Now I am confused.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #242
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
+1
ESA doesn't provide a better shock, so no improvement in handling.
How many different settings does a rider need. One for solo, one for solo w/luggage, double that if you sometimes have a pillion rider. I'd rather put the money into better components. But if ya want to go to Starbucks and park with the GS crowd, ya need all the bells and whistles.....

Paul
Well, I am intrigued by the prospect of ESA and I guess we'll have to wait and see if that includes a better shock. Yamaha made a lot of improvements with the 14, including engine and D mode programming, so we'll have to see if they improved the characteristics of the suspension beyond the point of adding electronic adjustment.

I am intrigued, because I have gone thru lots of $$$ on suspension on my 12 S10 and while it is much better than stock, there are times when I feel that it could be better. Disregarding load changes, which in my case only occur when I am touring with loaded luggage, there are changing road conditions. For instance going from smooth highway to unimproved back roads to some crappy concrete two lanes with those sharp ridges every section. I have Ohlins front and back and have worked with an authorized tuner and when I sent an email to Ohlins HQ in NC for advice on how best to go to the next step in tuning to try to smooth out those ridges that still seem harsh on the front end, I got this reply, in part:

Fred,

Please don’t be offended, but it seems as if you are expecting too much from your suspension. It can’t ride like a Gold Wing, a Sport-Tourer, and a Adventure bike all at the same time unless it has a state-of-the-art Electronic Adjustment System. A conventional system will have to be set up in one direction or the other.

Therefore, I am interested in just what the ESA on the new S10 will do as far as providing settings on the fly that can accommodate different conditions. I will ride one when our dealer gets the first one to evaluate the ESA and also to evaluate the engine changes and ECU updates. I absolutely love my bike with the Ohlins suspension and with the Gen 2 reflash, but I won't know the degree of Yamaha's improvements until I try one. I have had a lot of bikes in over 45 years of riding that were "the best bike I ever had" only to be replaced by another "best bike I ever had". Right now my 12 S10 has that honor, but I don't expect it to hold it forever. Perhaps for a long, long time, but you never know. Got to have an open mind. We shall see.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #243
Ramseybella
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
Now I am confused.
That's a lot of tits!!
Ramseybella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #244
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseybella View Post
That's a lot of tits!!
Wait until you see how much you can adjust them.

Going to need a 2014 owners manual.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #245
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
I'm the guy who fiddles with his suspension EVERY TIME I think the next few miles\ride are worth it.

Both the total weight of passenger(s) + cargo, and road conditions can have a noticeable affect on how the bike responds.
I love playing a role in it.

I'm probably the prime candidate for ESA "in theory". It would be push-button instead of dials and allen wrenches.
If Ohlins (or any quality aftermarket brand) built ESA suspenders with their own ECU and mounted controls, I'd be suckered in.

As it is, it might take me 3-4 minutes to stop and dial things in. A bit more if I'm adding preload at the front.
But it feels like magic to jump back on a experience the result I was aiming for.

Do know this............
If you do monkey with the settings enough, you start to learn what happens and how much to dial in-out.
It's much less guesswork after you experiment enough.

I'll never be a set it and forget it guy. Can't stop myself. :)
Old 11-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #246
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
I'm the guy who fiddles with his suspension EVERY TIME I think the next few miles\ride are worth it.

Both the total weight of passenger(s) + cargo, and road conditions can have a noticeable affect on how the bike responds.
I love playing a role in it.

I'm probably the prime candidate for ESA "in theory". It would be push-button instead of dials and allen wrenches.
If Ohlins (or any quality aftermarket brand) built ESA suspenders with their own ECU and mounted controls, I'd be suckered in.

As it is, it might take me 3-4 minutes to stop and dial things in. A bit more if I'm adding preload at the front.
But it feels like magic to jump back on a experience the result I was aiming for.

Do know this............
If you do monkey with the settings enough, you start to learn what happens and how much to dial in-out.
It's much less guesswork after you experiment enough.

I'll never be a set it and forget it guy. Can't stop myself. :)
You keep that up and you're going to need glasses.

It's interesting. After being grilled by Nick Stolten at Stoltec Moto about my riding style, weight,
bike loads and suspension preferences I realized other than preload I don't mess with it much.

He has a rear shock with three dampening adjustments. It's $300 more. I didn't want to sound cheap
but I honestly felt I'd never use what ever the third adjustment was. Shipped the forks off today and
he is starting on the rear shock.
It's my birthday so happy birthday present to me and the Tenere.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #247
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
The main word I stress on suspension is "Adjustable"

There is no perfect adjustment. Impossible.

Loads change.
Road conditions change.
And for some riders, level of aggression changes.

You don't HAVE to adjust for any of these changes. But the clickers and buttons are there for just that!

I realize the modern road warrior doesn't even like to be bothered to stop and hit a button that changes Traction Control behavior.
But it's freaking amazing there is a button at all for that.

If you can feel the difference between T & S mode.
And you can feel the difference between TC 1, 2, and Off
Then you surely can feel the difference in your suspension being set for Buick vs Corvette. (Or F350)

But yea, you don't have to. :)
Old 11-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #248
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

I'm hoping to notice a difference.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:34 AM   #249
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 427
This summer I did a long test ride on a R 12000 GS WC.
It was the first time I rode a bike with ESA and I was impressed and enjoyed the way I could change the settings on the fly - shifting through the settings really changed the way the bike handled and made for a better ride as the conditions changed.

Considering how well the TC works on the S10 compared to what you find on other brands, I'm sure that Yamaha have equipped the bike with a similar effective ESA.

ESA is in no way a need to have item but it's sure nice to have...
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #250
TommyBwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I'm a big fan of ESA. I had a 2010 GS with it and when I headed off road I stopped, turned off the ABS and jacked up the suspension. On the way home after a long day in the woods I went full soft for an easy ride home. It was great.
TommyBwell is offline   Reply With Quote