Continental Divide Ride

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by BigDogAdventures, Dec 10, 2005.

1. jprhode

jprhode Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ran into a bit of trouble there in 2010 using (I think) BigDog's tracks. Dunno if you had the same thing but going south we hit a snag navigating between Ottawa Gulch Rd and Blossburg Rd. They run parallel for a bit, and it turns out tracks we used had a point on Ottawa Gulch, and a point on Blossburg and no points in between. On the CityNavigator maps up to 2011, there was no road between those points, and it was really foggy and raining so we didn't see it. But, said map did show the two roads connecting about a quarter mile NE of the track point on Ottawa Gulch Rd. So, we went that way and hit a gate, thus commencing a fukarwe situation. Of course in a dry motel room with a laptop it made sense in hindsight, but it stumped us on the road.

The points on Countdown's tracks are more closely spaced and so I'd guess this would be more obvious, plus this section of road is now shown on CN so if you're using an older Zumo it would be less likely to lose it's mind in this section.

cheers
    Jason
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes Big Dog did it years ago. I think before "x" and could not save active logs. He only had very poor resolution "Saved Tracks".

I collected active logs from at least three groups. I merged them to eliminate all wrong turns, backtracks, etc. I have either 500 points/track for 60/76 or actual active logs (2,000 points/track) for 78. CannonShot also has some good tracks but I think they are only 500 points/track and might have a few off course excursions.
  3. jprhode

jprhode Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All hail BigDog for those initial tracks - I'd probably still be somewhere in the Divide Basin without them. That said, I'm damn glad for the work you and Cannonshot have posted subsequently. I've got them all loaded in Basecamp along with my own from last time and I'm sure that we'll have less fukarwe's this time. Or at least all new ones.

It has been fun to look back at what went wrong last time and compare to newer tracks ridden successfully. Also, the Basecamp feature "View this area in Google Earth" is pretty badass.

Cheers
    Jason
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want to see some really bad tracks, look at R-dubbs Pacific Crest Quest. Been collecting new active logs for that one also.
  5. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Perhaps Jerry wanted to point out that the prescribed alternates are included in the file in the event that wet weather forces someone off the primary route. Very handy to have. In addition to the complete primary route and prescribed alternates, there are also some separate interesting side trips for those that have the time and interest to pursue them. The 500 points per track segments works very well, as evidenced by those who have used them including myself, and accommodates a greater range of units.

Wouldn't want someone to get the impression that there is something wrong with these tracks. :D
  6. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    Cannon - we just used your tracks from Kalispell to Salida area and though slightly low-res they weren't as bad as the Western TAT ones we bought from Sam. I'm gonna say we were lost for maybe 15 minutes out of a week of riding 200mi a day.

And thank you for providing free tracks for a weeks' worth of mind-blowing fun!
  7. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    We will be using the Cannon tracks on the 24th for our ride. I think I have it memorized anyway as this has been in the plans for a few years now. Thanks Bryan.
  8. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I draw almost all of my tracks to be used at the .2 to .3 mile scale for navigation. I tighten them up in an area where there is a potentially confusing segment or choice to be made. Much more detail in obvious segments is often just a waste of track points that can use up the capacity of some units.
  9. jprhode

jprhode Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone ridden the Gila NF and Cuba to Abiquiu sections of the CDR recently? Seems like both of those portions might have been impacted by all the fires in June.

Heading out in a little over a week.

thanks
    Jason
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you mean you hand draw tracks before you first go out to a new trail?

Another inmate posted that he makes a Route in BaseCamp then uses BC to convert it to a track. Very time saving and all track points are actually on the road.

I assume all your posted tracks are Active Logs or Saved (filtered) tracks.

If you set your 76/78 to "Auto" and "Most Often", it will record very few points on a straight road but many more when it twists. I use my 76 to filter tracks to 500 points because it always gives you 500 where as MapSource will give you much less.
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    There were no fire impacts on the area around Cuba. The forest was opened shortly after 4th of July. They have been getting a lot rain. We rode up there last week and conditions were perfect and maybe a little on the dry side. No mud to speak of.

Don't know about the Gila. I'm sure the fire is out, but don't know if FR 150 is open.
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went thru a phase where I would hand draw tracks in areas I couldn't get them from someone.

I tried Basecamp and it does work, but I have drifted back to Mapsource.

I use the 3rd party software WinGDB3 to convert my routes to tracks. It is really easy it use. You just copy your route to the clipboard, then click Convert in WinGDB2. It converts the data and puts it back in the clipboard. So you just Paste it into the tracks area in Mapsource.
  13. jprhode

jprhode Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear, thanks once again!
  14. jprhode

jprhode Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As usual, ask Google and ye shall receive:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gila/news-events/?cid=stelprdb5430865

So I guess the question is what parts of Barsum Rd are closed? From nmroads.com it looks like the impacted section is west of where the CDR hits Barsum but no idea how accurate that is. I guess I'll find out next week.

cheers
    Jason
  15. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    In Basecamp, select the track, right click and select create new route from track. It will ask you the maximum number of points to use. I use less than 200 since that is the limit on the Zumo 550. Enter that number and presto, a new route created from the from the .gpx tracks.
  16. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was talking aobut the oposite. Create a route (that you have never been on) with autoroute then convert it to a Track and you now have accurate Track without hours of hand clicking it.
  17. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    That's egg-zackly how I do it. Basecamp (mac) will go either way.
  18. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Automatic track creation is wonderful, but the manual way wasn't that bad.

At one point per second it would take less than 10 minutes to do a 500 point track.
  19. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. If you have a good route of where you want to go, why would you need to create tracks? Just trying to learn a little here. :ear
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you hunt you will find several threads on the subject.

Most (not all) hard core dirt riders on Dual Sport bikes only use tracks. They just follow the track. In dirt, you must follow an existing route and when you come to an intersection, you look at GPS to see what to do. Also check it every once in a while to see if you have missed a turn. You do not need navagation prompts to follow dirt roads.

Routes have the problem when you download to a 60/76 and then navagate it, it does an autoroute again. If you miss a turn it will autoroute you again.

A Track is a line on the map that NEVER changes.

Routes are great on highways with prompts with street names, etc. Use them all the time in my motorhome but never on my dirt bike.