Planning for Forever West 2012

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Abrupt Edge, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Planning continues for this little ride. I made the decision to go with K60 rears on both bikes, although getting one in the right size for the WRR is a problem. None in the states right now. With mostly gravel and some pavement, I think the K60 will be OK. We will just have to deal with any sand or mud that comes along, hopefully in limited amounts. Going all the way on one tire seems to be smart, at least at this point. A new D606 up front is in the cards. Tubliss front and back as I've had very good luck with them so far. I'm still running on a 606 that I plugged in just a few minutes during my ride this Spring in Death Valley. A thorn from my camp site was the culprit. Because the thin carcas on the 606, and probably on most dual sport knobbies, there can ve a very slow leak at the plug, but it's so slow that just a few pumps every two days or so is all that's required. I've had this happen on two tires so far, front and rear, but the ease and quick fix on the trail is a real benefit, especially if it's hot you are in a tough spot for a wheel-off repair.

Our group is still two for all the way, and maybe two more for part, or maybe all. Still room for one or two more.

I'm making an effort to lighten the TE630 as much as possible and will take a shot at modifying the twin mufflers to a single using the stock left hand can. It will take a lot of cutting and welding on both mid-pipe and the can, but if it works I'll have a can that retains the manuf. and USFS approval. Spark arrestor will stay in but be modified for the larger pipe diameter. A Shoai battery is a possibility too, and the above mods will drop almost 20 pounds from up top.

I mounted my new-to-me Garmin 267C in a Touratech mount, and it looks good. I haven't used one of these before the the larger screen and added features vs. the 60Csx will be nice.

I read a very recent report of a bear attack on some camper just outside of Yellowstone, and it's right on our route. It happened at night, and one camper was dragged out of his tent and killed. Two or three others were bitten, one seriously as I recall. The evil doers were a sow and her cubs (2 or maybe 3). All have been removed from the area and should not be released according to reports. Bears are really the only thing that give me pause on routes through this area, but what are you going to do? Using bear spray inside your tent at night while jaws are clamped on your arm or leg isn't a very good option. I guess you just take your chances when you camp in bear country and don't worry about it too much. The odds are very low, except for thos unfortunate few......

The only things left for me to do now are to get a rear rack for the Husky, and find some appropriate pants for my son who is returning to the states for this trip. The selection of something weather proof, with armor, is very slim unless you want to spend some big bucks. I keep hoping to find some Klim Traverse pants, used, size 30, but for a one time use buying new is a bit excessive. I can't find anything else that compares. I use a full Traverse outfit and it's very good in any weather. A few more odds and ends, like another tank bag and hydration pack for the boy, and we are set to go.

It looks like we will hit the trail Sept 03 but not sure where we will stage. We have a meeting to hash this out in a few weeks. Choices are Oak Creek, CO, or Idaho Falls, ID. The former is a lot closer to home for the four of us. Is it time to go yet......
  2. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    I just installed a Shorai lithium battery in my KLR. Knocked 5 lbs. off, not that it shows in a KLR's waistline.
  3. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    And another thing:

There is fuel at a very opportune locale on the west side of the Deep Creek Range, south of Ibapah, way south of Wendover/West Wendover on the UT/NV line, on the Pony Express/Overland Stage/Lincoln Highway route. It is JP General, a tiny general store run by Justin Parker, a native of Callao (pron'd CAL ee oh), on the east side of the range.

I recently spent some days exploring out there, and JP General saved the trip ... that's how remote it is. He has big above-ground tanks, but he says it might be best to give him a ring @ 775-534-1168 before your trip to make sure he has gas in his tanks. He will. Oh, and he works 24/7, sells essentials like high-octane malt liquor, Scotch etc etc., and is friendly as all heck.

Be prepared to pay cash or write a check; his card swiper doesn't always work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Ken it looks like you are going to be about 5 days ahead of us. Tentatively we're looking at Yampa, CO for a start heading west on Sept 8. Have you made any arrangements to store your vehicle while you're gone? I'm just starting to investigate that and any advice appreciated. We'll be looking for your tracks .

John
  5. Magile

Magile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How much rain do you expect? A low-tech, low-buck alternative to fancy GoreTex armor riding pants are a pair of rain over-pants, like the ones below. They can be easily slipped over Klim Dakar pants when wet weather arrives. You only have to add your favorits knee armor.

- M.-

http://www.froggtoggs.com/?outerwear/motorcycle/NTH85105

[​IMG]

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/thor-knee-guards/

[​IMG]

http://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/moto/outerwear/pants/3142-100

[​IMG]
  6. bEnt_bars

bEnt_bars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's probably a stretch but maybe we'll be bumping into you guys along the way somewhere....

There's 10 in our group starting out from Arco ID on Aug 26th heading clockwise and doing most of this track
    And we'll be going thru Yampa to Rangley on Sept 2nd
    Really looking forward to it....

7. Abrupt Edge

Oddometer:
    I think you will be well ahead of us. More than likely we will leave from Colorado, but we will look for your tracks. Cannonshot really started something nice, didn't he.
  8. Abrupt Edge

Oddometer:
    John, if we take off from CO, and I think we will, I had planned to stage in Oak Creek, at a motel there. They are happy to let us leave our rigs parked for a couple of weeks, though there may be a very small nominal charge. KOA's also do this if you camp there to start with, as at Buena Vista. This particular motel also has RV spots, etc., so there is more room than at a typical motel. We have a planning meeting set for 7 July up in North Texas, and our start point will be set then. My son and I have all the time in the world, but one of the others is constrained by having to work for a living. I hate it when that happens! If he can get some extra time, then we may be a foursome most of the way. I'm doing it all!

Next year, it's the Tour of Idaho, or at least part of it. Some of the things that turned Big Dog around will probably flummox me too. TI-2 for sure, and as much of TI-1 as possible.
  9. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ken! We may move north to Oak Creek then. All of us are working stiffs too and time is a problem. Otherwise I'd do the whole thing too. Have a safe trip.

John
  10. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    If anyone needs assistance with a launching pad or temporary storage, I can help if Idaho Falls works for your plans. It's on I-15 about 210 miles north of Salt Lake City, and was the launching point for Dockingpilot's crew when they made their maiden run of the Forever West Adventure Route.

This is a very dry season this year, so far. I wouldn't fret about rain much, tho we desperately need it.
  11. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For basically a one time use I would consider these. CE armor at the knees and waterproof liner, good value at only $70. Cycle Gear is close by so you can go take a look instead of getting surprised in the mail.
    BILT Apollo Waterproof Vented Textile Motorcycle Pants

Or I personally recommend these as a great value at $80 but they are not vented and get hot when temps get over ~95 deg. Very rugged and better suited for off road riding than BILT pants though. These are the pants you saw me wearing at Big Bend.
    A.R.C. Back Country Foul Weather Pants

_
  12. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    A growing wildfire--12,000 acres as of this note--is impacting area of the Forever West route in southwestern Wyoming. Please monitor this website. (Server is struggling mightily to keep up with visits.)

Here

News release here.

Please refer to your Benchmark Wyoming Road & Recreation Atlas, p. 72, 4-G.
  13. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Here's a current perimeter in red overlaid on the route. That's La Barge Creek Road coming in from the bottom.
    [​IMG]

John
  14. Abrupt Edge

Oddometer:
    Well that's the pits! Hopefully it won't force too much of a re-route, and it's still two months away. As long as the roads are clear we'll do it anyway. Lots of miles of the TAT was thru burned over areas. The only benefit was a clear view of the surrounding area. I'm heading shortly to a rally in CO and will have to go right thru the fire area near Colorado Springs. Pray for rain!
  15. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Cell Block FW:

If you are among those who so generously have helped me defray the cost of developing the Forever West route, I would be happy to do what I can to help you plan around Wyoming's Fontenelle Fire, currently more than 45,000 acres and growing. Unfortunately, it appears to be impacting the western Wyoming segment of the 2,800-mile route.

Also, today I returned from further explorations in Montana with two new gorgeous mountain routes that could augment Forever West, although not so conveniently as the Fontenelle area. Just a few weeks ago, further explorations in the Great Basin in Utah and Nevada also led me to substantially expand it with excellent routes there as well.

In any case, since it is a grand loop, it provides options for amendment. So don't fret too much.
  16. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Wyoming's Fontenelle Fire north of Kemmerer is currently more than 57,300 acres (evening of July 4). More than 800 firefighting personnel.

Photo is from www.inciweb.org

[​IMG]
  17. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Wow it's really grown. Here again is the perimeter in red over the route. It has burned the campsite we planned to use. I'm sure there are many to be had.

[​IMG]

John
  18. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    There are. No worries about that.
  19. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tony - I PM'd you. Thanks.

Blaisew- I have followed your planning thread and since I ride a Yam WR250R with the 3.7 Safari tank, I thought I could offer a couple small comments.

1. Fuel Range - I didn't need extra fuel for the Big Empty. I tested my WRR to 210 miles highway range and still had a little fuel left upon fill up. That is plenty for the Big Empty if you fuel at Farson, WY like we did.

The distance from the pumps at Farson to Atlantic City and down the Riverview Cutoff to Rawlins was about 175 miles. We made a nav error riding south on Crooks Gap by turning onto Bairoil Rd east to Baroil, but it was slow going and rocky, so probably didn't save us any fuel range. Certainly the Mineral X road would be the most conservative route since it is mostly paved.

My WRR is stock with stock gearing. I used a Wolfman soft luggage system packing about 35lbs. Our speeds through that section varied from 30-65 with most of it around 50.

2. Tires - The Yamaha will get plenty of range out of any tires on this route. The roads are almost all dirt or gravel, but they are maintained. The Oregon Trail was sandy soft in spots and could be tough if wet I am sure. I agree with Tony's suggestion the Michelin T63 is a great performing tire, lasts long, and also has the advantage of being soft sided so it's very easy to mount or remove by hand to fix flats. For me it's been a great sand tire too. I ran my tires at 35lbs to make sure they had range and didn't pinch flat on baby heads we might hit at high speeds.

If the Husky 630 is like my KTM 690, it will require a bigger rear tire than the T63 comes. I have lots of experience with Mefo tires on my old 950. A rear Mefo will last a long time and they are remarkably good in mud. Not so the Mefo front, though. My choice for the larger bike would be T63 or Pirelli MT21 front and Mefo Super Explorer rear. You should get the range you need on one set of tires and have a very good front end if you run into tough surfaces.

Hope that helps. Really great riding out there. I'm going back this September.
  20. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Awesome advice, Pantah!

I used the T-63 for a long time. I recall getting something like 2500 miles out of the rear. Never got a flat. It was quite good on the highway as well, a real surprise.

Because I so often find myself riding long highway stretches between entry-exit points on routes -- and because I don't care for the exposure between knobs on knobby tires -- I've been trying the Duro Median, which I get from American Motorcycle Tire. (I have no affiliation with them whatsoever.)

It's sold as a 40 percent dirt tire, and the tread is reasonably knobby. It's real good on those long highway runs on my KLR, and seems just fine on the dirt roads I travel as well.

The current rear I have on is at 3800 miles, and will easily go beyond 4000. I've just ordered another set.

There are stretches of pavement on the Forever West Adventure Route. Also stretches of county-maintained gravel, as well as native surface.

[​IMG]