slash2 question

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by weeman, Nov 7, 2012.

1. weeman

weeman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the encouraging words and sorry you don't have yours any longer. I guess I was lucky to happen on this one and now get that. I've always loved older machinery that's why I drive my Mk1 Cortina GT when not in my modern work truck. Whenever I need to go fast I'll jump on my r1100rsl to enjoy speed.:clap

Cheers,
    Steve
  2. caponerd

caponerd Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I didn't check to see if anyone's already said this, but that doesn't apply to slash 2 models. They don't have a butterfly, and the throttle cable pulls the slide, not intake tract vacuum resulting from opening the butterfly as on later models.
    Just hold the throttle wide open, and you'll get an accurate compression reading. No need to remove the carbs.

btw, how do you delete an embedded you-tube vid from a quote? Every time I tried, my browser window went blank, and the video soundtrack started running. (sounds pretty sappy, if you don't mind my saying!)

3. caponerd

caponerd Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    The ones that sound great being wrung up to redline are the R69 models (the S, and non-S), with their higher compression ratio, and higher redline.

No regrets for me, I'll never sell mine, it's a family heirloom when I'm gone.

4. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    They, (other drivers) can just go around me if they don't like my speed.:lol3

You'll get run right the fuck over in my neighborhood if your not hitting a comfortable 80...:evil
  5. weeman

weeman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In my town there'd be a gun battle. :lol3
  6. isdt BMW

isdt BMW willserv@aol.com

Oddometer:
    I was a british car guy as a kid, sold my 57 TR3 to buy my wife a wedding ring, found that very same car 41 years later, bought it and still have the wife too. That bike will go all day at 55-60mph, do the slingers and ride it anywhere, touring on an antique bike is more fun on secondary roads. you see more at 55mph, less stress too.
  7. weeman

weeman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It sounds to me that you invested wisely when you sold your TR3 to buy your wife of 41yrs a wedding ring. I had a good 23yr run (I thought) but the kids grew up and she wanted to find herself. Now at almost 60yrs I'm riding again with a semi modern bike and a vintage one with a new found sense of awareness about myself again. Oh well, life has it's twists and surprises.
    I think I'll use the r1100rsl for the freeway trips and the r50 for slower trips as your right about seeing more at 55mph.
    isdt BMW thanks for the insight and interest.
    Cheers,
    Steve