Toad On The Road

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MoToad, Jul 19, 2012.

1. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And so it begins. As of today, a homeless person. Albeit much more fortunate than a true homeless person but the feeling is there. The long, nerve wracking four year divorce battle is over, the apartment is empty,
    [​IMG]
    everything in it being sold, and the truck is gone. My building tools (I'm a builder) and machinery in storage.
    The new steed awaits.
    [​IMG]
    The plan is pretty simple. Travel for a year. Prolly just North America for me. We'll see. First to the interior of BC to land at my friend Jim's annual event Bubba's Borscht, Burn and BBQ.
    [​IMG]
    Then north to Prince Rupert for a little cruise up to Haines. Back on the road to Anchorage, Fairbanks, Chicken and back to O Canada. Where I will head east on all the most northerly routes I can find. Drop down into southern Ontario to see some long lost relatives and friends. Then back up, Northern Quebec, Trans Lab, Newfy and her eastern cousins. By then I'll prolly be feelin the chill so I'll begin my Snowbird routine of dropping down the eastern US coast. Fla., Texas Coast, Arizona, New Mex., and S. Cali all will be lookin good for the chilly months. And, who knows, if I meet the right people, wise in the ways of Mexican travel who speak Spanish and am invited along, I may just join them. Come late spring I will hopefully be able to ride up the Rockies thru Colorado, Idaho and the like to get back to the Kootenay region to find that perfect little acre to buy and build my new home. It's a vague plan but it's all I got.
  2. Redhed

Redhed Lost on the Island

Oddometer:
    Hey Doug
    I like that pic of you and your new ride. As you know, I have been on the road for a bit too. Had a bit of an eye-opener outside of Bella Coola with Mr. Griz, so be careful with your camping. I am going to attempt a stealth visit for Sturgis North, outside of Vernon. I will let you know what kind of reception non- Hog riders get. Keep in touch, and perhaps when you have done your Northern loop I will have found a good Spanish language immersion skool.... Vaya con Dios mi amigo..:clap:clap
  3. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some guys would sit in the corner & feel sorry for themselves.

Glad you are going to get out & about. Who knows you might find a reason to add a sidecar. Dogs are faithful & never selfish.......except my mini Dashound. Geeees!

If you get into NM let me know.
  4. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the trip!

The one pic - Kootney or Arrow Lakes by chance?

If you are down Houston way drop me a line - We're expats & I just got an NTX myself and can provide tools and if needed a ride to MPH
  5. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave. you and Cliffnotes should get together to compare notes on kissing Grizz.:rofl I'll contact you when I get closer to Bubbas'
  6. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What can I say about today. Sort of a total washout. God, I hate landloards! I'm cleanin, tryin to get outta there and he's goin "You missed a spot". Just gimmee my deposit dammit! So it turns out to be well after two in the afternoon before I hit the trail. So, I shoot abunch of vid riding thru the back twisties leavng town on my new drift camera and now I'm lookin at them and they're all hooped. All jerky and pixelating and the like. I try another shot in the room (I'm in a hotel now) and it turns out the same. I popped the memory card and reinserted it and formatted and noww it's running fine Doh! So, no pics tonight. Fresh start tomorrow and maybe, just maybe I can get some distance.
    Oh ya, the bike? Waaay overloaded but I gotta say, this young Italian big breasted (have you seen the headlights on her?) whore (only because she's costing me a lot of money) just wants to haul ass!:evil
  7. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep Arrow lake.
  8. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi Toadride.

All the best on your forthcoming adventure and new life in front of you.

I have a liking for Guzzis myself, in particular the Stelvio, so looking forward to seeing how you both get on and how she handles the big ride.

Subscribed

Ride safe

Cheers
    Potski :freaky
  9. arizonagirl

arizonagirl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i'm so sorry , but 1923turkish hack team will be attack this site . I complained to the you
  10. MotoLara

MotoLara ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer:
    I'm in! looking forward to following you along Mr. Toadride :D

If you eve find yourself near Vancouver Island let me know. It'd be great to share stories over a drink :freaky
    Cheers,
    Alberto
  11. Eclecticmale

Eclecticmale Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Toad, please enjoy your trip. By the way...very nice bike!!!
  12. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Potski said: I have a liking for Guzzis myself, in particular the Stelvio, so looking forward to seeing how you both get on and how she handles the big ride.
    I'll get back to talking about her soon enough.

Betitolara said: I'm in! looking forward to following you along Mr. Toadride
    Sorry I missed you both at the Six Mile that time. Your ride was epic and totally enjoyable.

But now, time to catch up.
    My slo start finally got me on the ferry, sheepishly surrounded by thundering hogs.
    [​IMG]
    Landing in Horseshoe Bay had me being chased by them halfway to Whistler. But their absurd loudness is just only that and my young gal just walked away from them.
    Pushed on past Whistler because I was really trying to make some time but stopped for a bite in Pemberbush and thought I call my old friend and roomate Jeff to say hi and by. Turns out he was just about to leave for his cottage on Loon Lake and I got invited along. Bout a three hour tour so I just took my time rambling up the Duffy Lake to Lillooet and beyond. Took a pic at the same spot I took one of my new Bandit a good six years ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyhoo, if your wondering what happened to me, it was Jeff's fault. Completely off the grid, his cottage, not without creature comforts but mosdef a little piece of heaven.
    [​IMG]
    Lost there for two days and lovin it. Here's my good bud Jeff
    [​IMG]

Getting out of there Sunday afternoon I headed up the road towards Green Lake to take the scenic route east from there. But Zeus had other plans. As I drove towards Green Lake, the ugliest, blackest cloud mass I believe I have ever seen was slowly working its way towards me. And the big guy was even startin to throw thunderbolts at me. Right on the very edge of all Hell was Quasimodo's place. Well, you know. Sanctuary. In the form of the Little Horse Resort. Complete with rustic cabins at $70.
    [​IMG]
    And as the deluge began 10 minutes later, I was happy to pay.
    And the little horse? He's there.
    [​IMG]
    Now I don't know who won that battle that night but it was a rip snorter. And what a deluge. Went on and on thru the night. Even knocked out the power for most of the night. Which is also why I couldn't communicate. Couldn't even get all my devices charged back up.
    Prepared for the worst the next day and fully decked out in the rain attire I headed out for Kamloops. Dark clouds but it didn't come down. So now I'm holed up in a fleabag with Wifi and am bringin all systems back online, Capn. The sun's gonna break tomorrow. I just know it and they said so, dammit!
    I will be headed up and around on Paul Lake road and then intend to ride around Sushawp lake because I heard it on good authority here that it's a great ride.
    From there I'll be working my way to Revelstoke and then down towards Nakusp looking for good camping along the way. This is the area I hope to come back to next year and find that perfect acre of land (on the lake?) to rebuild on. I'll have my eyes open on this leg. Plenty of time till Friday and BUBBA'S!
    [​IMG]
    Ya Baby!!!
  13. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bad or no wifi has kept me off the either these last few days but here on Kootenay Lake I've got the fastest yet. So. to catch up.
    Taking a jaunt over Paul Lake Rd. north of Kamloops I was able to hit some dirt and feel out the beast a little more. Admittedly it was a good gravel road and I found the Guzzi's handling rock steady. 600 plus pounds may just have some advantage. Greatest fear being how do I right this beast if and when she goes over? Something I attempt to practice with help at Bubba's.
    Paul Lake was a beautiful short hop opening up to the valley below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then it was on to Revelstoke on the TCH. Gotta love this high speed cruising in total comfort. Big cushy seat gives me no grief at all and the windshield works the way it should. Plus with the weight, crosswinds barely move her.
    I've been chasing the tail end of this storm and because of its slow movements, keep almost running into it. The local weather satellite photos show it as looking like a Typhoon covering a big portion of BC. It might not have the same winds but I'm sure it matched the moisture levels. Thankfully it is moving on towards Alberta.
    Revelstoke turned out to be a pretty town with majestic peaks close by and a beautiful river running thru. Too bad about the damn trains rolling by thru the night.
    [​IMG]
    Sun came out the next morning as I headed south on 23 the the ferry on Upper Arrow lakes. The colour of the water in these lakes has to make them the jewels of the Kootenays.
    [​IMG]
    Any wonder that this is the area I want to end up in when this is over?
    [​IMG]

The ride down and past Nakusp has some of the best riding roads in BC, imho. Unfortunately, my mind was pulled to the increasing bad running of my new bike. The farther I went, the more the vibration would increase and the power would diminish. Every time I stopped. It would seem to start out ok and then get worse. Idle was down from 1300 to 1100 but it wasn't stalling or anything. This was all happening on a full tank of fuel from Revelstoke. Even got the Chevron super duper stuff. It got to a point that I took this motel room outside of Nelson so I could get some internet access. Immediately went onto Guzzitech.com for some answers and called on my friend Jim (Bubba). He's a fairly new owner of a Norge and is wise in the way of the world. Best answers, actually, came from him. 1. check for tank vacuum. Bike was sitting for an hour now and I had removed the plugs to find both left and right with normal burning signs. The right was maybe a little more leaner but not much. With over an hour down, I did pop the filler cap to hear a small amout of hiss. As I had had the tank jaccked up to find the damn hidden heated grip wires so I could install them, I may have pinched the vent hoses. I was very careful lowering it back down but, who knows. One thing I remember whilst looking for the extremely well hidden grip wires was that I was able to look thru a space in the frame and actually discover the bastiges but I had to reef the vent hoses aside to look. I now checked those and did indeed see one squeezed between the frame and tank. Freed it up but have not yet tested the bike. 2. Bubba mentioned the recess where the tank cap is mounted actually holds water around its edge and, in the rain I noticed this puddle there. He said a previous KTM was running like poo because of water and a water dispersion additive fixed it right up. So it will be off to Lordco for me this morning. And if it doesn't get any better, Jim said there is a new KTM outlet in Nelson that may be able to help. I will also head for Bubba's a day early and strip her down (AGAIN!) to make it wasn't my bad. No, really. I am lovin this bike. Just haven't done so much wrenching on a new bike in a while.
    I said to Jim; "you know the chase scene in Bullett? This bike sounds remarkaby like the GT when doing accelerated hiway shifts at 6 grand. Just no double shifting here." He said," I know I said that very thing." Lol.
  14. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hola Toad:wave I know what you mean about riding a whore, I got my Big Mexican Whore, and riding whores sure is fun:rofl I must say you sure have a pretty one to mess with:evil

Been needing some good quality entertainment while I'm on 'break' and to answer your question I'll be removing that tire iron in my leg even if I have to go back down to VZ to get it done:deal

Have a great ride man, that Nakusup-Rogers-Revel, area is some of the finest riding in the Lands to the Near North:clap:clap:clap Wish I was there riding with you:cry

Now let's hear some more stories:lurk
  15. Redhed

Redhed Lost on the Island

Oddometer:
    Hey Toad
    On Blondie, I had similar stalling issues last week. Initially I thought it was bad fuel too. When I opened the gas tank there was a huge pressure differential, which I suspect was caused by riding through the Fraser Canyon where it was 38 degrees.
    Our Kelowna friends put her on the 'puter and while the stalling was documented, no solution was found. Fresh gas and cooler weather seems to have fixed that issue. The technician also checked the vent hose on Blondie as a precaution, so you are on the right track, maybe.
    Routledge is starting tomorrow morning, so will let you know what you missed:evil:evil.
  16. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Hey Toad

Great to see you as always and will follow your travels with much interest. Meet your own needs, desires and appetites buddy. Tomorrow, has the amazing option, of changing the direction before you get there.

:clap:clap:clap:clap

Enjoy Doug ! Be brave ...enjoy it all.
  17. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Red. I had the vacuum suck on my F8 once and traced it down myself. The vent tube runs along under the seat to the back, crossing over and running down the rear left side. I found a connection right at the back whick may or may not have been a check valve, don't remember. That could be the source of the plug. Mine was actually a mud wasp that had actually decided to make a nest in the exit tube. Cleaned out and problem solved. My venting is now working great, having run it straight down from the tank. Left the check valve in until I get an answer as to if I really need it but for now it is working fine. The easy fix for you is to just pop the tank between fillings.:D
    Bubs...as always, I owe you big time and can't thank the bunch of you enough. It must be the air cause they make good people in the Kootenays. And, no truer words on the changing direction thang.
    I had opted for an early arrival at Bubba's to solve my "Big Girl" teething problems. Yes, I found a name for her. I've decided to stop calling her Whore or Big Whore for a while as I am truly falling in love once again (good to see it can still happen in the "twilight years"). Over that night and thru the morning I stripped her out of her dress and probed her innards to pull out those pesky snakes that had plagued her. Simple rerouting of the vent tubes straight down from the tank to the center stand I think has taken care of the pressure problem. I left the check valve in altho Jim was asking what and I guess I'm asking the same question. But I do like the little moan she gives every once in a while to expel gas.:wink: But, all seems well for now.
    This did give me pause about my planned Alaska route tho and after checking out Guzzi technical support and availability I have decided to err on the side of caution, for now, and leave the Alaskan side of the tour for the way back.
    The new mosying plan is to head up the rockies via Banff and Jasper, then down the eastern side to find the best high roads all the way down to Colorado where I will turn east to Ontario to connect with some long lost relatives and then on to connect to the original plan.
    But, back to Bubbas.
    [​IMG]
    Ferry ride there was accompanied by these gals on those big, noisy things.
    [​IMG]
    And some Bandit riders from my neck of the woods.
    People were arriving at Bubbas on all types of road bikes. Turned out to be a good crowd.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Isn't it so much better to go to an event where there is twenty or thirty people and not 50000?:lol3
    Friday evening was the great refreshment, Borscht, bbq'd local sausages and Kootenany's fantastic pulled pork.
    [​IMG]
    Had a great ride on Saturday around all those fantastic Kootenay roads and then headed out to Aman's Cabin on the lake.
    [​IMG]
    Our gracious hosts with the damned cutest granddaughter (how the Hell did that happen, Dave?)
    [​IMG]
    Set up the tents right by Arrow Lake as usual.
    [​IMG]
    And enjoyed good talk, good bevvies and and a kickass bbq steak and beans dinner (Ralphy, those beans were the best but it took a day or two for anyone to even want to come close to me again. Totally worth it, dude.:D)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sunday morning we all said our goodbyes, sniff, and headed out to our many different corners.
    Had to stop for some local residents on the way out but Big Girl had a couple of words and they climbed back up the cliff nicely.
    [​IMG]
    My day's ride took me on and past Cranbrook at 130 to 140kph on average without so much as a whisper of a complaint from BG. She seems to love this 5000rpm range best and I am happy to oblige.
    Onward and upward today and most likely off the grid again.
  18. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heading up past Radium the plan was still pretty simple. Up the inside of the Rockies to Jasper, across and start down the other side.

North from Radium
    [​IMG]

But it seems my old nemesis Thor was waiting for me. As I got to the Trans Canada, the old bastard had gotten my scent once again and, well. You all know what it's like to be riding into a black thundering mass. Did I tell you I was too old for this shit? I've already done my time in the saddle so it is definitely time to take the easier route.
    So I hopped on the TCH to Banff but I'll be damned if he didn't look like he was following me.

You wouldn't know it in this photo but believe me, he was lurking!
    [​IMG]

So a way too expensive overnighter in a two star Banff hotel got me turned in a new direction. The weather report for north for the next few days was just nasty so I made my decision to go see my American buds. Headed south past the Kananaskis Lakes and I'll be damned if it wasn't one of the most beautiful rides to date. The area is pristine with nary a burnt tree or beetle kill to be seen anywhere.
    [​IMG]
    Complete with light fluffy clouds.:norton

[​IMG]
    And soon the descent was taking me out and away from these beauties onto the open plain.
    [​IMG]

I was right about the direction as cloudless skies and the heat of the summer finally showed itself. But Thor might have gotten his final revenge by throwing bees at me. There's a question. How far can Thor throw bees? Can he throw bees? Maybe he just paid the bee thrower to do it.
    But I digress. Stopp at one gas fillup I felt a tickle in my sleeve. Popped the velcro and a bee flew out. Thats bee, for not stinging me. Go make some more honey. Next fuel up I was just about to get back on the bike when I was stabbed in the back. Right between the shoulder blades on the spine. I whipped off the coat and was lucky to obtain close by help (guy at the next pump) to get it out for me. It was a big Bumbly, my last I hope, and he got me good. Unfortunatly he didn't make it himself and I actually fely a little sad for the guy. Always liked Bumblebees. The only way he could have gotten in was thru a small neck opening as I guess I had the zip down an inch or two. Hope that's done with. Hey, I'm tryin like Hell to keep my Karma good so, COMEON!

The border was a surprising breese and I motored on thru some great twisties heading down to the flatlands with BG just lovin it.
    Ahead was what I thought was fog till it dawned on me it was smoke coming out of the mountains.
    [​IMG]
    It took a good hundred miles but I did motor out of it. It was somewhere around here my bar mounted remote for the Drift camera stopped working so this is the last pick till next report. Forgot to adjust the wide to normal before I set off so a bunch ended up in wide angle.
    [​IMG]
    Then came a long long day of "super highways" This is partially my fault because I have a new Nuvi 550 GPS that I haven't quite got the hang of yet. I opted for the cheaper unit having previously owned a Zumo and am paying for it a bit now. Not so user friendly as the old unit. A route I thought I had loaded wasn't there and I ended up heading in a general south east direction. Interstates are fast and Big Girl was shoutin 'Ya Baby' back at me but the Scorpion Trails were quickly disappearing, gettin nice and flat on the bottom. I'm thinking 6000 kms may well need new tires. We'll see.
    As for BG, she has stopped moaning to me and I am detecting pressures in the tank but maybe it's just the heat. The reroute vent hose and check were position up and down and I got to thinkin the valve should be horizontal so I re-positioned it thusly.
    I am determined to run thru a full tank without opening it today. So it's off to Jellystone. (Is Yogi still alive?):wink:
  19. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Hey Toad, looks like a good report to follow....

[​IMG]
    I remember chatting with you on the Orca run about the soon to be Guzzi {nice looking machine by the way}

Now with a little saddle time in on it how does it compare to the 800?
  20. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey GB,
    ya I remember our talks. Big Girl (aptly named) is obviously heavier than the F8 but with her weight comes stability. Haven't seen a lot of dirt but even crossing loose gravel on some roads has not shown any sign of wanting to slide around. As a matter of fact, BG is performing so well that I have decided to upgrade her status from whore to mistress. :D
    Now I am sitting in a cheap gangster motel (seems to be a lot of gangster types out there) in Riverton Wyoming at 4:30 in the morning getting ready to beat the heat with an early ride south. Should be in Colorado today.
    Rode up thru Yellowstone and down the south side last couple of days.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gotta say that I never saw any animals. None. Zilch. No Bison, on deer, no bear, no elk. Oh, unless you count two red squirrels at my campsight.
    Saw this:
    [​IMG]
    But hasn't everyone?
    Even tried my hand at some fly fishing on the Madison. No luck there either. Unless you count the one that got away. Damn 12 foot Alligator came up and took him right off my line. I swear! People just gotta stop releasing their pets into the streams, dammit!
    Campsights were all full thru the park so I took the first one available past.
    [​IMG]
    This one cost me a whopping $38! :huh A new record. And one that holds for a long time I hope.
    Then it was south past the Grand Tetons
    [​IMG]

And a stop for some refreshments
    [​IMG]

And ribs
    [​IMG]

BG worked her way thru 9500 ft elevation in this section and altho I think she did protesteth a bit, she came out no worse for wear.
    [​IMG]
    After a few more hours of long hot straight roads we found ourselves in Riverton where Big Girl was immediately treated to a good wash to remove the many bugs in her teeth.
    She sits all clean and ready to find some more mountains for me as I pack up and head out into the chilly 50 degree air.:1drink