My R80 monolever (1985)

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by RJB (holland), Nov 25, 2013.

1. TelemarkSean

TelemarkSean Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you describe how you relocated the ignition key switch into the headlight bracket? I would like to do the same thing to my '85 R80. I'm more curious about mounting the switch than I am about the wiring (which should be simple).

Thanks.
  2. RJB (holland)

RJB (holland) AIRHEAD

Oddometer:
    I bought a used ignition switch from a R80/7 (I believe it was). You can still order everything new. I just needed to buy the mounting rings/washers, rubbers and large nuts. The hole on the left (headlight and mounting bracket) had to be enlarged and these parts were recoated.
  3. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Thats what I needed to know. In the 691's you can only clamp real thin wires but they told me these were the biggest ones. So I will order some 692 ans 3's
  4. RJB (holland)

RJB (holland) AIRHEAD

Oddometer:
    It's the Siebenrock Replacement Kit Extra with the pushrods already in the cylinders. I can't say there's more vibe compared to the stock cylinders, maybe a little bit more above 4.000 rpm than before. The heads are also changed for a better fit on the bigger cylinders and they have been lightly flowed. Do you notice more vibes on your bike?
    The carb setting will be finetuned after the break-in period. I'm trying to take it easy now...
  5. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

Once warmed up, ride it like you stole it. It will love you for it later on.

6. RJB (holland)

RJB (holland) AIRHEAD

Oddometer:
    That's how I do it. Never had a bike that used too much oil. Warm it up, take it easy in the first 10-15 minutes. When it's warm I go through the gears a lot and break on the engine.
    At the moment the main jet is probably a bit too large, not for breaking in (taking it easy, rich mixture) but later we will sort it out.
  7. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    It can take some time to get the jetting correct. My R100GS (build thread link below) with the Siebenrock 800 to 1000 powerup kit has been on the road since January this year and has currently done a bit over 18,000Km. Until recently, fuel consumption has been OK, but I felt that I had to "make" the bike perform.

At the first major service (15,000Km) the builder reckoned it was a bit lean, so he went up in the main jet very slightly and it went a lot better. He went up a bit more, but I felt it was not quite as good, so he reverted to what it was originally and went up in the needle jet. What a transformation, the bike really wants to jump and now does most things at a very small throttle opening.

The builder said that he had originally jetted it as for a standard 800cc, but as it has the asymmetric cam things were not working as they should.

I am doing some fuel figures and if they are the same or better than before we will leave things as they are. I might also try going to a lower grade (cheaper) fuel to see if it likes it. The builder of my bike has an R80GSPD of his own that is R100S spec and it runs quite happily on 91 octane and gets excellent fuel economy.
  8. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are the 693s:

[​IMG]
  9. RJB (holland)

RJB (holland) AIRHEAD

Oddometer:
    I took her out for a trip last week. This bike is great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

Great looking bike alright and if you try very hard, in a a few decades and about 500,000Km you can get it to look something like this.

:lol3

[​IMG]
  11. RJB (holland)

RJB (holland) AIRHEAD

Oddometer:
    Work in progress! The R80 is here to stay.
    Is that yours?
  12. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Not mine, mores the pity, just a local bike.
  13. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had this same bike, but '87 with S fairing, back in the 90s. Loved it. I dig your mods. Nice work. Bike is badass.
  14. RJB (holland)

RJB (holland) AIRHEAD

Oddometer:
    Further improvements on the R100R fork and height adjustment added on the rearshock. All done at Hyperpro. Top service!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I mounted the BMW kit that can make all 4 indicators blink together.

[​IMG]
  15. RJB (holland)

RJB (holland) AIRHEAD

Oddometer:
    I picked up my bike last Friday at Edelweiss Motorsport. Dirk and his team did a great job on this R80 mounting the Bigbore kit, R100R ported heads with twinspark, Ignitech ignition, 40mm Bing's and new exhaustsystem. It all looks original / stock put the power has increased: 100Nm and 90HP and it's about to get a bit more once the engine breaking in has been done.

I'm very happy :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Uh oh, you haven't got a 5252 crossover - Supershaft is going to say your dyno chart is bullshit.
  17. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's because the chart isn't using ft*lb for the torque units, it is using NM instead.
  18. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Ha! I have seen hp/ftlb charts not cross over at 5252 here. BS! Metric? Translate please. I have no experience making or reading them. I hate to upset the 'data' crowd but there are a lot of BS dyno charts around.

I would like to hear the thinking behind the sunken valve seats. It lowers compression for a fact. What about valve shrouding? What about it effecting port shape? The good flowing heads I have been around basically made the ports as tall in the heads as possible. Sinking the seats shortens them from the get go?

I have thought of doing just that with the exhaust. How is it working?
  19. RJB (holland)

RJB (holland) AIRHEAD

Oddometer:
    Dear SuperShaft, give Dirk at Edelweiss Motorsport a call and he will give you all the information you need and you will learn from it. He tried it all and seen it all and has more than 30 years experience tuning Airheads, Porsche and other cars and bikes. Everything he does and says is based on this experience and can be measured. There is no other tuner that gets more torque and HP out of these engines combined with reliability and driveabilty.

Most of the people here are good wrenchers and think they're doing the right thing but Dirk is an engineer, constructor and tuner. That's a different story.
  20. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Don't try to hijack every thread I am in opie. If you had read some of our discussions here, you would know that Dirk and I are very often on the same page. Dirk very often points out what I have been saying here for some time now. It's funny but actually working and tuning on these bikes on a professional level will do that. If I were in your shoes, I would shut up and listen. That's what I use to do but I have put in a lot of time and travel now working on our bikes at stateside famous race shops and whatnot hence the good questions. Some of which never get answered here but they should be a good source of conversation versus the personal BS you are trying to start. Go away.

Are you guys going to hijack yet another thread? So far it's only two of you. There's two dozen more that could show up. You know? What you guys regularly refer to as 'the forum' or 'everybody'. The rest of us hopes not.

Half ass attempt at trolling ss? That's what you guys do. You know? What you guys accuse me of: Trolling and hijacking.