Garmin 60C display

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jeffva, Jul 24, 2004.

1. jeffva

jeffva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there anyone out there using one of the new Garmin 60C's that can give me some feedback on the display this unit has? I was checking one out in the store the other day and the display seemed pretty dark unless the back-lighting was turned on? Garmin has put a dark film on the glass (I guess to help with sun glare) and thought this made it harder to view dispaly. If you're using this unit are you plugging into accessory socket (with back-lighting) or have you found it to be OK to view without the back-light?
  2. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    The screen's a TFT- just like the 276C has- and when you take it out into the sun, it actually uses the sunlight to illuminate the screen. It's hard to explain- but the screen will be quite readable in most direct light situations. I think you'll find that it's totally functional in the sun. :thumb You might want to check out the new "Quest" too- it's due in just a couple of weeks.
  3. jeffva

jeffva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What if the sun is not out....cloudy day etc? I'm just curious since it looked so dark in store? Are you riding with one? if so, have you found the screen size to be suitable?
  4. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    It takes any available light and illuminates the screen... it's an effect that you have to see to really understand. You'll be able to see the screen detail- the only two things that kept me from going with the 60C was the size of that screen and the internal memory. You need all of that memory to cover a reasonable area- and then if you're on a long trip- you have to bring a laptop to change the stored maps. The others allow you to load the maps you need onto data cards and bring them along- just change to the proper data card as the trip progresses. The 60C is great for local use and for limited trips- but for an excursion it would not be a great choice. I have terrible eyes- and the 276C has the biggest screen out there- so I went with that one. Don't worry about being able to see the graphics on the screen- but worry about the size of the data that you're looking at- you gotta be able to read it on the fly. Bigger the better, IMHO.
  5. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    i gave it a pretty serious looking over a few weeks ago.
    the color in daylight is great.
    in dim situations i would have needed backlighting.
    i still like it alot and will probably get my own.i sell them where i work.
    i think i will be pushing power cords so backlight can be used more.
  6. cbmwgs

cbmwgs Retired Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 76C unit that I have been using for a couple of months. It has the small screen like the 60C but it also has 115.5mb internal memory. The unit is waterproof and it is very easy to read in sunlight. After dark, I use the back light.

I recommend the 76C
  7. jeffva

jeffva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming that the "routing" software takes up more space. I was using a Etrex vista with "roads & recreation" and topo software and could put a week trip on there.....(roads and topo info). I can see where the extra memory would be nice, but like the keypad layout on the 60c over the 76c. If I hit the lottery I would definatly be buying one of the 276c's. Having the flexibility to catty the unit hiking and on a mountainbike is also a + for me.