Kropotkin's 2007 Laguna Seca MotoGP Race Report

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Kropotkin, Jul 23, 2007.

1. kluts

kluts The Lost Tourguide

Oddometer:
    To answer an earlier question, Dunlop, Bridgestone and Michelin had been in a snakepit fight over tires for years. Some might even recall Conti, Metzeler, and Pirelli joining the racing fight sometime in the 60's too, but that's not for me, but for another foamer to report.

The FIM brought up the subject of tire homologation rules and a "single tire brand/standard compounds for all" suggestion as far back as the 80's. I recall Schwantz, Lawson, Rainey, Gardner, and others like Criville all suffering or gaining at the hand of the dominant tire of the year. Seems to me from the 80's on, Michelin was a king for a year, and Dunlop would swipe it back, and everybody would complain the top teams got better compounds than others. Now Dunlop is no longer a factor in GP but Bridgestone is, but aren't the complaints pretty much the same?

In the 90's when tires got even wider and stickier the problem worsened. Remember when Doohan dominated just about everything? Tires were just as much moto-talk fodder as the Repsol bike was. Some things never change....

Tires or no, Stoner's consistent track times were nothing short of amazing and I could see it every time he came around turns 10 and 11. He OWNED Laguna on Sunday. Thanks again, Krop .... for someone who was in the paddock for 3 days and couldn't quite see/hear all of it, this report is golden.
  2. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    I agree. I'm starting to tape the race, read the K's report and watch the race again. It's like having an insider sitting next to you telling you all the ins and outs and what's really going on, on and off the track. :thumb
  3. downhillfromhere

downhillfromhere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I'm doing!
    Great insight from Mr K. Great to see an Australian 1-2 and to see Casey break the Pole position = not winning hoodoo.
    I don't want to see the Doohan like domination of moto gp by Casey, as I believe its bad for any sport to have a devastating dominance by one rider.
  4. RunningBare

RunningBare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think it's feasible or even desirable as there are so many variable eg. chassis,wheels. power, engine configuration. Might as well have everyone on the same bike,nonsense
  5. Kropotkin

Kropotkin Big Girl's Blouse Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's kropotkin@gmail.com, actually. But I promise faithfully to spend any donations on beer (well, maybe red wine, if that's okay with everyone) :D

Thanks for the kudos everyone, I'm just glad you all enjoyed it!
  6. TTTom

TTTom some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    I was working at 10.1, the cornerworkers position directly underneath the TV camera at turn 10. Stoner rode like he was on rails, every lap hitting the same brake and turn points. Always in control, never out of shape.

Other amazing things I saw... Rossi showing Melandri his front tire, all the way through 9, 10 and 11. Ultimate confidence and skill, NOBODY else rides that close or puts on that much pressure. And Melandri passing Pedrosa on the inside of turn 10, an unbelievable place to pass. He turned in early and just carried higher corner speed through the apex.