Munich to Italy

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by Jick Magger, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Jick Magger

Jick Magger Exile on Main Street

Oddometer:
    Okanagan Valley BC, Canada/Scottsdale, Arizona
    I had this posted over in the regional section and have some good advice but realized this is where there is more action.We have a trip set up for early September that was originally conceived as a ride through Italy.

I won't bore you with the details but things changed and the ride will now originate and end in Munich. The bikes will be picked up in Munich and we will have between 12 and 14 riding days. So the question for all you European lads with experience is "what are our some options given that we still want to cover as much of Italy as possible but not at the expense of flying down the Autostrada." Great riding, scenery, food and wine and some decent accommodation is what we seek. I look forward to hearing your input.
    Jick
  2. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Jick Magger

Oddometer:
  4. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glitch tends to focus on the Alps - almost to the extent of ignoring the rest of Europe.

And for this, I applaud him - I share the same disease :evil

That being said - a bit more info as to what you're looking to do/see (great roads and scenery be damned*, cities & museums, ???) would be of great help. That being said...

Assuming that you're more into general tourist stuff and want to focus on Italy, I'd recommend a loop that takes you through Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and into Italy and then back through Austria to Munich.

Waypoints look something like this:
    Munich
    Garmisch-Partenkirchen
    Vaduz
    Chur
    Bellinzona
    Milan
    Genoa
    Pisa
    Florence
    Venice
    Innsbruck
    Munich

This is a bare skeleton. depending on what you want to do/see (see above) I'd be happy to flesh it out. Two weeks gives you a reasonable time to poke into a smaller area in detail (:clap) or do what you don't want to do - cruise past at warp speed on the Autostradae (:cry)

* The problem here is that the scenery along the best roads is absolutely jaw-dropping - makes it really hard to choose :wink:

Another great recent RR here.
  5. Jick Magger

Oddometer:
    Thanks MJ this seems like a good rough outline. I appreciate your assistance. I think with all the fantastic riding through the mountains the furthest south we will probably get is Montelcino. We always have the option of jumping on and off the A1 to make some time if the guys have something they must see.

I think we will hole up in the Dolomites for a couple of nights coming and going and ride some passes and then continue on.

From the info gathered here we can pic a few spots and build the ride around that. Museums, tours would make sense in places like Florence etc. Some places we would stay a couple of nights while most would be overnight stops. We want to have a fluid easy going pace where we don't get too structured. I hope that idea works as we will be limited to pre booking accommodation. Not booking ahead and having a laissez-faire attitude has bitten me in the ass before. Just the way I roll....:rofl
  6. mhpr262

mhpr262 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you stay in the Dolomites make sure you don't miss the Passo Pordoi. Absolutely spectacular. the Pordoi, the Passo Giovo (Jaufenpass in german) and the Großglockner Hochalpenstraße are the best roads I have ever ridden (the Großglockner costs 24€ per motorcycle toll, however, as of two weeks ago :huh)

For the first two days I would recommend:

1. From München past the Kochelsee/Walchensee through Sölden to the Timmelsjoch (passo del Rombo).

2. At the end of the Timmelsjoch you can continue straight on over the Jaufenpass (perhaps the most fun of all of them ,west to east only though) and spend the night in Sterzing or turn south to Meran to spend the night there. Meran might be a better option if you don't start early.

3. From Meran (or Sterzing) ride to Welschnofen and from there through Canazei and Arabba over the Pordoi to Cortina d'Ampezzo.

alternatively you could go to Zell am See, then do the Großglockner and the Pordoi and do the Jaufenpass and Timmelsjoch on your way back. I'd really try to cram in all three (G, P and J), they are spectacular.

Many years ago I spent a week in Giulianova on the Adriatic (with my econobox only though) but there were some pretty spectacular road in the hinterland west of Giulianova.
  7. ttr

ttr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Jick,

I usually drive in central Italy as I live in Rome. Here nearby you can visit the region, Toscana, Umbria, Abruzzo. To have an idea you can check my blog:

http://francescomartini2010.wordpress.com/

Some articles have a fast english translation, in the categories column you find the regions where I've been driving.

Contact me for any question

F
  8. Jick Magger

Oddometer:
    mhpr262
    Fantastic information. It sounds very exciting indeed. I will have a look at this on the map. :thumb
  9. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is that Pete, I want to be there! :lol3

Paul
  10. mhpr262

mhpr262 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad I could help.

Some things I have forgotten:

1. The toll booth of the Großglockner is on the northern end. If you approach from the south you can ride it all day long for free ... as long as you turn back again :lol3

2. It is a good idea to do the passes really early in the morning. It is holiday season when you do the trip so expect lots of RVs, buses and pensioners when you are late ...

3. You can see most of the places I talked about in my ride reports in my sig line (Dolomites/ 3 days). Sorry I sound like a whiny little bitch in my Dolomites report, I didn't realize at the time :lol3

4. On-board videos of pretty much any pass in the Alps can be found on youtube, just search for "pordoi motorcycle" and the like.
  11. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Col de la Croix de Coeur, a little gravel pass between Verbier and La Tsoumaz in the Great St. Bernard/ Martigny area.
    One of LOADS of those kind of roads and pockets around there.

Turn around from the previous pic and this is what you get...the Roof of Europe, Mont Blanc/ Grandes Jorasses :clap Verbier and Grand St. Bernard at your feet.

[​IMG]
  12. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    ??
    100m short of the lefthander into the toll booth SOUTHERN end/ Heiligenblut in 2001 (prices still in Austrian Schilling)
    [​IMG]

and 2010

[​IMG]

It's permanently closed now?
  13. mhpr262

mhpr262 Long timer

Oddometer:
    WTF I didn't see that when I rode the Großglockner ... I arrived at the southern end and there was nothing in sight resembling a toll booth, and I have never seen a pass with TWO of them :huh

Therefore I strongly suspect you are right and there are indeed two toll booths. Great, now a guy from Australia has to tell me about something barely 200km from my home, only on advrider :rofl
  14. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

:freaky
    Pretty much impossible to miss, the toll station has multiple booth and covers the actual road like a 3-bay car-wash.
    1.45 in this 2011 video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MHJPTDpGII

Quite a few passes and roads with toll stations either end...i.e.Hinterriss/ Eng, Grosser Ahornboden, which is within 100km from Muenchen...or the Nockalm, another Grossglockner-AG road. Mostly smaller passes, though.
  15. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps you were referring to the Timmels Jock?? Many ride up the south side from Italy then turn around at the toll booth.

Paul
  16. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    You can cover a lot of ground in 14 days, but even that will seem too short when it is time to come home.

For the Southern end in N Central Italy, see my ride report in the link in my signature line below.

Been said in other threads, but for planning figure 250 km for day after day riding in the mountains. Easy to do more many days, but plan too ambitious, and many days you may find yourself just traveling to get to a destination and missing the fun stuff.

I like Michelin's regional maps the best, get the 1:200,000 or 1-300,000 scale as much as you can. They highlight scenic roads, and most are great. Many smaller lesser traveled stuff too that return riders like me and MJ seek. Don't be afraid to just wander.
  17. rosmoe

rosmoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out Beach's Motorcycle Adventures, follow his Classic Alps Tour with a few extra days around Lake Garda.
  18. Ali in Austria

Ali in Austria Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ramsau Am Dachstein, Austria, Motorcycle Heaven
    I thing you may be right. The GG has had Tolls since it was built.