Tcat

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Alaska & Canada' started by Deadly99, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    A group of us spent the last few years working on a route across Canada. After many seasons the route is finished. The TCAT, short for Trans Canada Adventure Trail, traverses across Canada from the east to west coast.

[​IMG]

A few items of interest
    • approximtaely 15, 000 kilometers in length
    • consists of mainly gravel roads and trails with about 10% of the route using paved roads
    • the route travels through some remote parts of the country
    • 380 km between fule stops is the max
    • there are optional technical sections for those wanting a bit more of a challenge
    The route is free and can be downloaded from www.GravelTravel.ca

As mentioned, many people contributed to building this route, creating the maps, pre riding sections, providing suggested trails/roads to add, etc

The future of the route, we hope, is in the hands of you. If you ride a section and find an error in the gps files or find a road that has been decommsioned, etc please let us know. In this manner we hope to keep the gps files, maps, etc as up to date as possible.

The downloads are free, we only ask in return for your feedback and maybe a photo or two we can use on the website.

[​IMG]

Waypoints are included for fuel, camping, bike shops, etc

The gps files being offered are at version 2.0
    Pleas ensure you have the latest files before heading out for a trip.

Version 3.0 will inlcude detailed pdf maps with geo enabled waypoints along with a word document with some inportant information. The pre relase that we are offering is to enable folks who are planning a trip in 2013 to get a jump start on their logistics.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have :thumb

cheers and thanks
    :freaky

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ubGxTAWjIuU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. jacob_ns

jacob_ns Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No love for Nova Scotia. :(

As a Maritimer, I feel we've been given the cold shoulder.

That said, tremendous effort went into this. Kudos on a hell of a job well done.
  3. Olliwood

Olliwood "One life, live it!"

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the enormous effort! Great job
  4. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode the section north of Fernie last Sunday.

Got about 50 miles north of Fernie and came to a bad washout - but somebody else had been through so I went for it. Dropped the bike, had to unload it to get it back up, bulldogged it through about 30 meters of rocks and stuff, reloaded, went on.

Only to run into an impassable washout about a kilometer up the way.

Turned around and went back, got across the first washout with only unloading the top bags and spending about 15 minutes moving rocks to make a better way.

Was going to suggest relocating that section eastward to the next valley as there is a better road there, but that tracklog above looks like it solves the problem too! Will get back to you later on what else I ran into coming across... got some tracklogs for you too.
  5. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
  6. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Revision 3.4 is now available.

The route has been ridden in its entirety now by folks from Canada, New Zealand and the UK.

Cheers
    :freaky
  7. hellyhans

hellyhans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi this is amazing! thanks for all the information!

I looked on the website and I'm having trouble finding the maps.

Also, is there a paper version of this that will be available? Or do you know of a book/atlas that I can use as a reference?

Thanks
  8. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Gps files...shoot me an email. Several folks doing the route have hand written the route onto fold up road maps. In several areas the route uses trails and roads that don't show up on paper or electronic maps so using the gps files is quite important :thumb
  9. hellyhans

hellyhans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks for the information...I will send you an email at the moment, I also wanted to give a donation on the website and wanted to know if you guys had some stickers also.. The store on the website gives me a 404 error page.
  10. brbo

brbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello All,

I tried emailing the address on graveltravels.ca - is this the only means of getting the newest release of the File ?

Thank You
  11. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    At the moment, yes. The website got hacked back in the fall and I am still rebuilding it with a new Web hosting company. I got your email....I haven't been near a computer in a couple of days. Sorry for the delay :thumb

It was another busy season on the TCAT, and next season seems to have a few different groups in the planning stages.
  12. brbo

brbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome - I just thought I'd look around here for the files as the inmates are on top of this stuff...

As long as someone got my email - perfect

Thanks for all the hard work !!

13. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    ruckusracing likes this.
  14. brbo

brbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the one I was looking for, was using TCAT in title search only..

Looks like I'll busy for a while..

Cheers
  15. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is awesome. In early August, I will be in Old Forge, NY at a small rally and I hope to find one or two riders to slip over the border and ride some of this. If anyone is following this thread, and wants to join, let me know. I will be on a Super Tenere and my partners will be on Vstroms.
  16. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    This requires a 'Bump' surely....!!!!
    Sappercrg and cal08 like this.
  17. truckerchill

truckerchill n00b

Oddometer:
    How much of this is a legal road ? Meaning drivers licence needed.Reason is I 'll have a 14 year youngster with me .He is technically allowed on trails but not official roadways.
  18. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    The Trailway in NL is legal for the non licenced though there will be spots he will have to use the road system. Gander to bypass a few things and a couple of other short spots. Have you considered leaving the trailer in N. Sydney and traversing the Rock with him from Argentia to Port au Basques? Done on quads all the time.
    Once you head north from Deer lake on the TCAT you will have to use most of the 430 to reach Labrador and the Trans lab is all road requiring a licence.
  19. truckerchill

truckerchill n00b

Oddometer:
    Do you know how heavy they are on the check ups if any?
  20. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Same as any other road in Canada. Spend the day cruising along and you might not see any. On the Trans lab you will see some. I would not take a 14 year old unlicensed, uninsured rider over it.