. It's just captivating.
  17. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
    I went from a 2010 Ultra Classic Limited to a 2013 Road King. The Ultra was a nice bike, but I never really cared for all the plastic, stereo, intercom, gauges, etc. The Road King is just nice, clean, elemental bike - cruiser or tourer when you want it.
  18. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:

Yes, I will definitely get the cruise control. I will be liable for state taxes in the state I will register the bike in. In my case that is California. With the Military Sales you can only order a bike when on an assignment overseas. I'm not active duty, but I work on a United States Naval Vessel on four months on/four months off rotation. We are eligible to use the Military Sales when overseas and many of my shipmates have purchased cars and several have purchased HD motorcycles.

19. yogibiker

yogibiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Both my RK's were dependable. Not a loose screw. Best handling HD touring bike. Love my beemers. Wish I thought they were as dependable. Good resale value. Very versatile, except off road of course.
  20. GoonerYoda

GoonerYoda Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer:
    Can you still have a coffee holder?
    [​IMG]