The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Good question, as I use either ProGrip 714 or 737 gel handgrips on all my dirt bikes and really love their comfort. I would not use them if the OEM grip heating elements had to be destroyed. I use DualStar or Symtec heated grips for my dirt bikes but these in no way compare with the OEM BMW heated grips.
  2. sbrownn

sbrownn SlowMo

Oddometer:
    You can cut the grips away with a razor blade without harming the heating elements. It is a common technique for replacing the rubber part of the grips.
  3. sbrownn

sbrownn SlowMo

Oddometer:
    One of the short comings of the LED lights is that they don't get hot enough to melt snow. Riding home last night I had to stop every couple of miles to clear off the headlight and motolights, both of which are LED.
  4. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So you're saying the heating elements ARE part of the grip itself? It's difficult for me to visualize how to cut a "rubber" part of the grip from a "heating element" part of the grip, unless the boundary between the two is pretty well defined (maybe it is).

Have you done this?
  5. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    In old GS (and I suspect remains the same), there is a thin uninsulated wire going round the grip just below the rubber. "Normally" (BMW way) you get special grips to replace them. Normal people in practice cut the rubber part CAREFULLY so no to cut the wire (not that you cannot fix it, but why make things hard?) and then you put nice normal grips for like 1/10th of the cost.
  6. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    My sense is that the rider sits more toward the rear, further back from the steering crown, on the LC. Perhaps due to the down draft EFI and new air box.

Paul
  7. sbrownn

sbrownn SlowMo

Oddometer:
    I'm saying they are not part of the grip itself. It's like the grip is an extremely tight fit around the heater part. You just start a slit in the grip on the inside edge and carefully cut with a razor blade as you stretch the slit apart. It really is quite easy to do without cutting the heater wires. I have replaced the grips on both sides twice. For BMW you use the throttle side grip for both sides. That means you have to purchase two sets and just use the throttle grip from each set.
  8. Steve W.

Steve W. Boxer Pilot

Oddometer:
  9. b-crow

b-crow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, when are you going to sell your 2013 so I can have it?
  10. cardoctor1

cardoctor1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    had a similar problem with the new traffic lights in town. led saved money except the lights were snow covered .had to add some kind of heater to keep the light warm.
  11. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    When the R100RS hit the market, everyone noticed and asked about the group of thin brown lines that ran across the fairing's headlight glass. I don't have anything official, so this could be incorrect, but at the time we were told (by a now defunct BMW shop in CT) that they were there in order to catch a little heat so that ice would not form in the glass.
  12. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is supposed to be a fan in the LED headlights. One purpose is to cool the junction point of the LED's themselves and another is the excess heat is blown at the front to melt snow and ice. The full description and pictures is in a link somewhere in the early days of this thread.
  13. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    It’s in the BMW press kit... although depending on the ambient temperature, amount of snow falling, and how long the LED headlamp is on (ie how warm it is), the circulation of warm air would be insufficient to clear snow which can build up in some conditions even on standard halogens... even after several hours of riding, the LED headlamp on my bike usually feels cold to the touch at the front.
  14. OzOldrider

OzOldrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, been here awhile just lookin. Anyway how you guys finding the seats on the new GSLC. I have an RT with all day seats which are great.

Just wondering if I will have to go that custom seat road again if I go for a GSLC. Only sat on one so far felt ok, I just about always ride 2 up so dose the rear set stack up for your passenger? probably more
    inportant.

Thanks in advance
    Bill
  15. vikingolly

vikingolly Iron Butt Rider

Oddometer:
    They do, and they are very good.

16. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No idea about the first, but I don know a bit about the second. Although I do weigh more than 140, about 145, I do think I know a bit about that. The preload is a bit higher then it should be, but that only creates a bit harder ride. If I want my comfort I just put it in comfort. It improves a bit with 2 cases and some luggage (not that it is bad). I only put it on 1+ luggage when it is all packed up with 3 cases, rolbag, ...
  17. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Add another value? Asian, European or North American? :rofl
    A bit like the clothing sizes. :D
  18. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I try not to drive mind when it snows to much. And over here that shouldn't be to much of a problem.
  19. sbrownn

sbrownn SlowMo

Oddometer:
    Well, the temperature was right at 32 degrees. If the heat system won't melt snow off the lights right at freezing then it won't work at all which has been my experience. Generally I don't ride when there is snow but sometimes it starts snowing late in the day after I have ridden to work. Because of where I live I can usually get most of the way home before I have to stop and put the chains on.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Thing is, many of us use headlight protection. Even traditional headlights wont heat enough to keep the ice/snow build-up off the protector.

If the weather is that bad you shouldn't be riding at night.:deal

Jim :brow