Tire Air Seepage

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by PRW, Aug 9, 2010.

1. PRW

PRW living @ 11.5740741uHz Supporter

Oddometer:
    Up until my last tire change, I had been running TKCs for years. Besides being excellent (though short-lived) tires, they always held their air pressure at a rock-solid PSI for months at a time.

I switched to Anakee-2 on my last tire change - based on a higher ratio of on-pavement vs. off-pavement riding planned for this summer. Also an excellent dual-sport tire and very pleased with it overall.

One thing I have noticed however, is that both the F & R tires lose about 1#/week - not a huge deal, I know, but it is a bit of a nuisance. I've thoroughly checked for leaks around the valve stems and rims - nada. Does anyone have experience with some tire brands "seeping" air more than others?
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Assuming you changed your valve stems, the tire shouldn't leak at all.

That said, the Pilot Road 2 tires on my ST leak a bit, about a pound a week.

A couple things I would normally suggest, like scratches on the bead seat, or debris in the bead, don't make sense on your, or my, tires since both are doing it.

Jim :brow
  3. PRW

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim - thanks. Agreed - they shouldn't leak - but since it's happening on both my tires, and at a fairly equal rate, then I'm wondering if certain rubber compounds inherently "seep," osmosis-like, through the compound itself. In describing the Anakee-2, Michelin's website indicates that they incorporated a new "Silica-charged rubber compound."

Again, having to top-off 1-2#/week is hardly worth whining too much about, but I am curious as to what might be going on here.
  4. lopaka

lopaka Curiouser&Curiouser

Oddometer:
    Yup.

I've got Anakee 2's, GSA spoked wheels, and front & back seems to lose ~1 psi/week.

Since it's consistent, it provides a cadence to check the pressure (beyond the normal preride tink-tink-tink/thunk-thunk-thunk front/back tap).

5. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Hey..I hear you folks talking about 1-2 psi differences..I know you realize that ambient temp makes a big difference; as does the temp of the air you put in...stabilize tire pressure [if you filled or added to it, let it sit for a day] then re-check at the same ambient room/shop temp ..obviously not after running on the road and generating heat..
  6. PRW

Oddometer:
    C'mon Phil - give us more credit than that... :beer

Yes, of course - I'm checking these pressures under an "all else equal" setup, i.e. same ambient temperature. What other method can you use when expecting an accurate tire pressure reading? Also, I haven't merely done a 1-week sample. The 1-2#/week pressure loss has proven to be cumulative.
  7. RogerA

RogerA Continually Confused

Oddometer:
    Had the same problem until I started using Ultraseal, now the pressure remains stable for months.

Since the valve didn't change I seems to me the leakage must have been general porosity.

Just my $0.02

Roger
  8. Nitzo

Nitzo Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Credit? Sorry only cash! No disrespect intended...I saw 1-2 psi and thought that most gauges don't even have that precision and hell the needle on my gauge is almost that fat...and of course temps come and go...no, I understand that you leveled the variables.