colorado- license and registration please

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by xcflyn, Oct 12, 2011.

1. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have wasted enough of my evening on the net trying to figure out what it costs to license my bikes and 1ton truck in colorado. I am a full time RV'r and spend 9 months of the year in Colorado. I need to take residency, it will save me my hunting and fishing license fees , but is it going to break the bank to plate my bikes and truck ? Can anyone tell me what the fees normally are ?

Thanks
  2. Free2Speed

Free2Speed Just Lucky I Guess

Oddometer:
    2008 klr 650 69.00 this year
    2006 klx 250 63.00 this year
    2006 dodge dakota 169.00 this year
    2010 camp trailer 149.00 this year
  3. Identdoit

Identdoit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just switched my AZ title and plate/registration to CO on my 07 KLR650: 176.00
    1983 GMC S15 108.00
  4. Slumdog

Slumdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Minimum price for a vehicle for me seems to be about $88. My trailer-$49. Bike (newer) - $180.
  5. Oldwin1

Oldwin1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was told CO vehicle property tax is a sliding scale based on both how old it is and assessed (supposedly "market") value. New vehicles seem to be 2.5-3% of assessed, and then that % drops each year for 5 years to basically zero. All you pay after that is a lic. fee of $50 or so. So for example my 2002 R1150GSA has a "tax value" of 12920, owner tax is $3, lic fee is 45. Total $48.37.

Someone also told me sliding % scale is 5 years for cars and 10 years for bikes. I know for a fact it is 5 years for cars, and at least that for bikes and trailers. Basically entire tax revenue burden is shouldered by newer vehicle owners.
  7. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Registration on my new Sprinter was ~$800 this year :eek1
    Then add over $3K in state tax and the DMV made me wanna :cry

Note with your RV: they may require you to bring a scale certificate. I had to weigh the sprinter at a local registered scale and present them with the certificate even though the thing was brand new and had its weights stamped inside the door :patch

Register in Texas :deal
  8. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:

On the one ton, if you use it to pull the RV, register it as a REC Vehicle. That will save you some. Cost of plates will be based on taxable value of the vehicle. My 95 GMC 1 ton is 58 a year, but is also plated as a farm truck.
  9. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend has a 1-ton Dodge with a flat-bed - had to register it commercial. Big bux :eek1
  10. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    The minimum cost on an older bike is $48.37. I just renewed 2 of them.
  11. Osprey!

Osprey! a.k.a. Opie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought my 01 Lexus in 2008, which made it seven years old. It had only 29,000 miles on it and I got a great price, which is why I made Secret Agent do a fly and drive :evil.

When I registered the car, I was surprised to fork $2,000+ to cover taxes and registration fees. I distinctly remember complaining to the clerk because they were using their own measures of valuation (not the sale price). She told me that if it were one year older, I'd be paying a fraction of the cost because it slides off the scale. Again, it doesn't matter what you paid for the car, they have their own internal valuation for each vehicle.

So.. not 5 years, 7 years for cars. At least here in Boulder County, and that was back in 2008. The rules may have changed since. In Boulder, it is tax advantaged to buy low mileage cars that are at least 8 years old.

Can someone confirm for motorcycles

-O
  12. chacha

chacha CAT Herder

Oddometer:
    These are all Adams County..

2003 chevy 2500HD would have been $250 this year
    2011 chevy 2500HD $954
    2010 mitsu lancer $418
    2010 Duc hyper 796 $214
    2006 KTM 450 $77
  13. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK you may be right, I was actually told 5 years in Boulder county by someone at the tax office. Maybe they don't even know. I lived there until 6/09. Anyway the major part of taxes on a newly purchased (not nec. new) vehicle is sales tax. Did you know your sales taxes are lower if you buy out of county? For example when I lived in Chaffee county, if I bought a car within the county and registered it there I would have paid over 7%, if I bought it out of the county I paid 2%. So guess what I did when I needed a new car.
  14. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Wives 2010 Ford Edge was $680, this year we paid like $490 I believe. I think the trailer was like $40, but I registered it as a home build trailer....not as a Kendon with a value of $2,550 new is what I paid...LOL My 2005 Jeep GC was like $200 this year. I think the XRR is like $50.

CO has stupid high cost. I use my Kendon a handful of times a year, so I tossed on the Good for Life plate I got in MI, took off the CO plate. Probably use it even less that I ordered a Hitch Carrier this week.

People of this state were stupid not to pass the bill last time to lower registration cost to $10. Although I agree it was too low, it would have been a wake up call. I'm not hip on the WEALTH tax, and that is what it is...there is no REASON a Porsche 911 should be $4,000 a year to plate...LOL I remember once learning that turning to the wife and saying, well out of principle we won't be buying that Dodge Viper you always wanted...or if we do, we will register it in MI, TN or elsewhere.

Much better states to claim residency in then CO. Pick one with no income tax like TN, its why my parents built a house there, and my father for a long time has been claiming residency there for his federal job....LOL
  15. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    Colorado is a great state for residence if:

1. You own real estate as property taxes (IMHO) are low. And property, outside of Boulder, is still very affordable by national standards.
    2. You don't own a lot of newer tagged vehicles. Older ones are reasonable.

A 2010 new 4Runner was:

$800 in year one for tags.
    $600 in year two for tags.
    ??? but I bet around $400 for year 3. etc...
  16. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jefferson county... trailer runs me about $100 a year.
    Truck's about $120.
    Bike is $80.
    Sled's $30 (to state parks).

Thieves. [​IMG]
  17. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Interesting side bar (we recently had a similar discussion in my adventure van thread)

...we came 4th.

comparing states: 2008: Comparison of registration fees for a 2007 Toyota Camry MSRP $22k

[​IMG]

...time to move to South Carolina boys :rofl
  18. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Why is your sled trailer so much Muley? What do they base it on.. length? axles?
  19. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dunno. There's brackets for weight... Since I didn't know, and didn't have a weight slip, she put me in the lowest one (:wink:) on the condition that if it ever is weighed and it's wrong, that I need to go in and get it changed. So... I just won't ever have it weighed. I think some of it is based off purchase/bluebook price too.
  20. Lounge

Lounge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're a disabled veteran you are allowed to register one vehicle per year for free in CO. You will need a letter from the VA proving this.