Buy a 2012 GSA or wait for the 2013

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Oggie, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Oggie

Oggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Basically, I have my mind made up mostly, but would like to solicit opinions.
    What I plan on doing is finally getting my first BMW bike, been wanting once since I saw one in college. I can get a 2012 GSA while I am still posted overseas at a decent price or I can wait and get a 2013 when I return in the US. My reluctance on the ’13 model is it could be water-cooled, but with that come first year production runs and all bugs associated with it. While from what I have read on the forums is that the ’12 model has them all pretty much worked out?
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>I plan on using the bike for some off-road work in the NOVA/DC area and beyond, but its main use would be to get me to DC and back on the HOV lane. Since I could be stuck in DC traffic from time to time (if not all the time) should I be worried about the 2012 overheating (stand still traffic I would just turn it off) or would the water-cooled version be best for what I want to do with the bike?
    <o:p> </o:p>So from what I have wrote can I get some opinions buy 2012 now or wait for the 2013 based on what I can get and what I will be doing with the bike.
  2. PARIAH

PARIAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You've given no time frame on your return.

I would wait. I can see no reason to purchase something you will not be able to use. The interim time will allow you to research more fully your options. By then your fancies may have changed.
  3. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having a 2010, having experienced all the common problems these bike seem to have....I'd wait for the 2013 in hope that BMW finally fixed the &$^$%^$ final drive weakness and annoying fuel strip (now float) issues.

I wouldn't worry about it overheating.

Like the other guy said, wait until you are back in the US, then make a decision...but if it were me and my money, I'd wait for the new design.
  4. Oggie

Oggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry...

Basically either in Dec 2012/ Jan 2013 or Jun 2013

I can get the 2012 immediately to use here in the UK which I woudl love or wait until the new year and snatch up a 2013
  5. PARIAH

PARIAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok... get the 2012 now. You'll have plenty of time to bond with your new scooter and will not have wasted this season.
  6. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Curious where you'll be offroading in the NoVA area....

I've had similar thoughts. The problem is that I don't see the 2012 bikes being much of an upgrade from any of the 1200s. I mean, they made little changes along the way, tweaked the steering a little, changed the brakes, but the difference between an 08 and a 12 is really minor. I sort of think the best plan would be to look for a deal on a used one, and keep it a few years. I wouldn't buy the first year of the new version, but that's me. Give BMW a year or two to work out the bugs, and enjoy riding now.
  7. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I'm a strong proponent of instant gratification.:D

But, I gotta tell ya, I've had numerous 1st year bmw's with only one problem. And that fueling issue was fixed by a flash.
  8. Wdwrkr

Wdwrkr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd have to agree with spagthorpe on this one. I really like the old tried and true air cooled boxer. This motor has been around since god made light and it's still runs circles around most v twins. It's reliable and proven, for off road that's what I want. The water cooled is intriguing, but I got to see it first hand. I mean loosing a water pump, or puncturing the radiator in the wrong place could be grim. But that's just me. I'd look for a sweet deal on a used one and see what the new looks like. There was a great GSA on the flea market last week.

Pete
  9. RynnStorm

RynnStorm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since you are asking. If I needed to ride now, I would buy something very used and wait for the 2013/2014. The new 1250GS is going to be a game changer... If for nothing else but to post how great a modern water cooled bike is. :D

My two cents (based on zero facts) is BMW has been working on this bike for a long time given their current model is doing well. With all that time, the 1250GS is going to be a really nice. Maybe even a working fuel gauge.
  10. Oggie

Oggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have thought about going down a used route then upgradeing, but upon discussing witht he wife, I know its horrible, if I get a used one she will not be happy if i want a new one 2-3 years later, but she has agreed to a new one purchased and kept for the long haul.
  11. Wdwrkr

Wdwrkr Long timer

Oddometer:
    While why didn't you say so earlier? The wife's involvement certainly complicates this, but not really:lol3. Here's the plan :wink: buy a used one :D hide it somewhere :evil and ride the shit out of it :wink: then in. A year or so you can trade it on a 1250 and she will be stoked at what a great deal you just got :huh. Sure if she finds out she might be a wee upset :eek1 and she wonder where you are always sneaking off to:evil, and where all the money is going :1drink, but she will probably chalk it up to an affair :rofl, file for divorce :deal and take everything:huh but here is the beauty of the plan :ear... She doesn't know you have the bike so you keep the bike :wink: now your free and penniless :puke1 so what better time to get on your bike and see the world :lol3. I know it's beautiful :eek1. You can thank me latter :freaky
  12. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the Spring 2013 delivery date for the Wasser Boxer is only a guess. No one, but BMW really knows for sure. Some are saying it could be as late as 2014. Plus they usually bring out the standard version first, and then bring out the Adv model later, which will add even more time to your wait. Best get your Adv now.:deal:1drink
  13. Twister

Twister Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would get the 2012 GSA (with a proven motor) now and wait a couple of years to see how the new water cooled 1250 does. Then if you still want the 1250 GS, you can sell your 2012 GSA which will still have a good resale value and purchse the new 1250.:clap

I have a 2005 1200 GS with 67,000 mi. and it still looks brand new and runs better than when I bought it. These bikes are great!!:nod
  14. DualMule

DualMule Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm with buying a used one, riding it for two, three years and then trade up after BMW and the farkle shops settle on their water cooled versions. Just work out the plan with the wife before you pull the trigger...you can do it...I believe in you.
  15. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most smilies used in a single post award of the day, and a good story told with them as well :lol3
  16. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why not wait until 2014?
  17. flightestman

flightestman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get a used 1200Gs get a new R1200GS get a new liquid cooled 1250GS, If your choice i knew about that liquid cooled boxer I didn't like the intakes exhaust and I wanted airfoil. Also your right if you look back in 2009 people were writing the same thing they are now it going to be out this fall with liquid cooled boxer, I assure you the motor is plenty of power for 205lbs man. More power with the liquid cooled boxer would only gain me speeding tickets. if you want to ride now then buy R1200GS, if you can wait till and wonder take the chance to wait a year later, Why it been not liquid cooled of so long was because it is a boxer and the piston stick out in the air flow. it make it simpler design and am more reliable engine for adventure riding. I had a long time to think about this. I came to conclude this is my very first BMW. If I had waited i miss the iconic 90 year old design. At this point their only one reason to pursue a liquid cooled boxer for BMW, The boxer engine people want over the bricks, but functionally it not the most efficient design for a adventure bike, its low to the ground, its very wide for trails, You could get a better bike for dirt, you want a BMW though look for a liquid cooled in the future RTs road models,l but keep the air/oil for adventure riding. You can always later on sell it and take that money and buy a liquid cooled boxer with a very nice downpayment in hand. Then you'll look more rich having 2 type of boxers you get nostalgia with others about the old and new design. you weigh out negatives and you weigh out your positives, it different for everyone thats how i look at it. it still your choose, get a used 1200GS, get a new R1200Gs or get a new liquid cooled 1250GS. i was happy with my purchase of R1200GS and having the 90 years old history only et better with age. Ill look for the liquid cooled in the RT road bike the cowling will hide the ugly intakes from the top or GT i may be over the boxer engine now that i have a R1200GS
  18. Oggie

Oggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I am too impulsive and would not to be able to wait that long.

After reading through some posts and my personal feelings, I am gonna go ahead with the 2012 model. Will post up once I know the exact specs/options I am gonna get.

Thanks for everyones posts on this matter.
  19. sh2515

sh2515 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you get one nowish I'll take a week off and we can go up Scotland camping, I live in Yorkshire so on the way to Scotland from you. Everyone who had bikes round here has lost the ability to camp let alone on a bike; so it would be good to have someone to go with, also gives me an opportunity to try one of your MRE rat packs - sound Gucci to the British stuff I used to have.
  20. rforrester

rforrester Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Buy a used GS until the 2013 is stateside. Sell the used GS with little depreciation and buy the new one. The new one is under warranty, who cares if it breaks.