The 1988-2008 Husaberg Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by brucifer, Nov 27, 2010.

1. yellowbronco

yellowbronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's see here, you're looking at a 14 year old bike with known e-start issues and that's also hard to kick start. If it was me, I go and look at the bike, try half-heartedly to start it and, when I fail, I'd throw my arms in the air and offer $600. When you get the thing home and running, it'll give you thousands of dollars worth in grins.

Here's the starting drill I've used on thumpers all the way back to my 1987 Husqvarna 510 (which is the granddady to the '98 you're looking at). Turn on the gas and pull in the decompressor. Kick the engine through 10 times with the throttle closed. Turn on the choke and slowly kick the lever through until it comes to a sudden stop against the compression of the engine. This is called "finding top dead center". Pull in the decompressor and kick the lever another inch or so. Release the decompressor, bring the lever all the way to the top and kick like your life depends on it. It should start. If it doesn't, kick it a few times with decompressor in, find top dead center again, go just past with the lever, and give the kicker another big boot. If it still doesn't start, it might be flooded so you'll want to turn off the choke, pull in the decompressor, kick 10 times and start all over again. If it still doesn't start, you've got something else wrong. Like was said earlier, could be valve adjustment or stator.

My '97 FC600 wouldn't start with the stock Delorto carb. I tried a Delorto from a '95 FE501 and it would start but it was very difficult. I installed an Edelbrock pumper carb and the starting did not improve but it ran much better once it was going. Then I installed a Keihin FCR carb. The starting still didn't improve but it ran AWESOME once it was going. There's a procedure for testing the stator. I can't remember what it is but you can find it on the UHE websight. My stator was suspect so I swapped to the stator from the 501. Now it'll start so easily that I can get her going with my arm!

Incidentally, with my starting procedure, I've never found the auto decompressors to be of any use. I've removed the one from the 600. However, on my 501, I suffered from a broken decompressor lever for a while. This caused me to spend a little time getting the auto decompressor adjusted properly. The 501 became quite easy to start after that, despite still having the Delorto carb.
  2. yellowbronco

yellowbronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, I just re-read your post and noticed the street title! That's worth it's weight in gold!!! GO GET IT! ESPECIALLY FOR $1000. Most guys with CA street-titled dirt bikes are asking an extra grand for them because of that alone.

There are several great sources of parts. The two that immediately come to mind are Motoxotica (I think they're in Vacaville or thereabouts) and Bozarth's Offroad in Portland. Taffmeister on the husaberg.org websight has a lot of parts for the old bikes as well.
  3. porschepatrick912

porschepatrick912 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the responses especially about how to kick start the beast. I am somewhat skeptical about making the purchase though... this is pretty much a straight up race bike correct? Does anyone know what the service intervals are for the valves and oil change? Is the Valve adjustment just a simple screw type adjuster or shims? So this bike has been ridden on the street a good amount form what it sounds like. How long lasting should the motor be?
  4. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Due to the 2 ring piston and loose clearances they contaminate oil quickly. You'll use alot of clutch too, easier than the trhottle to control the drive. Oil change is at +/- 5 hrs

After I fitted new valve seat real early on, its hardly ever neede a valve adjustment. Screw adjusters. Using the 1/6 - 1/8 turn method its a 10 min job.

Be a fun project, but needs patience. Still as fast as most things out there, but it is a race bike, and even with the balancer on the estart motor, they have some vibes.

Lots of street use may cause gearbox issues if no cush hub. They do have a tough gearbox and clutch though. Changes sweetly too.

A good clean tidy one might be worth something in years to come too. And the 98 had most of the bugs out. Only real issues are SEM stators and roller followers need replacing from time to time. Later followers can be fitted and problem solved too.

Plasitcs are getting hard to get, especially the fluro ones, which fade a age quickly, even in the dark.

Steve
  5. timolgra1

timolgra1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After around 6 years of owning Husabergs, it's still the only bike I get excited just thinking about!

Started with the 450 and loved it.....whether it loves me is often another matter:D
    [​IMG]

Checkout the front fender:wink:
    [​IMG]

Misery!
    [​IMG]

So, after a few years the old 450 had taking a bit of punishment and I found an almost new 550.....let's see if that's any better:deal
    [​IMG]

It's an awsome bike, that's for sure:clap
    [​IMG]

I had a slight er...misjudgement here and remembered Husabergs don't like being upside down in the middle of nowhere as the oil drains into the airbox and chokes the carb.
    Flushed the carb by pouring petrol through the intake and eventually it started with no harm done, despite clouds of smoke!!:lol3
    [​IMG]
    shrubitup likes this.
  6. GESII

GESII Gerry with a G

Oddometer:
    Between nowhere and somewhere - Hyndman, PA
    I finished converting this last year... Used OEM parts to convert to DS. Also found a aux. under saddle fuel tank and had James Renazco build a saddle for it. Keeping the thread alive!

[​IMG]
    shrubitup likes this.
  7. modernbeat

modernbeat Jason McDaniel

Oddometer:
    I've got a 2003 FE 650e. I understand that the wheels were the same as all the later 'Bergs. Is that right? Or are they compatible up to 2008? Or what?
  8. endurists

endurists Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are those Bergs (FE450, 550, 650) comparable to KTM RFS or more to LC4,? Mainly weight and maintenance!
  9. Mazdabater

Mazdabater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, just dropping in to say hi. My XR440 let me down on sunday for the last time, come tuesday I rode away from the shop on an 08 FE650E with 3000k's on it. What a bike, I'm in love. One question for you guys, been eyeing off the fan kit and tried doing a search but the search on this site sucks. Are they worth getting, i tend to do a fair bit of slow work when I go with my mates 4wd and am worried about the lack of airflow.
  10. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
  11. wallache

wallache Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The KTM fan kit is great...no more boil overs and easy to install. But the kit comes with a 85 degC temp switch and my fan would run so much the battery would die. I replaced it with a 100 degC from an '84 BMW and no more problems. More temp switch info:
    http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8106&start=15
  12. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    The RFS bikes. KTM, from what I understand, used the 'berg engine to design the RFS engine. I've also heard that an RFS head gasket will actually interchange with the earlier 'berg engine.
  13. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Ok,,ill pimp the thread,and post a daylight shot of the 08.:lol3

[​IMG]
    shrubitup likes this.
  14. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    I have an '05 650 which boiled over a few times on slower rides and while waiting for other riders. I went ahead and bought the fan kit, which doesn't just bolt onto the '05 like the '06 and up. Before I installed it though, I went down 1 tooth on the FS and put in a 1.8lb rad cap and have had no trouble since, even on a recent super slow ride with tons of waiting/engine idleing.
  15. rickcj7

rickcj7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought this!!! Looks better in person.
    Went from a DR650 to the WR250R
    The WRR was better than the DR650 at everything but power.
    Hopefully the FE450 will be as good with the power I want.
    I'll know as soon as the wether breaks.
  16. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Did the weather break,yet?:ear
  17. rickcj7

rickcj7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still a little cold here, maybe by the end of March.
  18. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

Thats no excuse!!!!:lol3
    winter can be fun too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Gen_BadShag

Gen_BadShag n00b

Oddometer:

Do I understand correctly; You run a 182 Main?
    What is your altitude?

What would you guys suggest as main jet for a 550 @ 6000 feet (stock exhaust etc)?
  20. scabmachine

scabmachine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i am in desperate need of ignition parts for my 2001 fe650 ,the weather is great in so call & would love to ride my berg ..i need a stator & coil ,can be from any electric start model ..
    please let me know