Aluminum rear tank for the 990?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Todd34, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Todd34

Todd34 Toubab

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input CJ. At least now I know why it keeps stretching. I'll trim it again. I love the tank and had a lot of comments on it at the BWDR camp out this weekend.
  2. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    ... did you ever get a chance to find out if your tool tube/tank will work with Jesse racks?
  3. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Look at the top image on page 4.
    http://www.jesseluggage.com/pdfs/O2_KTM_950_990.pdf

This bracket on the Jessie's looks to be higher and further rearward than the KTM bar set. Causing the our EXB or LST to hit the frame rail.

I know the older Jessie version rack system does not work b/c of this.

At this time I will not be making a Jessie version as it would require a new design.

We might be able to offer this but we would need:

- A local rider to come in with there bike with the most current Jessie System installed and have a 2-1 system installed or want us to put on a 2-1 system. - Please Email me if you are interested or have a contact you could pass along.

- I'd need to see interest for at least 10 riders that want an EXB or LST for the Jessie bike setup. - Email me to get on the list, and feel free to post interest here too.

This is what the KTM setup looks like to compare.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    How about some cable clamps that you can stick on with strong double-sided type? The tighter the tube hugs the tanks, the less likely it is to get torn off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    I agree and they are not shipped out with the tubing that slack. It depends on what you are putting inside the tank that effects the tubing.

Those stays are very trick, but are made for a curved surface "Tube mounting" from what I can see.

I will get some stick on tubing holders and update the next batch built. I can send some of these out to current owners too. Please email me direct with shipping info and they will go out as soon as they arrive.
  6. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice tank CJ. I'm going to have to get one now. With that it should give me my goal of 400 mile range. That's 75 past my :moon ability.
  7. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Curious as to the need for this tube?

Also I looked on the cjdesigns site and don't see this as orderable.
  8. Todd34

Todd34 Toubab

Oddometer:
    The tube is a way to see how much fuel is still in the tank. You don't have to have it there but it is cool to know how much fuel is still inside. The tank is good to go and I highly recommend it. It mounts better than the other options I've seen (and bought) and I like the way it looks as well. CJ makes some quality stuff. Send him an email and I'm sure he'll give you the scoop on buying the tank.
  9. Tee2

Tee2 I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer:
    Hi Craig.

I have the new Jessie racks on my 990. I don't have a two in one though. If you can't find one more local I might be able to ride up to you again. It would be two weeks out at best.

If I ever find a job I would be up for a tank for sure.

Todd
  10. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I'll call CJ.. want to be sure this tank will work with the Wolfman racks on my 990.
  11. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Hi Todd,

That sounds great. Weather is getting pretty iffy around here though and we'd need to pull your pipes. I'd figure a full day of bike work and R&D to get this taken care of on your bike.

I'd like to see how many interested Jessie Luggage owners there are before I have you trek up.

Anyone interested, email me. Once I get 6 interested riders, I'll take a look at it. I'll need 10 pre-orders to get this version made.

Main body would be the same for the Tool Boxes or Tanks, so either version works.
  12. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    No problem with Wolfman Racks. That's what I have on my AWD 950 ADV.
  13. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another great option. How much does the tank weigh?

Comparison to the stock exhaust can it replaces?

Thanks
  14. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    3.15 lbs for a powder coated version.

Lighter for the Bare Alum version.

Not sure off hand what the Stock Silencer was (12-15 lbs with the 2-1 collector?). I'm sure someone can post a weight of that soon. :D

More pics of Black one here.
  15. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks craig - If I end up with a 990 I'll be giving you a call for general advise and...order.
  16. zorchdog

zorchdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey i have the new rear tank mounted on my 950 with an older set of Jesse bags. Minimal work was needed to make it fit. the mods consisted of making a spacer to shift the tank a little bit and re-bending the support that comes up from the footpeg mounting bracket.

Just piled a little over 13K miles since I mounted the tank and it revolutionized the way I ride. No longer sweating about gas has removed a major riding issue. I ride well into my reserve light and still have another 1.7 gal after that. For those of you who haven't had the chance to find out how far your bike goes after the reserve light comes on I have hit 43,42,51, and 60 miles before having to change over to the reserve tank. Set it up with a valve in the right spot and all you have to do is reach down and turn it on.
  17. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
  18. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got my tank today, anodized black. Craig made a change and has small "keepers" made into the tank that the fuel hose goes through so it doesn't sag.

Few questions...

1. What size/length of fuel hose are you folks using to tie into the front tanks?
    2. What fitting are you using to tie in?
    3. What sealant are you using to seal up the nipple that goes on the "exit" at the front?
    4. Can someone clarify what the purple hose in the kit is for? (Put on the cap?)

Again - quality build, light and out of the way but a run-down of extra pieces needed and some how-to of plumbing it into the the system would be nice. I'll do more reviewing of posts and pics but anything to add would be helpful for the 990 newby.

Thanks
  19. Todd34

Todd34 Toubab

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  20. Tee2

Tee2 I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer:

Do you still need photos of Jessie racks? I can get you some photos if you still need them.

Todd