L. A. ADVenture Rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Mar 5, 2008.

1. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

Dayammmm....good for you.
    I guess I need to plan to come up and stage at your place for a good ride, eh?
  2. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're welcome anytime.
  3. browneye

Oddometer:
    Let me know of specific plans and I'll make arrangements to come up. Still want to do some exploring in central NV. Utah has so much to see as well, beautiful country.

If you haven't found this thread check it out. He rides out of St. George, covers a wide swath of countryside with his reports. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976 However I have a hunch he would have trouble keeping up with us. :evil
  4. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:

I wanna go ... will even try to keep up.
  5. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Chris - Looks like he does a lot of cool exploring in that part of the world. So much to see!

Todd - I'm sure you can keep up.
  6. browneye

Oddometer:

Yeah, Todd rides that GS like a dualsport. Oh man.

I thought Tim was joking when he mentioned last week doing a day run to Toroweap. Wow.
    We should pencil in a couple of possible extended weekends and make some route plans. I'm pretty open, lots of vacation time. Most of the guys will be gearing up and practicing for la-btov in Nov.

RR due from Spa, hwy 33? I wasn't sure what he meant.

There are lots of good routes on the Sierra western slope too. I keep saying I want to ride up to Mountain Home State Forest. Won't be too long before snow flies up there though.

2-stroke Show in GG yesterday was so-so. A few cool bikes, but a lot of dumpers, and the new venue is not nearly as nice as when it was at Cook's. It was hotter than hell as well.
  7. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tim, How was the weather this past weekend?
  8. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    I'll be one of those guys, 1st 2 Sundays of Nov will be staging from Adelanto and riding towards Red Mountain and there abouts.

Looks like me and Mrs. bigtodd are heading up to Big Bear this weekend and staying at a friend's place. I will most def be exploring some trails/roads on Sat afternoon and Sunday morning.

Maybe some some of you FF's up there? :ear
  9. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:

I'd be in for this too...... Road Triip !
  10. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:

Almost 300 miles on the K1200GT up Highway 33 to Reyes Creek (use to be called Scheideck) just off of Lockwood Valley Rd.

[​IMG]

The new owner took very good care of us. He's been trying to build the business back up after a couple of the past owners slacked off.. Let me tell you, I didn't need to eat the rest of the day :puke1 from being too full ! Food was good.

The ADV crew has a ride and camp to this place in December. A bit chilly at that time of year. We could meet some of the NorCal crew that started and still run ADVrider.com .......

Started to get warm inland so headed over to Tepesquet Canyon on the 166, to Foxen Canyon. Stopped in a couple of the winery's. Did not taste or buy anything though. :wink:

Came back over 154 into Santa Barbara. I wanted to check out Elings Park above the Marina area. I've been looking for places to fly my RC planes and gliders. Turns out the park was taken over by people training to fly these paragliders.

<noscript><meta HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" content="0;url=http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sfhanggliding.com/site_graphics/paragliding2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sfhanggliding.com/paragliding.html&h=286&w=417&sz=21&tbnid=3vD21OOg62Yh4M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=131&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dparagliding%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=paragliding&usg=__He2MDWYXCr8mNYlcZrqsij7_BGk%3D&docid=HvsaEJOxmDEOaM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sghhUJmpIuioiAKlvIG4Bg&sqi=2&ved=0CEcQ9QEwBw&gbv=1&sei=uQhhUMTsDOnuiQL-loHYBQ"><style><!-- body{display:none} --></style> </noscript>[​IMG]

Had a nice cold beverage on the beach then headed back home. Must of been hot in L.A. because there was a ton of traffic on the 101.

A lot of miles and a lot of fun!

<script>(function(){ google.listen=function(a,b,c){var d="on"+b;if(a.addEventListener)a.addEventListener(b,c,false);else if(a.attachEvent)a.attachEvent(d,c);else{var e=a[d];a[d]=function(){var g=e.apply(this,arguments),h=c.apply(this,arguments);return g==undefined?h:(h==undefined?g:h&&g)}}};google.unbind=function(a,b,c){google.unlisten(a,b,c)};google.unlisten=function(a,b,c){if(a.removeEventListener)a.removeEventListener(b,c,false);else a.detachEvent("on"+b,c)};;var f=307200,j=document.getElementById("il_fi"),l=417,m=286,n=decodeURIComponent('http%3A//t2.gstatic.com/images%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcQ0aarxuQmtx0VwRdhdM_twFmQpfDVI9tg8lwkdsc08lP0Xvhkc99Q2M4IkbQ'),o=new Image;o.onload=function(){if(!o.width||!l||!o.height||!m||Math.abs(o.height/o.width-m/l)>0.01)r("hotlink")};o.onerror=function(){r("badlink")};function r(a){s(n);google.sdl.log(a,"")}function t(a){var b="inner"+a,c="offset"+a;if(window)return window;else if(document.documentElement&&document.documentElement[c])return document.documentElement[c];return 0}function u(){if(!j)return;y();google.listen(window, "resize",function(){y()});o.src=decodeURIComponent('http%3A//www.sfhanggliding.com/site_graphics/paragliding2.jpg');document.getElementById("il_ic").style.visibility=""; A();if(document.readyState=="complete")B();else google.listen(window,"load",B)}function A(){var a=document.getElementById("ilat");if(a){var b=a.getElementsByTagName("button");if(b.length&&b[0].className.indexOf("esw")>=0){var c=b[0],d='Image from %1$s',e=document.getElementById("ilat_is"),g="";if(e)g=e.innerText?e.innerText:(e.textContent?e.textContent:e.innerHTML);var h=d.replace(/\%1\$s|\%s/,g);c.setAttribute("g:imgtitle",h);c.setAttribute("g:imgtbn",n);c.setAttribute("g:imgland", window.location.href);google.listen(c,"mouseover",function(){google.pw&&google.pw.shimmer&&google.pw.shimmer.finishAnimate(c)});var i=document.getElementById("il_ic");google.listen(i,"mouseover",function(k){google.pw&&google.pw.shimmer&&google.pw.shimmer.animate(k,c,i)});google.listen(i,"mouseout",function(k){google.pw&&google.pw.shimmer&&google.pw.shimmer.stopAnimate(k,c,i)})}}}function s(a){var b=new Image;b.onload=function(){y(this.width,this.height);j.src=a};b.src=a}function y(a,b){C(a||j.width|| l,b||j.height||m);var c=D(),d=document.getElementById("ilat"),e=d?d.offsetHeight:0;E(j.width+c.left+c.right,j.height+c.top+c.bottom+(e?e:0));F(j.width,l)}function C(a,b){var c=t("Width")-300-48,d=t("Height")-48,e=Math.sqrt(f/(a*b)),g=e<1?a*e:a,h=e<1?b*e:b,i=g,k=h;if(g>c||h>d){var v=c/g,w=d/h;if(v<w){k=v*h;i=c}else{i=w*g;k=d}}j.height=k;j.width=i;var x=document.getElementById("ilat");if(x)x.style.width=i+"px"}function D(){var a=8,b=8,c=8,d=8;if(j.width<100)b=30;j.style.paddingRight=b+"px";if(j.height< 14){d=30-j.height>>1;c=30-j.height-d}j.style.paddingTop=d+"px";j.style.paddingBottom=c+"px";return{top:d,left:a,bottom:c,right:b}}function F(a,b){var c=document.getElementById("lg");if(c){var d=Math.round(b*10/a),e=document.getElementById("sz").style;if(d>11){c.style.display="inline";e.display="none";var g=d>=20?Math.round(d/10):d/10;document.getElementById("lgf").innerHTML=g}else{c.style.display="none";e.display="inline"}}}function E(a,b){var c=document.getElementById("il_ic").style;c.marginTop= 0-b/2+"px";c.marginLeft=0-a/2+"px"}function B(){if(!false)return;var a=document.createElement("link");a.rel=false?"prerender":"prefetch";a.href=unescape('');a.id="lpu";var b=document.head||document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];b.appendChild(a)}google.sdl||(google.sdl={});google.sdl.log=function(a,b){google.x({id:"sil"},function(){google.log(a,["&source=",location.pathname.substring(1),b].join(""))})};google.sdl.toggle=function(){var a=document.getElementById("ei");a.className=a.className?"":"ex_dsp"};u(); })();</script>

<script>if(google.y)google.y.first=[];(function(){ var c,d,e=false;function f(a){var b={_sn:a?"FAILURE":"FALLBACK",_pu:c,_fu:d},h=google.ml(new Error("pml"),false,b,true);google.log(0,"",h)}function g(){if(!google.pml)f(true)}function i(a){window.setTimeout(function(){var b=document.createElement("script");b.src=a;document.getElementById("xjsd").appendChild(b)},0)}function j(){if(!e&&!google.pml){e= true;f();i(d,g)}}google.dljp=function(a,b){c=a;d=b;if(!google.xjsi){google.xjsu=a;i(c,j)}};google.dlj=i; })(); if(!google.xjs){google.dstr=[];google.rein=[];window._=window._||{};window._._DumpException=function(e){throw e};if(google.timers&&google.timers.load.t){google.timers.load.t.xjsls=new Date().getTime();}google.dljp('/xjs/_/js/il/il,cdos,pcc,csi/rt\x3dj/ver\x3dFD6PXSOwjzg.en_US./d\x3d1/sv\x3d1/rs\x3dAItRSTPxyvT4Vs9am5oaeSPutNONwUgK_w','/xjs/_/js/il/il,cdos,pcc,csi/rt\x3dj/ver\x3dFD6PXSOwjzg.en_US./d\x3d1/sv\x3d1/rs\x3dAItRSTPxyvT4Vs9am5oaeSPutNONwUgK_w');google.xjs=1;}google.pmc={14:{},83:{"bih":640,"biw":1268},24:{},38:{}};(function(){var r=(function(){google.y.first.push(function(){if(google.med){google.med('init');google.initHistory();google.med('history');}google.History&&google.History.initialize('/imgres?imgurl\x3dhttp://www.sfhanggliding.com/site_graphics/paragliding2.jpg\x26amp;imgrefurl\x3dhttp://www.sfhanggliding.com/paragliding.html\x26amp;h\x3d286\x26amp;w\x3d417\x26amp;sz\x3d21\x26amp;tbnid\x3d3vD21OOg62Yh4M:\x26amp;tbnh\x3d90\x26amp;tbnw\x3d131\x26amp;prev\x3d/search%3Fq%3Dparagliding%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du\x26amp;zoom\x3d1\x26amp;q\x3dparagliding\x26amp;usg\x3d__He2MDWYXCr8mNYlcZrqsij7_BGk\x3d\x26amp;docid\x3dHvsaEJOxmDEOaM\x26amp;hl\x3den\x26amp;sa\x3dX\x26amp;ei\x3dsghhUJmpIuioiAKlvIG4Bg\x26amp;sqi\x3d2\x26amp;ved\x3d0CEcQ9QEwBw\x26amp;dur\x3d331')});});r();var l=window.location.hash?window.location.href.substr(window.location.href.indexOf('#')):'#';if(l=='#'&&google.defre){google.defre=1;google.y.first.push(function(){if(google.j&&google.j.init){google.rein&&google.rein.push(r);}});}})();if(google.j&&google.j.en&&google.j.xi){window.setTimeout(google.j.xi</script>
    <script></script>
  11. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there any dual sport roads near Glendora Mountain Road? (GMR)? Anything up in the Angeles Crest? Hopefully a way to get there from glendora.
  12. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    The weather was great! Cool enough to be geared up and it stayed warm after dark. Not too many more days of that.

I've got a 4 day weekend this weekend. Heading out sometime on Thursday, just haven't decided where yet. Was pondering the sandy beach and senioritas in San Felipe.
  13. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    No
    Lots of really good stuff for mountain biking but nothing for anything with a motor in it
  14. Blueshark

Blueshark Coastal Castaway

Oddometer:
    Last small beach town N of LA, S of Pt Conception
    I was doing that route last Sunday but I could tell it was gonna be a bad karma ride. First a car I was passing in Ojai decided to make a no-signal left across my lane into a driveway - just managed to swerve around him with the hammer dropped. Then I ran into some guys at Ozena Ranger Stn on Harleys, one whom was recovering from a gravel crash out on Lockwood Valley Rd that destroyed his shifter. The second guy there had been passing a truck when THAT guy did a left turn in front of him, so he was rattled up too. By the time I got to Ventucopa, my right mirror had flown off the housing. I'm like - that's it, I'm turning around. Too much bad juju...just didn't feel right.

Usually I'm on the 33 and those roads almost every weekend. My canyon escape country.
  15. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:

You musta missed this guy crossing your path !

[​IMG]

Never a bad thing to listen to your Guardian Angel....

I actually took a peek at Ojai Hospital on the way up.. Usually I see bikes parked there later in the day, visiting the latest Highway 33 victim.

<script>(function(){ google.listen=function(a,b,c){var d="on"+b;if(a.addEventListener)a.addEventListener(b,c,false);else if(a.attachEvent)a.attachEvent(d,c);else{var e=a[d];a[d]=function(){var g=e.apply(this,arguments),h=c.apply(this,arguments);return g==undefined?h:(h==undefined?g:h&&g)}}};google.unbind=function(a,b,c){google.unlisten(a,b,c)};google.unlisten=function(a,b,c){if(a.removeEventListener)a.removeEventListener(b,c,false);else a.detachEvent("on"+b,c)};;var f=307200,j=document.getElementById("il_fi"),l=400,m=400,n=decodeURIComponent('http%3A//t3.gstatic.com/images%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcQjVY3g5vV8mcnHR9aa_fXGWV-t7Wb8YwoRRQys-BqXn8KhmAkEHuThYuhQ'),o=new Image;o.onload=function(){if(!o.width||!l||!o.height||!m||Math.abs(o.height/o.width-m/l)>0.01)r("hotlink")};o.onerror=function(){r("badlink")};function r(a){s(n);google.sdl.log(a,"")}function t(a){var b="inner"+a,c="offset"+a;if(window)return window;else if(document.documentElement&&document.documentElement[c])return document.documentElement[c];return 0}function u(){if(!j)return;y();google.listen(window, "resize",function(){y()});o.src=decodeURIComponent('http%3A//savetheblackcat.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/black_front1.jpg');document.getElementById("il_ic").style.visibility=""; A();if(document.readyState=="complete")B();else google.listen(window,"load",B)}function A(){var a=document.getElementById("ilat");if(a){var b=a.getElementsByTagName("button");if(b.length&&b[0].className.indexOf("esw")>=0){var c=b[0],d='Image from %1$s',e=document.getElementById("ilat_is"),g="";if(e)g=e.innerText?e.innerText:(e.textContent?e.textContent:e.innerHTML);var h=d.replace(/\%1\$s|\%s/,g);c.setAttribute("g:imgtitle",h);c.setAttribute("g:imgtbn",n);c.setAttribute("g:imgland", window.location.href);google.listen(c,"mouseover",function(){google.pw&&google.pw.shimmer&&google.pw.shimmer.finishAnimate(c)});var i=document.getElementById("il_ic");google.listen(i,"mouseover",function(k){google.pw&&google.pw.shimmer&&google.pw.shimmer.animate(k,c,i)});google.listen(i,"mouseout",function(k){google.pw&&google.pw.shimmer&&google.pw.shimmer.stopAnimate(k,c,i)})}}}function s(a){var b=new Image;b.onload=function(){y(this.width,this.height);j.src=a};b.src=a}function y(a,b){C(a||j.width|| l,b||j.height||m);var c=D(),d=document.getElementById("ilat"),e=d?d.offsetHeight:0;E(j.width+c.left+c.right,j.height+c.top+c.bottom+(e?e:0));F(j.width,l)}function C(a,b){var c=t("Width")-300-48,d=t("Height")-48,e=Math.sqrt(f/(a*b)),g=e<1?a*e:a,h=e<1?b*e:b,i=g,k=h;if(g>c||h>d){var v=c/g,w=d/h;if(v<w){k=v*h;i=c}else{i=w*g;k=d}}j.height=k;j.width=i;var x=document.getElementById("ilat");if(x)x.style.width=i+"px"}function D(){var a=8,b=8,c=8,d=8;if(j.width<100)b=30;j.style.paddingRight=b+"px";if(j.height< 14){d=30-j.height>>1;c=30-j.height-d}j.style.paddingTop=d+"px";j.style.paddingBottom=c+"px";return{top:d,left:a,bottom:c,right:b}}function F(a,b){var c=document.getElementById("lg");if(c){var d=Math.round(b*10/a),e=document.getElementById("sz").style;if(d>11){c.style.display="inline";e.display="none";var g=d>=20?Math.round(d/10):d/10;document.getElementById("lgf").innerHTML=g}else{c.style.display="none";e.display="inline"}}}function E(a,b){var c=document.getElementById("il_ic").style;c.marginTop= 0-b/2+"px";c.marginLeft=0-a/2+"px"}function B(){if(!false)return;var a=document.createElement("link");a.rel=false?"prerender":"prefetch";a.href=unescape('');a.id="lpu";var b=document.head||document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];b.appendChild(a)}google.sdl||(google.sdl={});google.sdl.log=function(a,b){google.x({id:"sil"},function(){google.log(a,["&source=",location.pathname.substring(1),b].join(""))})};google.sdl.toggle=function(){var a=document.getElementById("ei");a.className=a.className?"":"ex_dsp"};u(); })(); </script>
    <script src="http://www.google.com/xjs/_/js/il/il,cdos,pcc,csi/rt=j/ver=TIpBl1VSw3k.en_US./d=1/sv=1/rs=AItRSTPDpvkKWAHPVglH-Y-ammVV_rNtjw"></script>
    <script>if(google.y)google.y.first=[];(function(){ var c,d,e=false;function f(a){var b={_sn:a?"FAILURE":"FALLBACK",_pu:c,_fu:d},h=google.ml(new Error("pml"),false,b,true);google.log(0,"",h)}function g(){if(!google.pml)f(true)}function i(a){window.setTimeout(function(){var b=document.createElement("script");b.src=a;document.getElementById("xjsd").appendChild(b)},0)}function j(){if(!e&&!google.pml){e= true;f();i(d,g)}}google.dljp=function(a,b){c=a;d=b;if(!google.xjsi){google.xjsu=a;i(c,j)}};google.dlj=i; })(); if(!google.xjs){google.dstr=[];google.rein=[];window._=window._||{};window._._DumpException=function(e){throw e};if(google.timers&&google.timers.load.t){google.timers.load.t.xjsls=new Date().getTime();}google.dljp('/xjs/_/js/il/il,cdos,pcc,csi/rt\x3dj/ver\x3dTIpBl1VSw3k.en_US./d\x3d1/sv\x3d1/rs\x3dAItRSTPDpvkKWAHPVglH-Y-ammVV_rNtjw','/xjs/_/js/il/il,cdos,pcc,csi/rt\x3dj/ver\x3dTIpBl1VSw3k.en_US./d\x3d1/sv\x3d1/rs\x3dAItRSTPDpvkKWAHPVglH-Y-ammVV_rNtjw');google.xjs=1;}google.pmc={14:{},83:{"bih":640,"biw":1268},24:{},38:{}};(function(){var r=(function(){google.y.first.push(function(){if(google.med){google.med('init');google.initHistory();google.med('history');}google.History&&google.History.initialize('/imgres?imgurl\x3dhttp://savetheblackcat.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/black_front1.jpg\x26amp;imgrefurl\x3dhttp://savetheblackcat.wordpress.com/\x26amp;h\x3d400\x26amp;w\x3d400\x26amp;sz\x3d13\x26amp;tbnid\x3d8N2DIJ79KffF9M:\x26amp;tbnh\x3d99\x26amp;tbnw\x3d99\x26amp;prev\x3d/search%3Fq%3Dpic%2Bof%2Bblack%2Bcat%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du\x26amp;zoom\x3d1\x26amp;q\x3dpic+of+black+cat\x26amp;usg\x3d__sp_Q8JLOPr0dhwyl0_Ng0yFuUik\x3d\x26amp;docid\x3d3jfag_cSnONuRM\x26amp;hl\x3den\x26amp;sa\x3dX\x26amp;ei\x3d3X1iUIbuOIPsiwLny4CoAw\x26amp;ved\x3d0CEgQ9QEwDQ\x26amp;dur\x3d160')});});r();var l=window.location.hash?window.location.href.substr(window.location.href.indexOf('#')):'#';if(l=='#'&&google.defre){google.defre=1;google.y.first.push(function(){if(google.j&&google.j.init){google.rein&&google.rein.push(r);}});}})();if(google.j&&google.j.en&&google.j.xi){window.setTimeout(google.j.xi,0);}</script>
    <script></script>
  16. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will keep that in mind for my upcoming weekend loop of Carrizo Plain. Taking NSFW and your advice.. coming in from Frazier Park -> Soda Lake Road -> 7 miles -> 58
    Hope it get cooler.

17. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will keep that in mind for my upcoming weekend loop of Carrizo Plain. Taking NSFW and your advice.. coming in from Frazier Park -> Soda Lake Road -> 7 miles -> 58
    Hope it gets cooler.

:lurk :ricky Which way on 58?
  18. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    58 E and find some place to eat, refuel and slab it home (>400 miles).
  19. FZcruzer

FZcruzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

Was going to start a new thread but thought this might work in here, I am meeting up with a group of people that I have been riding street with for years in SLO the 26-28 OCT. We meet up, ride the area but most of the time relax at one of the brewery's in the area,

Anyway, normally I take the street bike and ride 33 to the 58 out there but would like to take the 500 exc this year. I have been looking at maps and looks like I could ride 33 then take some dirt roads through the Las Padres National Forest.

Do you know if some of the main looking roads such as Sierra Madre Rd (32s13), Cable Corral Rd, Agua Escondido Rd (30502) and Avenales Ranch Rd. are open.

If you have other route ideas that would be great, if anybody wants to come along that is great too, big bike friendly lol.

Gas is going to be an issue for me and I do not want to be way out on the route and find a road that is closed.

Thanks for your help.
  20. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    chu, have a good one and enjoy the 800.

the 33 is always a treat.

not sure if there's a lot of dirt road or trails along the 33. that goes through to another major road. i haven't saw anyone posted a RR. before the big fire near cuyama, we were able to ride across all the way to the 101.

usfs should be able to give you the latest condition.

have fun out there.

p.s.

every year on january, we do the carrizo-pozo ride. the next one, thinking of 3 days of riding, lots of areas to see and enjoy.