Annoyed, Worried, a little pissed. Talk me out of ditching my GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Mikepotter86, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Mikepotter86

Mikepotter86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought an 08 R1200 GS with 52k on it in February, the bike had great service records, was in great condition, and I freaking love riding it. I've been a BMW enthusiast since I was a kid, and have two airheads that have brought about jealousy in past relationships because of how much attention I pay to them.

I bought this bike, even though it was at the very top end of my price range, to have it for a month long, 6-10k trip this August that I have been saving leave and money for since 2012.

Over the weekend the front driveshaft U-joint failed, leaving me stranded on the PA turnpike. The part for the repair is almost $1000, and after reading up on this, and other issues like final drive failure, I am starting to think and adjusting the chain and replacing it every 12-18k like I did on my V-strom might not be such a bad idea.

I love riding my GS, but I can't stand the idea that this kind of repair could leave me stranded for weeks when a simple chain replacement might cost me a half a day. I never had any mechanical problems with my Strom, and I am sure there are more $1000+ repairs lurking on my GS.

I have had 5 bikes in my lifetime, 3 of which were older than me, and none of them ever left me stranded. I have half a mind to walk into my Suzuki dealer and buy a WeeStrom with 0% financing and a warranty.

Please talk me back from the ledge!

Mike
  2. SQ Beemer

SQ Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which bike do you prefer riding?

Choose that bike, and deal with the consequences. It's easy to be discouraged by a big, unexpected breakdown. I have a blown tranny in my 28k mile f800gs, a rare failure at this mileage. I love the bike, it's not going anywhere.
  3. Mikepotter86

Oddometer:

I prefer riding the GS. But I am not sure it is worth the risk of this happening again in the middle of a long trip, or of Final Drive failure when a chain failing gives warning and takes little money and time to replace.
  4. ClimbtoSafety

ClimbtoSafety Banned

Oddometer:
    I rode White Rim Trail on my '09 GSA last week. I punished that bike in trip-digit temps. Every time I've dumped the bike (off road), I stand it up, turn the key, and get back at it. It's never failed me.

The day after the WRT, my kick-stand censor failed. I was on the side of the road cutting wires and bypassing.

Oh, and my fuel strip has been DOA for a year.

BUT

Man do I love that bike. It's like sleeping with the prom queen...sure they require a little maintenance and upkeep, but damnation is it worth it.
  5. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    I have a 08 KLR with 54,000 mi. that never gave me one problem or ever left me stranded......just sayin':D
  6. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's amazing how many people have stories just like yours . . .

. . . in the Super Tenere forum.

The GS is indeed a nice riding bike, but I've been left stranded twice, personally know a person who had the transmission fail, etc. Again, I'm not slagging the Beemer as a machine to ride and neither do the people in the Tenere community who bailed from BMW.

The Yamaha ergonomics are nearly the same, with the ECU re-flashed it's plenty of fun, and nobody never ever never wonders about the machine while in the middle of a long ride. The bikes'few shortcomings are well known, such as the need for a bash plate and to protect the fan. Maintenance is 26,000 mile valve adjust and everything else is easy DIY. Any Yamaha dealer around the world either has or can get Yamaha prices quickly if needed. Used Teneres can be bought for good prices since the Gen2 bikes are out and people are trading in.

Buy what you enjoy (BMW, Suzuki, or any other) and can afford to keep, both financially and worry-wise.
  7. lulo

lulo Cochino Aventurero

Oddometer:
    ive had many many bikes including 3 trips down the vee/wee family (all in all a combined 120k miles on them) I also had a klr...I ve had plenty, for the last year or so ive owned an 07 gsa and logged close to 18k on it (just shy of 36k), no issues thus far knock on wood, I bought it knowing fully well of its flaws and made my peace w them, next winter plan on pulling the shaft off and sending it to brunos to get the front joint re done before a failure....as far as the fd im pretty confident that w fluid changes every other oil change it should last me a while.

everybody's outtake on a bikes use is different, for some its a means to an end witch is about the destinations, for some others such as myself its about the trip itself and the second by second bond w a machine, sure vstroms and klr's are utterly reliable but I wouldn't change my gs for one regardless off the lesser reliability, they don't brake or handle near as good, throw a passenger and luggage into the mix and the gap only widens no matter how well your jap bike might be set up.....my gsa makes a mockery of superbikes in the twisties all while ive been riding two up.

I also rode a tenere, a well set up tenere w the reflash and redone suspension....loved the engine but it wouldn't hold a candle to my gsa when it came to brakes, suspension and overall composure, I love ktm adventures but im in a point where I have very little time to spare and im all about riding time as opposed to wrenching time, valves, fluids and all the normal maintenance on my gs never takes more then an hr so I sacrificed on the indulgence of the orgasmic ktm twin powerplant.

theres no such thing as a perfect bike, all and I mean all will have shortcomings and in the end one must make a compromise, witch one you make is entirely up to your own riding criteria
  8. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mike

My only advice would be don't make any decision while you're upset. "I freaking love riding it." That's why we ride - for that feeling. Not to get from point A to point B. Otherwise we would all be riding Wee Stroms or KLR's, and driving Accords or Camry's.

My 2009 has been terrific, except for the fuel strips. The one in it now failed completely at around 250 miles, which means another day will be spent riding 180 miles each way to the dealer for replacement. I'd probably just ride without it, except I have the bike listed for sale. I just bought a new Road King. Always like RK's, decided I wasn't getting any younger, and wanted to try something completely different. So far I'm loving it. Logic (getting from point A to point B) had little to do with the decision. Neither did the faulty fuel strips I've had, although local dealer support will be nice.

Having said all that - I also like Wee Stroms. There's something about them that appeals to me. But I've put some miles on them, and would never say "I freaking love riding it." Same with KLR's.

Good luck. Take your time.
  9. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Beemers are the new italian bikes. YOu know a couple of years back you heard your friends tell you never to buy an italian bike because they have issues etc. Guys who owned an italian bike were in love with it and called caracter. Now times have changed, italian bikes have become reliable and bmw have gone the other way round. Not that they aren't reliable anymore, I mean look at how many BMW are out there, the lemons always come complaining on forums but the others keep riding them. If you like your bike keep it. Open your final drive and check, lube etc. Make it a regular maintenance, every 20k kms and you'll see it coming.

A bike should be a pleasure to ride, if you distrust yours than sell it, life really is too short to worry about your bike, we have enough other things to worry about anyway. As long as you have money to maintain it IF something happens than fine, if you don't have neither the time, nor the money then get another bike that you'll find reliable enough. Especially if you have a home to finanance, children and wife.

Eventhough my bikes gave me headache from time to time I love them so much that I keep them. My old 650GS thumper that everyone said was reliable etc gave me nothing but problems, stalled whilst cruising, wouldn't fire up immediatly and each time I gave it to the dealer to warranty that problem it came back the same. At the end of the warranty I was fed up and traded it in for another bike (8GS). Found it reliable enough some repairs started when the miles went up but that is the case with any bike.

If you're a good DIY guy than you can afford to keep a trouble some bike, if you're not than get something that a dealer can fix for you if a problem should appear.

As stated above, life's too short!
  10. psychohawk

psychohawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're obviously tempted by the GS, otherwise you wouldn't be on the GS forum.

OP: You can worry yourself or just deal with the unexpected when it arrives; if $1000 repair bills are going to worry you constantly, buy another bike; one that doesn't worry you.
  11. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
  12. IowaClass65

IowaClass65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is all a matter of perspective. While all forums attract the horror stories it is important to keep in mind that in most cases 95%+ of those machines do not experience that particular malfunction and their owners go blissfully on their way. The fact of the matter is that everyone who owns a machine will have repair costs. The question to ask is: Are these costs balanced by the enjoyment and utility you receive from the bike?
    I parked my Road King for a GS and it has been a revelation! Twice the power and half the weight has transformed the enjoyment I get from riding. I once again eagerly anticipate going for a ride- every day! Sure, I have read the horror stories about brake servos, FDs and other things, but I so enjoy the way the bike rides, I will roll the dice and move forward with a strong preventive maintenance program and just not worry about it. Ride more, worry less! Only you know what is the best for you. Good Luck!!!
  13. MassiveLee

MassiveLee Banned

Oddometer:
    Final drive and driveshafts are known possible time bombs. Considering the winter is long in many areas of this continent, it is the perfect time to give the bike some TLC. That includes removing and inspecting the final drive, removing the swingarms, and inspecting the driveshaft. Most likely it is a 2 hour job done on a cold Saturday evening when the mississ has a headache. Like many riders, I am lucky enough to have a heated garage attached to my house with a simple door between the garage and the basement. When there's nothing on TV, I cross the door ;-) Three bikes are awaiting.
  14. N-m

N-m Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer:
    Too Far from My Welder and BMW in South TN.
    Heroin, Porsche 911's and BMW GS's. It just takes a certain kind of person to make the relationship worthwhile sometimes. :fall
  15. Mikepotter86

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I really do love the bike, and you're right, no amount of economy, reliability, etc. will replace that feeling.
  16. Wotsisname

Wotsisname Banned

Oddometer:
    Tell us that again when you shell out another $1,000 on your "quirky" choice of steed!:deal
  17. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    IF...and big IF...I had a Bugatti Veyron and it broke down on the Pennsylvania Turnpike AND I wrote about it on Veyron.com AND got the following response from the BEST VEYRON mechanic in North America (who lives in my same home town) that he'd 'lend me a hand' getting it fixed...

Well...I'd consider my break down an UNFORTUNATE event and feel absolutely BLESSED with my home town mechanics offer of help.

Capish?:huh

Lift your eyes UP from your SHOES to the HORIZON...a better outlook can be found there. This too shall pass. :evil

Ride safely...on your newly repaired GS.:clap
  18. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far the GS has not been any more expensive than any other bike I've owned. Yes they are big dollars when they break, in reality they don't break that often. The easy miles in between are happy miles
  19. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been riding BMWs since 1971, the longest with any one model was the R100RS for 9 years and the K100RS for 14 years. None of the other dozen or so models have left me by the side of the road. I did plan ahead and carry a spare key antenna when BMW had three batches of them fail in a row and needed it at Wall, SD in a gas station when the bike would not start. I mentioned to my wife (who rides her own BMW about that long too) that I was concerned about a breakdown. She replied that I could just buy a pickup and a bike hauling trailer, both of which I was thinking I wanted anyway, load the bikes up and continue on the trip.
    I must say I was looking forward to a breakdown from then on.
    It's all what your viewpoint is...how you look at it.
    Someone said BMWs are fun...when they're running.
  20. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wise advice.

Well, I'd sell the Veyron, because I'd have more fun with about 30 ZLI Camaro's for that money. AFTER I attempted to verify the Veyron would actually go 250 mph. And assuming I and the Veyron both survived that attempt.