GS to RT to GSA

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by IND GS, Feb 1, 2010.

1. IND GS

IND GS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After having a '07 GS with the various problems (antenna ring, fuel pump relay, malfunctioning ABS) I sold the bike for a slightly used '08 RT. The RT is loaded with all options ESA, TPM, ASC, CD-Radio, heated everything. The RT with all its options is certainly nice and very comfortable (when the roads are smooth) and is really an eye catcher, but there is something missing from the RT compared to the GS. The GS was certainly an all rounder with better handling (i had installed ohlins) and better manuverability. I didn't have to worry about potholes just keep the tire pressure right. So after about 3 months ownership I put the RT for sale and was sold a few days ago. Now I am taking delivery of the brand new 09 GSA with ESA, ASC, and TPM. The '10's wont be available for a few months but I am quite happy with the '09 which should iron out all the problems of my old GS. besides I can change the antenna ring, fuel pump relay by myself. I've also done most maintenance on my GS by myself so the GSA is basically the same bike. I think the GSA is the right bike for me.
  2. eng943

eng943 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's too bad we can all have one of each. I just ordered a 2010 RT in Polar mtallic all loaded up with thoughts of selling the GSA.

Both are great, I just can't seem to keep my mind made up for more than 9-12 months.:D
  3. nokaoiken

nokaoiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going to buy an RT but purchased my GSA because thought I might want to ride off road occasionally. I have had my 04GSA for 1.5 years now and have never went off road with it. Until yesterday. I headed out for a couple of hour jaunt. There are some nice twisties on a road to the Tahuya forest near Belfair, WA. I used to camp in the Tahuya forest with family and friends alot and ride off road bikes. But I haven't had an off road bike in several years.

I asked myself why not? I rode through main parking area and got a few waves from off roaders. Probably thinking to themselves, what a dumb___, you can't ride that bike here. Then I hit trails. I spent an hour riding them and DID notice the extra weight occasionally. There are alot of whoop sections, huge water puddles and lots of exposed roots. One hundred yard uphill section had 6" logs across trail every 20". I just kept my traction and hit these rolling over them. No problem.

It was alot of fun, brought back alot of great memories and I will head out on these again. I just need to decide before I leave home that I am gonna do this and I'll bring some lighter gloves. I did not like using Gerbing gloves as it was too warm even with them unplugged.