South Central Nevada Snow & Road Conditions

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by 2on2off, Mar 18, 2013.

1. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Four of us are going to begin exploring the dirt roads and mining towns of South Central Nevada and the Toiyabe National Forest. We are planning to ride Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Four days would be better because we could then make it all the way to Austin, NV but that will have to wait for another trip.

Any information and feedback from those of you who have already ridden there is appreciated because some of the mountain passes are over 10,000 feet.

I am planning this trip with the Nevada Road & Recreation Atlas by Benchmark Maps, 2012 Third Edition, Revised. This was recommended by another inmate and it is by far the best Atlas I have ever bought. All roads and attractions referenced will be from this Atlas.

I am also using Garmin Mapsource software and will be using a Garmin Zumo. I like mapsource because I can switch to Google Earth in the view tab and see if my route is taking me where I want to go. I am also using Google Earth and street view to find what I am looking for. Finding gas stations is the biggest challenge so if you know where the gas stations are in South Central Nevada, please let me know.

Day One:
    We plan to ride from Big Pine, California to Silver Peak, NV and spend the first night in Tonopah. We plan to get gas in Dyer. I hope they are not the kind of place that runs out.

Day two:
    We ride east on highway 6 to the Saulsbury Rest Area and then head north into the Toiyabe National Forest on road 056 and explore the historic mining towns of Belmont and Manhattan on our way to the town of Carvers on highway 376 where we hope to find gas.

Need to know if Carvers or Hadley actually have gas!!!!!!!

Then we ride north to Ophir City Mining remains and head west over the pass which takes us up to 10,000 ft. Is it passable this time of year on road 017???? Anyone been there lately?

Then ride S/W on 21 to Berlin Ichthyosaur State Park. Then work our way back to Tonopah for the night.

Day three we ride back to Big Pine via Silver Peak and head home.

Here is the area I hope to explore but know it will take many trips to even get a glimpse of this 150 mile X 80 mile area. Should be fun.

[​IMG]

Belmont, Nevada
    [​IMG]
  2. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    There is suppose to be gas at the Esmeralda Market in Dyer, NV.

[​IMG]
  3. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Gas shouldn't be a problem in Dyer, been through there a dozen times and they always have fuel. Not many travelers go through there, just the local Fishlake Valley residents.

I do know that mud can be an issue in the Toiyabe NF this time of year, slick snot type of stuff, same north of 50 in the Eureka area. Silt in the summer equals mud in the winter. Just keep your eyes peeled in shaded areas and you'll be fine.
  4. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When do you expect to be out there?

I plan to be poking around the southern part of your area 3/24~3/28 before heading to the Noob Rally at PSR.
    I'm sure I will pass through Goldfield and Dyer at some point, maybe as far north as Tonopah :dunno
    Weather is looking great :thumb

-M
  5. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    We will be there this weekend the 22-25th. Friday night in Big Pine. Riding from Big Pine Saturday morning to Death Valley Road then north to Dyer. Then Silver Peak, Paymaster Canyon Rd to Tonapah.

Sunday a loop north of Tonapah to Manhattan, Belmont, Ophir and Ione ghost and mining towns and then back to Tonapah.
  6. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they make mud flaps from my KTM? :D:D:D:D

Thanks for the heads up. Those shady corners on the north slope can catch you off guard. We will keep an eye out.

I'm hoping it will be dry because it has been a dry winter.

On summer street rides in this area, I have seen lots of riders on dirt bikes coming out of these hills in the Toiyabe NF.
  7. 2on2off

Oddometer:
  8. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stopped for gas in Dyer once. While I pumped fuel into my V Strom and then had an ice cream, one car stopped for fuel. Then an ATV pulled in and filled up. Then a guy pedaled in on a bicycle ... he was riding across the country. While we were chatting, a teenage girl rode up on a horse to buy something at the store. Motorcycle, car, ATV, bike, horse ... in 5 minutes. I'll never forget that, nor the stunningly beautiful valley it's in.

-dman
  9. gonridn

gonridn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey there. was at middlegate yesterday and could still see plenty of snow on the arc dome area of the toiyabe. trying to get from ophir to yomba isn't going to be doable for some time yet. i have been turned around there well into the last week in june a couple years ago. better to go south by peavine and cloverdale then up to ione. have fun!
  10. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Gonridn:

Thanks for the heads up. That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I will re-route accordingly. I was able to find all the points you mentioned on my Benchmark Nevada Atlas. Love that Atlas.

Do you think we can make it through to Belmont and then to Manhattan on road 014 going from east to west? Looks like the road might go up to 8,900 ft.?

Since this is my first time off road to this area, I appreciate any and all feedback from those who have been there before.

Any other suggestions?
  11. gonridn

gonridn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey jim, sent you a PM.
  12. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    Looks like a great route. I did a ride in the Austin/ Eureka area a few years ago, Nevada is awesome. Looks like you may pass by Martha's punchbowel ( I think that is the name) I am in Beatty Nv. right now, but am heading south. Have a great ride.
  13. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    I have two routes for Sunday. One takes us to Belmont, Manhattan and then Ophir but we don't know if we can get over that 10,000 ft pass this early in the years.

So I have created another route to Manhattan, Belmont, Diana's Punchbowl, Spencer Hot Springs and then into Austin for gas and lunch. That will be about 150 miles before we get gas.

Then down Reese River Valley to Ione Summit to Berlin and then back to Tonopah. That will be another 150 before we get gas. A long 300 mile day but I think we can do it as everyone in the group is a good rider and we can make good time. This won't allow for any long stops along the way.

I consider this a "scouting" trip so we can find out where some of the areas are we want to come back to. The three days of riding will be about a total of 700 or so miles assuming no mechanical issues or surprises.

It is going to be a cold ride.......
  14. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Did a short shake down ride this evening in Big Pine up to 7,800 ft. All three KTM's ran great. This was Richard's first time riding his "new to him" 450EXC.

I also recently installed a new ignition map on my bike as well and it ran great.

We will get gas and breakfast in Dyer, NV tomorrow morning.

[​IMG]
  15. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, I hope you have fun and post something up on your return.

I just talked to the FS lady in Austin on Monday and she was very pessimistic about conditions and that there was more snow there than in the Sierras??
  16. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. If all goes as planned, we will be in Austin for lunch on Sunday.
  17. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Rode in freezing cold yesterday morning and spent an hour enjoying a breakfast burrito and hot coffee in Dyer just to thaw out. Couldn't keep my hands warm all day

In spite of the cold, we are having a blast in Nevada. Amazing place for a dual sport ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rode next to some wild horses and pronged horn sheep N/E of Tonopah yesterday evening. Was the highlight of yesterday's ride. By the time I stopped, took off my gloves and got my camera out, all but one of the four horses were out of sight.
    [​IMG]
  18. Ironwood

Ironwood Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer:
    Where is that Ho Tub / Spring in the pic?
  19. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Fishlake Valley, north of Dyer.
  20. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well how was the rest of the ride?