Northern Riders SIGN IN!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ZZR_Ron, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Lappeman

Lappeman He's Down Again!

Oddometer:

What...is there something BackRoader's not been telling us :huh

More of this? :eek1
    [​IMG]
  2. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    The St. James bridge incident involved an FJ600 in 1984. No salvage value after that one, scrap only..
  3. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the new KTM 390 Duke that could be coming to Canada for 2013 might serve as a suitable spiritual successor to the RZ350. Of course it will lack the ring-dinger's character. But the performance specs should be close. And the fuel economy should be much better. :wink:

[​IMG]

1984 RZ350

Displacement: 347cc two-stroke twin
    Weight: 375 lbs wet
    HP: 48 at the crank

2013 KTM 390 Duke

Displacement: 375cc four-stroke single
    Weight: 329 lbs wet
    HP: 44 at the crank.

Mike
  4. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    Hey Mike, RZ's were made when the words "fuel" and "economy" were never used in the same sentence.:rofl

The KTM looks nice and here in Manitoba it will probably be over $1000.00 to insure.

The 1983 RZ will be $100.00 this year as it falls into the Vintage Bike category.
  5. Lappeman

Oddometer:

All the numbers on the Ktm are small...except the price :lol3 no wait, should be more like :cry

It also weighs almost a pound a cc...:eek1
  6. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob - did you make it out yesterday? I took advantage of the weather (9 C today) and installed my Highway Dirtbikes handguards, mirrors and clamp onto the WR250R today. Took it for a spin out to Wildgoose beach and around town. If the weather keeps up - I might not have to put my bike away this winter. :D

Ha..ha.. Never mind the cc to weight ratio. 44 hp at 329 lbs full of fluids looks pretty good.

And it is being reported that the 390 Duke will be built in India alongside its little brother - the 200 Duke. Apparently, the build and component quality of the 200 Duke is exemplary. And both the Duke 390 and 200 share the exact same chassis - which will save on costs. Furthermore, if memory serves - representatives in the U.K. are reporting that the 390 Duke will be priced slightly LOWER than the Ninja 300 there. If that proves true - and similar pricing compared to the Ninja 300 occurs in Canada (if it comes here) - this will be some pretty stiff competition for the Ninja 300 and Honda CBR 500.

Mike
  7. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah - Manitoba insurance rates for newer (even small displacement) bikes are completely wacked.

Mike
  8. Lappeman

Oddometer:

Nope, was already to head out and got a major sinus headache...one of the perks of me living in this wonderful area :huh

Bike's still ready, if the weather stays nice this week.
  9. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    I'm afraid nothing is ever a fast a you thought it was.
    ;)

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
  10. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    I am not expecting much, just hoping to get another classic into the stable.
  11. isplat2

isplat2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

....so they had to scrap the bridge????

Awesome! :super
  12. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    good luck on the hunt backroader
  13. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play Mad about thumpers

Oddometer:
    Got out for about 4 hours on the old DR650 today. I see they have chip sealed another 13 kms of the road to Northern Lights Lake since the last time ZZR_Ron & I ventured that way. Saw a Gold Wing on 11-17 and 4 Harleys parked at Kakabeka, so I wasn't the only one out riding.

Wee-Strom & KLX are put away for this year. Hope to get out a few more times on the DR as the next 5 days looks pretty decent.
  14. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    Well today was 8C and slightly foggy in Sudbury. Got out to my bikes and pulled the batteries out and got them covered up. I managed to ward off PMS for another day first by taking my CRFL out for a blast down some trails. The day can't be considered done until you have the front end wash-out in some loon shit, almost save it, and end up dumping it OFF the trail.

Good day. :D

But now, I just wait for the PMS to set in and make plans for rides I have neither the time, or the money, to take next summer.
  15. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    make plans for rides I have neither the time, or the money, to take next summer.[/QUOTE]

That's the way to do it... :evil
  16. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Sorry I haven't been touch lately. (with anyone) Crazy busy with family stuff.

17. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    Ron, you have been under ground so long, didn't anyone tell you, it's Spring.
  18. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    It was plus 9c and the sun was trying to break thru as I sat in my Living Room stuffing my face with fudge! I thought, get up off the damn couch and go for a ride! I headed up Kam Current to the school to drop of pop cans...good start...roads are wet and have sand on them. I'm figuring from the morning frost, it made the pavement slick as hell. I looped back around to Hwy 591 and went onto the old section of 591 that runs past the old homestead. Buildings are really looking worse than they were before. I got onto the gravel road and it was really slick and muddy. I headed into one of the old pits and go figure, bald back tires don't work so well in deep gravel :lol3

Old homestead on old Hwy 591
    [​IMG]

Old 591, you can still see the paint in the center
    [​IMG]

Ya, I need a new rear tire for this!
    [​IMG]

I looked for the old trail over to another backroad but they had plowed the forest up in front of it, so I tried to find another way across. This looks promising, I said as I notice what looked like an old bush road slightly grown in. It got worse as I went and eventually I hit a large tree down across the trail and with the bald tire and muddy ground, I couldn't even get the front wheel to hop over it. Back to the main trail I went and found another spot that bushwhacked for a bit and then linked up to an old trail and back onto the other road. I plowed thru the trees and onto the trail and made it to the bush road. 3 hundred feet further down the road and I found a new trail that everyone had made to cut across...:huh Oh well, on I went cutting back across to Dog Lake road and around inbehind Surprise Lake where the maps don't show the 2 roads connecting...but they do at a small rough little hill section. I stopped at the lake and found the ice to be 1.5" thick but kinda soft.

Well, it looked like a road at one point
    [​IMG]

This is the correct road
    [​IMG]

Ice on Surprise lake 1.5" thick but soft
    [​IMG]

Continuing onto another gravel road, which again was slicker than snot. It had 2" of mud over a frozen icey ground :eek1 I finally looped back around to my place and by then was covered in mud head to toe but it was worth the effort to get out and ride :clap Tomorrow I will be taking the Ktm into town for an appointment and then who knows where from there....

Slick roads caught someone out
    [​IMG]

Gotta wash the damn bike again!
    [​IMG]
  19. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    Hard to believe , mid-November and still out riding. It will make winter seem a lot shorter.

a week ago Friday.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and yesterday....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the dirt roads were pretty messy and slippery....did a good highway run, wasnt cold at all....
  20. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    It would have been nice to get out, but I have to mostly stick to the phones and email...too much family stuff happening.