Texas Hill country. Things to see/ride.

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Silver, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    Planning a trip for spring maybe, hitting up the hill country. I know llano for BBQ, and the three sisters are must stops. Wanting to hear what else we should look for? Just general riding around the hill country, departing from Houston, get there, ride two days, come back.

Must ride roads?
    Must eat places?
    Good lodging?

Also, lastly if anyone knows of any "Biggest in the world" things, pleaaaaaase let me know. I love that stuff.

Will trade AR knowledge for TX knowledge! :D:thumbup

Also, won't be any dirt for me at least, so think pavement. hehe. Although if you want to toss in some must ride dirt roads please do, the trip is open ended for anyone with 2 wheels so there might be some dual sporters there as well.

Lastly, if anyone wants to meet up down there or go down there, that's cool too. I'll be taking the wife and the bike on a trailer to Houston, then leaving the wife at the inlaws and heading out on the bike from there.

Cheers!
  2. Mr. Disaster

Mr. Disaster Professional Gypsy

Oddometer:
    Willow City Loop
    <object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3DqX8LMvzhk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Enchanted Rock
  3. Trail Boss

Trail Boss World's fastest slowrider

Oddometer:
    Hi, Silver.

You've already identifed the must-ride paved roads (3 Sisters and Willow City loop). Most of the small county roads that run all over the place are fun to ride, though none reach the same level as the 3 Sisters.

If you are headed from Houston through Austin and on to Llano, I enthusiastically recommend the following route beginning at the intersection of RR 620 & RR 2222/Bullick Hollow Rd northwest of Austin (near Lake Travis):
    Bullick Hollow Rd west
    Volente Rd west (turn left onto Volente Rd from Bullick Hollow Rd)
    Lime Creek Road west/north
    RR 1431 west to Marble Falls
    Hwy 281 north
    Park Road 4 west / north
    Hwy 29 to Llano for some Cooper's Old Time Pit BBQ

- Lime Creek Road is a wonderful, twisty, sport-bike favorite, wear out the sides of your tires, road.
    - RR1431 is scenic, somewhat twisty, and fun.
    - Park Road 4 starts off as a roller-coaster up and down road and then turns into a great, twisty ride.

Aside from that, I don't know of any "world's biggest..." anything out in the hill country. If you are near Fredericksburg on a weekend afternoon, a side trip to Luckenbach is always recommended.

If your plans change to include non-paved roads and your time frame permits, my spring time, 4 day Texas Adventure Ride is the first weekend in April out in the hill country and includes some of the best dual sport roads in the entire State.
  4. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Enchanted Rock, very cool place for an hour or a day.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/enchanted_rock/

Little story.

Beautiful winter Texas sunset on top of Enchanted Rock.

Me (thinking) If I ever get married I want to do it on top of this rock, this place is so freaking beautiful.

Her (at exactly the same moment as my thought) "I hate this place, I never want to come back here"

Me "That will not be a problem."
  5. oklahoma_mike

oklahoma_mike Wonderer

Oddometer:
    I was in for last year, but we are thinking of hitting CO,NM and shit in the spring and I can only afford one multi day trip at a time. So if things fall though on NW then S it is.
  6. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would add:
    Luckenbach,Leakey,Utopia,Vanderpool,Bandera,Camp Wood,Medina, Frederiksburg(ullta touristy),Kerrville,Hunt,Johnson City, Blanco,Wimberly, TX. to your list.
    BBQ- Salt Lick- south of Austin . Ask any local.
    Bluebonnet Cafe- Marble Falls Tx, food, pie to die for.
    Beer- Luckenbach
    Beer Hall/Dancing Luckenback on a Sat. night .Classic.
    Hilltop Cafe- outside Frederiksburg Road House/Music
    Lost Maples Cafe- Utopia Tx. Daily specials, great pie.
    Frio Canyon Motorcyle Stop- Just west of Leakey, great motorcyle hang-out.
    Lone Star Motorcycle Musuem-North of Vanderpool. Nice bikes on display, Aussie owned, Aussie Food. Neat Place. Vintage Racer.
    This oughta get you started in the right direction, I have ridden these roads for over 25 years and it is always super. Enjoy.
  7. dalej

dalej Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out Rocky River camp in Campwood TX.

Chug will turn you on to some great rides. Especially is you are a dual sporter.
  8. trashed

trashed trashed

Oddometer:
    I am always looking for peolpe to ride with. What dates do you have planned. I live in San Antonio and can take you through the hill country. PM me and let me know when you plan on coming!

9. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    No dates as of yet, thinking April possibly.

Also you guys are effin awesome, thanks for the details thus far! If I have the means I might be on an XR650R, but I highly doubt it. Probably be on the 600RR, but would love to ride with anyone/meet up for lunch or something.

:beer
  10. RipperFox

RipperFox ExplosiveOrdnanceDisposal

Oddometer:
    I'll take my XR650L and the ZX...how big a trailer you got?
  11. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    Haha, Ripper u fukin n00b. :D

Depends on who all is going. I have access to a 2 bike, or a roughly 6 bike trailer.
  12. RipperFox

RipperFox ExplosiveOrdnanceDisposal

Oddometer:
    I got a 5x10 and a 18' car hauler

I have had 9 sportbikes on it, XR's pack it tighter. But a 1/2 ton wont pull it with the weight. Too much for tranny.
  13. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's the other dliemma of a bunch of bikes. I have a ford ranger. Heh. It struggled with 2 sport bikes on a trailer behind it. Granted it was going through cherahola skyway, so I could probably do 2 and my truck ok. Probably have to do multiple trailers/trucks possibly as well. I'll be riding with the wife and two dogs.
  14. Trail Boss

Trail Boss World's fastest slowrider

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I'm guessing that today she is not Mrs. SCQTT.
  15. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    You are correct sir.

She was from IL.

Dating a girl from TX now. :thumb
  16. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    Must be badluck there at Enchanted Rock...:rofl I proposed to my last wife there with a sunset picnic dinner and some local wine...lasted 4 years but have a beautiful daughter out of it.....:freaky
  17. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    This is the narrows place I was talking about. Need to find a line on the owner and see if we can go swimming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. trashed

trashed trashed

Oddometer:
    Holy crap! where is this place????????

19. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    Hah! That's what I'm trying to find out. It's in TX, I'm guessing around Hill country, and is on private property. Has to have rained a bit for it to run so I understand, but would love to camp/swim/hangout there. The search continues.
  20. trashed

trashed trashed

Oddometer:
    Dammit we have to find that place!