Whats your favourite aftermarket seat?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Retics, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Retics

Retics n00b

Oddometer:
    I have seen a couple of nice aftermarket seats for my GS 1150 Adventure, what is your preference ? I was thinking of a Corbin.

Post pics of your seat setup. Cheers.:wink:

http://instagram.com/p/Wams6voS_V/
  2. Ua the Destroyer

Ua the Destroyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I make my own, but I would recommend Rich's Custom seats in Seattle. They can do a mail order or in person fittings. Good excuse for a road trip. People always seem really happy with there stuff, also Russel Day longs are quite popular. I haven't had a Corbin on my gs, but I loved the one on the old klr I had.
    My custom setup I made for me
    [​IMG]
  3. toecutta

toecutta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Frani

Frani Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was undecided for my 1200 GSA and finally I took 2 seats.

Sportsseat from Touratech and comfort seat from Wunderlich for longer rides ...
  5. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Russell Day Long. Happy posterior.
    [​IMG]
  6. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Isnt' there an article in BMWON this month about seats? :D
    I have 2 Bill Mayer saddles. One in the normal 2 piece and one in ADV style. Both were custom fit to me. The GF got one for her F650 also. No complaints from either of us. I got a sargent seat for my RT. I'd rather have a Mayer saddle but time was a factor when I got it. It's still way way way better to me than the stock BMW seat.

I've seen seats from Rich's Custom in Seattle. Really nice work and they seem comfortable. You never know until you actually use one though. I may try them out next time I need a seat.

Be Warned. Seat threads can get as bad as oil threads. Full of unsubstantiated opinion being held up as indisputable truth. :D
  7. Retics

Retics n00b

Oddometer:
    Day long seems ok but not sure If I want the full sofa , might be a little more daunting if I go off road.
  8. Paper

Paper Meh

Oddometer:
    I was ready to go with a Russell, as I'd had excellent luck with them but I was told by two separate Iron Butt Rally vets to consider Sargent..

I had a discount coupon for Sargent and figured that the worst I would have to do is order a Russell and sell the Sargent.. No need.. Sargent is still on the bike and I love it..:clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I wouldn't piss on Mike Corbin if he were on fire.. Worst Customer Service, EVER!!
  9. Paper

Paper Meh

Oddometer:
    Oh, and a buddy liked the Sargent so much on my bike he put one on his 1150GS, too.:evil
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I had them all. The best for me was the Sargent!

[​IMG]
    Corbin- Hard and odd shape for the R1200GS. I loved Corbin on the R1100GS, R1100RS and KLR.

[​IMG]
    Bill Mayer-Too tall, odd shape for me.

[​IMG]
    Russel -Russell was just strange, though I bought it second hand instead of made for me. The sargent was great!

[​IMG]
    Sargent-I put 40K miles on it, and my friend another 100K.

[​IMG]
    Rick Mayer and Sargent- I got the Rick Mayer last thinking a custom seat made for me must be better. It wasn't. It was about the same as the sargent, but the leather didn't wear well, and it cost a lot for a 2.5 month wait.

IMHO, the Sargent is the best bang for the buck for me.

Jim :brow
  11. Retics

Retics n00b

Oddometer:
  12. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I've purchased quite a few in the year and a half that I've had my GSA. I had the Touratech X-LO seat, Touratech Gore-Tex seat, BMW low, BMW standard, Wunderlich GS seat and 2 Sargent seats. The first Sargent I purchased this time of year because Sargent give 20% off during bike week. I think I got mine brand new for under $275 shipped. They don't advertise, but its a sweet deal and cheaper than people sell them used in the Fleamarket. I gave it 30 days and sent it back because I preferred the comfort of my OEM GSA seat even throw I couldn't flatfoot on it. When Sargent came out with their new offroad oriented GS seat thought I'd give them another try and have been happy with it since. I think I've put about 5000 miles on it. The first one I never gave it enough time I think. I like the cover on this one, too because its more durable, easy to grip with your knees while standing and I also got it for under $300 because they just started selling them and had a special. I can. Now ride gas station to gas station without stopping in between (300+ miles).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19708198#post19708198

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Retics

Retics n00b

Oddometer:
  14. WOLVERINE

WOLVERINE Keep her pinned!

Oddometer:
    Is there much difference in the comfort and height between the standard and low version of the Sargent seat? I'm tall in the body and would love to get an 1" lower in the saddle without sacrificing much. The stock seat is a tad too tall for my liking....
    I'm about to put in an order on a Sargent to catch the sale so need to know soon....
  15. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Compared to the GSA seat, yes, there's a noticeable difference in height. Im 5'10" with a 31" inseam and with ESA set to one rider, no luggage I can almost flat foot. I think it compares to the standard GS seat. If I adjust my ESA to one with luggage, I'm at the same height as I was with one w/o luggage on my stock GSA seat. I never tried the Sargent Low seat because my experience with low seats has been cramped knees that got sore much sooner than my butt did. Personally, I'd get the standard height for the extra padding and if its too tall, you can ship it back for a replacement within 30 days.
  16. WOLVERINE

Oddometer:
    So, if the Sargent standard seat is lower than the stock GSA seat then I'll go with the standard seat... Thanks!
    I have a 32" inseam but am 6'1" so wanted to get a little lower in the saddle for the stock windscreen.
  17. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
    I had the Corbin on the R100GS, didn't like it, so went back to the oem stock seat. I put a Sargent on the KLR, rode all day, every day, for a week, exploring dirt roads and trails on Gaspe and in northern NB, love it!
  18. WOLVERINE

Oddometer:
    Just ordered mine to catch the bike week deals. Went with the standard sargent without heat....
  19. navsnipe

navsnipe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just ordered mine too after I saw the mention of bike week discount. I had a Sargent on my Ducati ST2 and it was great.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I have no experience with the regular seat, but the low seat is quite comfortable. Hard for the first 1000 miles, but works in nicely!

Jim :brow