BHB's First XR600R + Winter Rebuild

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Brauhausbier, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:

I think I get your point and so will add that local prices for plated dirt bikes vary quite a bit with location. A $1500 bike here might be $2000 in Southern California and $1000 in Idaho. It's as much about DMV rules as about honest supply and demand.
  2. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:

I thought the price was fair considering the condition, extra parts, and that all important title and license plate. You could find cheaper for sure, but maybe not with the BD kit, aftermarket parts, or title and plate. I've been thinking about a build project for a long time and didn't want to shell out another $3-4K for a barely used DRZ, WR, or something simmilar. These XR's are great bikes for riding here in Oregon, and I know this XR will last a long, long time! The ledgenary reliability is a big reason I picked an XR600 project. And I wanted more HP than my 04' DRZ had :lol3 + Low end gunt - :deal
  3. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Harbor Freight sells a media blasting kit if you have a compressor. If yer only gonna use it 1x, then get the cheap one. If yer making a habit outta blasting stuff, get something nicer.

Someone with more experience in these things'll come along and call me a 'tard here soon, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt

M
  4. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gummee! There is a Harbor Frieght just minutes from our home! I'll check that out this weekend! Thank you!:freaky
  5. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Look for coupons first!

They usually send em out/post em up. May as well join the ranks of us cheep bastages so you can spend more on yer XR!

M
  6. AltRoute

AltRoute AltRoute

Oddometer:

Here is one from yesterday
    http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidgets/common/displayCoupon.do?hdr=mag&week=0111&campaign=a_retail&page=0111a_retail.html&cust=99999999999&keycode=0000

They have a sand blaster - just can't see the frame going in there :huh

and as usual - lots more stuff you need but will never use . . . .
  7. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    The plate is worth a couple hundred right off the bat, and you'll spend about five bills on a Baja Designs kit. There are cheaper kits and other ways to go, depending on your state's laws....but that was a fair price.

I paid $1350 for the '92 that was the basis of my build thread, and the best thing it had going for it was being mechanically sound.

Getting some of the other stuff up front takes the sting out of building a $6,000 example of a $1500 bike :lol2
  8. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    +1 Never pay full price at HF unless it is something that you just can't wait 2 weeks for. Almost everything they have goes on sale regularly, and you can use a 20% off coupon on the sale price. (That is if the sale price is not a coupon itself. You can't use two coupons on the same item.)

If you need a 20% coupon, ask me next time you see me. I always have at least a half dozen in my wallet.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=blaster

9. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:
    Luke! You rule! Thanks so much for pointing out that the Mikuni on my XR is the two stroke model TMX38!

Anyone looking for a TMX38 + Promotion Vortex Throttle + cables and housing?:lol3 I'll get this FS on the Fleamarket soon.

I found a good powdercoating shop in SE PDX.www.classactpp.com Quote I have here is $200-275. Not bad.

Luckily I scored a complete throttle, housing, and cables off a 93' XR600 from Ebay this morning which looks in good shape! Luckily I still have the OE carb in the parts box (but not the OE throttle).

No time to work on the XR this weekend. Heading up to Mt Hood for some sking with a few inmates:evil
  10. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

Boy, that's about $60.00 to $135.00 more than the guy near me charges for an XR frame and bits. Side stand, peg mount, etc.
  11. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve. I'll keep hunting around. I'm still getting a frame of reference on powdercoating :lol3Cheers!
  12. WB-PDX

WB-PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike came with $500 (used parts value) worth of uninstalled 'extras', a plate with brand new tags, and a BD kit with all the fixings - It was a good value in any location.

I know the bike *looks* stock in the pictures, but the list of parts\mods the bike had when sold is massive.

There's also no reason anyone 'had' to tear that bike apart.
  13. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:
    I still feel good about the deal. I'm not complaining. I was looking for a cheap XR that I could rebuild. I must be going through that mid-life crisis that I was hearing about...adding more projects into one's life must be a sign.:lol3

You have to admit wade, that bike had not been cleaned in years:lol3
  14. WB-PDX

WB-PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hosed it off, sprayed it with cleaner, then hosed it again, and wiped it down after every ride. :dunno
  15. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:
    no worries..every part will get shiny once again:lol3
  16. Dino3310

Dino3310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

i thought it was a good deal for the buyer, you would pay a shit load more over here for one so 1500us would be a steal for me:D
  17. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

Ya get better results if you give it a little hand work. You know, a brush or a sponge. Works wonders on that sticky mud. Eh?
  18. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Super ! ! ! Another thread to follow during these cold winter months. I enjoy seeing what you guys are up to even though I'm doing good to know the difference between a screw driver and a hammer. Maybe if I follow enough of these I will absorb something. :D

Subscribed. :clap
  19. Zombie_Stomp

Zombie_Stomp Aspiring human

Oddometer:
  20. Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier Focused

Oddometer:
    High freezing levels on Mt Hood = no snowboarding this weekend (rain at 10K feet).:cry

But another free day for the XR rebuild project. This is keeping me busy in mid winter:lol3

Had the grateful help of our resident PDX airline pilot FlyJosh yesterday to help me finish stripping down the XR to the frame and get the top end off the motor:evil

Rear Swing Arm Removal
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This XR is grimy, oily, and just plain caked with layers of grease and road grime:puke1
    [​IMG]
    However...not one bolt was over torqued or rusted together:clap I was amazed.
    [​IMG]